The Munki's Playground

Cool. I did not notice anything that looks bad from lowering the lights so far. The lights come back on in a couple of hours so I'll be able to check progress.

Day 11. Satori 5 is still green so it isn't totally dead (so far). The other two Satori seedlings still have partial shells on the cotyledons and they seem too delicate to remove them at this point. They are really stuck on; may be a trait of the strain.

The bagseeds are lookin' good. All cups got a soak of 1/4 strength Lucas Formula with SuperThrive added.

072010-pic1.JPG

072010-pic2.JPG

072010-pic3.JPG

072010-pic4.JPG

072010-pic5.JPG

072010-pic6.JPG

More normal temps have returned to our cozy beach. Lights did recently come on but still nice to see these readings for the seedlings. The outside sensor is on the bottom of the tray in the middle.

072010-pic7.JPG

Check out how low I am now going based on everyone's advice. I could go a bit lower but it gets warmer and there would be little room for growth.

072010-pic8.JPG

072010-pic9.JPG

Very interested in the Satori. I had a hard time deciding which mandala strain to get. In the end I picked speed queen. I will definitely be watching to see how it grows for you. I may have to try for next grow.

GL Munki!!:Rasta:

I've got an 8 bulb New Wave T5.....40k lumens...and I had that an inch above my seedlings. Your plants will like it!

I'm a little concerned about your growth rates, I'm used to seeing them grow a bit faster....how much N is in the Lucas formula?

Maybe the new lighting will get 'er done. Also, I had success getting the husk off by spraying a couple time and then pinching tweezers together, putting the points inside the two halves of the seed husk, and slowly releasing my "pinch" on the tweezers. They popped right off, no damage.

Glad to see you aboard Pit. This is new territory for me so I'll be looking for everyone's 2 cents.

Very interested in the Satori. I had a hard time deciding which mandala strain to get. In the end I picked speed queen. I will definitely be watching to see how it grows for you. I may have to try for next grow.

GL Munki!!:Rasta:

If I don't kill them first with my impatience! Thanks for the support.

I've got an 8 bulb New Wave T5.....40k lumens...and I had that an inch above my seedlings. Your plants will like it!

I'm a little concerned about your growth rates, I'm used to seeing them grow a bit faster....how much N is in the Lucas formula?

Maybe the new lighting will get 'er done. Also, I had success getting the husk off by spraying a couple time and then pinching tweezers together, putting the points inside the two halves of the seed husk, and slowly releasing my "pinch" on the tweezers. They popped right off, no damage.

Just started putting the lights down to 3 inches over the tops only yesterday and now only for the past few hours have the lights been lowered to the 1 to 1 1/2 inch mark seen in the photos. Nutes have only been applied for the past few days; it's in my journal. Only 1/4 strength but I'll step it up to 1/2 strength soon. Checked my source on the PPM core nute strength of Lucas Formula.

For the Lucas Formula, GH Flora (ml/US Gallon)

7.5M-15B-0G

gives this nutrient profile.

N-P-K-Mg (ppm)

122-99-171-68

I put in 2M-4B-0G in 1 gallon so I calculate the Nitrogen PPM to be 33.

When do you think I can push a full Lucas strength? After I see the second node form?

I'll give the tweezer trick a shot if they are still on there tomorrow night. The stems should have hardened a bit more by then. They are my only two out of ten that made it this far. Satori should be perfect for my grow space parameters. Heat resistance and pest resistance are nice traits to possess.

Glad to see you aboard Pit. This is new territory for me so I'll be looking for everyone's 2 cents.

If I don't kill them first with my impatience! Thanks for the support.

Just started putting the lights down to 3 inches over the tops only yesterday and now only for the past few hours have the lights been lowered to the 1 to 1 1/2 inch mark seen in the photos. Nutes have only been applied for the past few days; it's in my journal. Only 1/4 strength but I'll step it up to 1/2 strength soon. Checked my source on the PPM core nute strength of Lucas Formula.

For the Lucas Formula, GH Flora (ml/US Gallon)

7.5M-15B-0G

gives this nutrient profile.

N-P-K-Mg (ppm)

122-99-171-68

I put in 2M-4B-0G in 1 gallon so I calculate the Nitrogen PPM to be 33.

When do you think I can push a full Lucas strength? After I see the second node form?

I'll give the tweezer trick a shot if they are still on there tomorrow night. The stems should have hardened a bit more by then. They are my only two out of ten that made it this far. Satori should be perfect for my grow space parameters. Heat resistance and pest resistance are nice traits to possess.

I'm certain your plants will turn out perfectly......keeping that in mind, the suggestions/observations I make are because I'm a curious grower trying to learn....plus I'm a bit stoned right now. :blunt:

From what I can see, the Lucas formula seems very light on the Nitrogen.

