Springtails

Springtails are a bug. There’s differing opinions on the interwebs so I thought I’d see if I could get this communities opinion.

Okay, so I bit...no pun intended. google: I see they are a small bug that inhabits damp areas in soils. I also read where they can damage plant roots and love over watered plants. I also see where they are beneficial in soil but coco is in no way close to soil. Maybe in a organic soil grow they would be good but I would not introduce them into coco. Sounds like they wouldn't stay anyway since there's no real organic decomposing stuff in there for them to eat. Thanks for the question. I learned something today.

I definitely didn’t introduce them. At least not on purpose. I believe they came with my canna coco. I noticed them on my last harvest and had no clue what they were. And really don’t think they harmed my plants. Not anything seriously noticeable anyways.
So just started a new round and there they were again. (I was looking for them this time). Took me a little while to figure out what they even were.
So I started using sns209 and letting my coco dry out about a bit between fertigations and I think they’re gone now.
I have to scratch up a couple inches of the coco to even spot them. So maybe they’re gone, maybe not.

Did they float to the surface when you watered? I read an account where a guy had that happening. I see that it is common in Coco and most say they are harmless. So there you have it...conflicting views in the growing world...imagine that...lol. I've only done a few Coco runs but that's been years ago. I remember fungus gnats. Pain in the ass and fast little bugs.

They didn’t float that I ever noticed. I saw that online also. But they sure do spring if you can get your finger on one. And they are fast

I still have these little bastards...and I’ve never dealt with a pest problem before...and I’m not even sure these can be considered pests. So I say, I’m teetering on the fence right now as if I should just live and let live.

I still have these little bastards...and I’ve never dealt with a pest problem before...and I’m not even sure these can be considered pests. So I say, I’m teetering on the fence right now as if I should just live and let live.
Well, if they are not harming the plants i wouldn't worry much. I'll trade your springtails for a few thrips...lol. Have you ever seen how much thrip shit balls pile up? I wonder how much thrip shit and dead thrips I've smoked over the years?...lol. I've never done the bud washing thing but I will try it on this yrs harvest.
What are you growing jolly? I see you've made a few posts but no journal yet. I'd like to see what your growing in the springtails medium.

Right now I’ve got a seedsman white widow in a 7 gallon fabric pot of coco. I’m attempting to fill a 4x4 scrog with 1 plant. I’m only 5.5 weeks in though so I’ve got a while to go.
trust me, I’d love to show her off, but I’m hesitant to put pictures online.

Right now I’ve got a seedsman white widow in a 7 gallon fabric pot of coco. I’m attempting to fill a 4x4 scrog with 1 plant. I’m only 5.5 weeks in though so I’ve got a while to go.
trust me, I’d love to show her off, but I’m hesitant to put pictures online.
I understand....

In my experience they definitely do more harm to young plants and clones trying to establish roots than adult plants. I have them in my bloom room and it's very unsettling seeing them come up out of the coco when i water! Been trying to hit them with diatomaceous earth but not sure if its working. Also due to the heat cant really dry the pots out completely because my plants need the moisture. Guess we're on this quest together!

I realized I had them last grow, but not until after harvest when I was tossing the root ball. I was like, what da heck are these!?
this current grow I had an eye out for them and there they were again. But neither then, nor now, have I noticed anything negative. This plant is growing like crazy. I just up potted from a 3 to a 7 gal and she hasn’t missed a beat.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Okay, so I bit...no pun intended. google: I see they are a small bug that inhabits damp areas in soils. I also read where they can damage plant roots and love over watered plants. I also see where they are beneficial in soil but coco is in no way close to soil. Maybe in a organic soil grow they would be good but I would not introduce them into coco. Sounds like they wouldn't stay anyway since there's no real organic decomposing stuff in there for them to eat. Thanks for the question. I learned something today.
Yes
If you reuse Coco you can throw it in the oven for a few hours to sterilize. Hell, after reading this I think I'd sterilize a new block before using. How many times can you recycle Coco?
Yes i had them a while back and really it did nothing to the plant! Now changed soil etc so very little now. But yeah they eat dead material and such. Didnt near the plant

If you reuse Coco you can throw it in the oven for a few hours to sterilize. Hell, after reading this I think I'd sterilize a new block before using. How many times can you recycle Coco?

Im on my 2nd coco grow ever and I didnt reuse the old stuff from the 1st grow. Not that I don’t think I could, I just didn’t see the need. I throw my old root ball in the compost bin, and get my reuse that way with the vegetable garden.
There’s a product I’ve read about that supposed to take care of dead root material, if you wanted to reuse, so really, I’d think you could reuse many times. I just can’t think what the stuff is called now.
apparently springtails eat the dead roots, so maybe that’s the “organic” answer :hmmmm:

I need help here. These critters are multiplying. From folks who have used neem oil. I’ve read in 1 place that neem oil will kill these little buggers. But now I’m in flower and I’m not sure if I can apply neem oil to my substrate (coco) or how to do so.

Back
Top Bottom