1.2-1-1.7 I personally look for 3-1-2, which matches NPK of leaves of most plants. Just something to think about.....I've seen hempy growers have trouble with Lucas.....but there was some guy around here recently who grew amazing plants using it....go figure.

What's your take on that?

Anyhow, I was going to ask you, are you planning a scrog this time?

The nutrients would not be considered organic. I'm sure there are some sources from mineral deposits in GH Flora. Doesn't make them bad; the nutes are quickly made available to the plants but levels should exhaust quickly.

I would not ScrOG seeds and especially un-sexed seeds. Clones all taken from the same mother are ideal for ScrOG. Right now, I'm trying to ID some good genes to start a couple of mothers so I may just ... GASP ... grow them out regularly!

Day 12 for bagseeds, day 2 for Satori. Thanks goes to DocBud on using tweezers to get the shells off. It was a kind of skin that lines the shell that seemed to be stuck on the cotyledons. Appreciate the tip.

Nutes for feeding are as follows.

Bagseed got a 5M - 10G of GH Flora in a gallon. This is 2/3 of full strength Lucas. Satori got the 2M - 4G mix.

Lights have now been lowered to within an inch between the highest leaf and bulb surface. Fan blowing at one end and pointing a bit up passes air over the bulbs and down the other side of the hood farther away from the plants.

072110-pic1.JPG

072110-pic2.JPG

072110-pic3.JPG

072110-pic4.JPG

072110-pic5.JPG

072110-pic6.JPG

Day 3/13 (Satori/Bagseed). Drained a bit of the water out of two cups and the water was a bit warm. Lights are a tad higher today and I turned up the fan to medium. The bad three cups have been removed, so the 5 remain.

072210-pic1.JPG

072210-pic2.JPG

072210-pic3.JPG

072210-pic4.JPG

072210-pic5.JPG

072210-pic6.JPG

072210-pic7.JPG

Bagseeds are 2 weeks old and Satori are now 4 days old. It would appear that the roots have established themselves enough as growth has really taken off. Here we go!

BTW, I got my while balance issue worked out on my camera. The colors are now truer.

072310-pic3.JPG

Blueberry Wowie

072310-pic4.JPG

Master Kush

072310-pic5.JPG

Ogre

072310-pic6.JPG

Satori 3

072310-pic7.JPG

Satori 1

072310-pic8.JPG

Rapid growth is on the way!
Wait till you see the root ball when you transplant!

How big are you gonna let them grow before you repot?

I don't have a decision on that. Open for community input (plant size, plant age). What do you suggest, Doc?

Another decision needs to be made as well. Should I stick with the hempy buckets or switch up to using the ebb n grow system I recently picked up. The latter would allow me more time between visits to the garden but then I gotta figure out how to get all the water needed for that drum!

I don't have a decision on that. Open for community input (plant size, plant age). What do you suggest, Doc?

Another decision needs to be made as well. Should I stick with the hempy buckets or switch up to using the ebb n grow system I recently picked up. The latter would allow me more time between visits to the garden but then I gotta figure out how to get all the water needed for that drum!

You can grow them in those cups till they've got six or seven sets of leaves without being rootbound...no problem.

My vote is for hempy. It's just so easy, and your seedlings are already making roots that are optimized for perlite. Ebb n Grow is awesome, but more work, more waste, more nutes and the plants are already started in hempys.

But I know whatever you do, they'll come out really well.

You can grow them in those cups till they've got six or seven sets of leaves without being rootbound...no problem.

My vote is for hempy. It's just so easy, and your seedlings are already making roots that are optimized for perlite. Ebb n Grow is awesome, but more work, more waste, more nutes and the plants are already started in hempys.

But I know whatever you do, they'll come out really well.

I agree with you. Also, since I have several strains, I may need to customize nutrient loads. Satori is known to like their nutes in lower concentrations, so hempy it is. I have some buckets from Home Depot; they are white though. I have the proper black spray paint to light proof them. Is it worth it in your opinion to paint them?

You mentioned six to seven sets of leaves before transplant. Mine appear to be starting their third set but with no appreciable growth in height. Will they be getting a growth spurt soon? I'm figuring they are trying to collect enough sugars to build out the roots further that will then support a plant that rises.

I agree with you. Also, since I have several strains, I may need to customize nutrient loads. Satori is known to like their nutes in lower concentrations, so hempy it is. I have some buckets from Home Depot; they are white though. I have the proper black spray paint to light proof them. Is it worth it in your opinion to paint them?

I've heard two versions of the story....3 really:

1.)clear is bad....algae on roots, etc. This sounds right to me.
2.)White is bad.....same reason as above....
3.)White is good! The roots turn inward when they hit the light and the white pots are self pruning.

I used small white pots on my recent grow for the soil plants....no problem. They were not root bound, despite growing large plants with less than a gallon of soil.

Then again, my black hempys grew very well too. I use rose pots from the super market. They're free.

I say paint one or two and see if it matters.

Back
Top Bottom