Sterilizing second hand equipment (tent/fans)

My tent advertised as machine washable. I've never done it but find out if your tent falls into the same boat. I generally just dust the outside. For the inside I wipe it down w a little dish soap and water then a final wipe down w plain water and dry towel. I've never cleaned my fan. I use it to pull air out...even if I didn't that's too much of a pain in the ass for me. Hope this helps.

I'd guess either isopropyl alcohol or bleach. Maybe put some bleach in water at high strength and soak it all down, then rinse it, then hit it again with the alcohol. That ought to kill anything in there.

I guess my concern was spores from mildew or something.

Mildew and mold spores are practically everywhere. Your body is covered with them, they're on your clothes, and they're in the air. A good sterilization will kill whatever is there but more will come. Cleanliness and a controlled environment helps prevent the spores from settling and spawning.

A good wipe down w/ any of the recommended concoctions on your thread will do well enough. I personally wouldn't soak the tent but don't let that stop you. Bleach, peroxide, soap, or alcohol mixed w water all work. It's all up to you how you want to go about it.

If your still uncomfortable w what to do go to the company website and contact them. I'm sure they would have some sort of guidelines for the care of their product.

I know this thread is old but after cleaning tents , if available seal it up and run an ozone generator inside for 24 hours on pretty high setting. I've been told a carbon filter can be reactivated to quite a high degree by blowing ozoned air into the filter using a pre filter inside just make it as air tight as possible to get best results. I've been spraying h2o2 and bleach solutions over the tent as I could se mould stains on parts of the inside. Next I'm blasting it with ozone. Neem oil sprayed over all equipment is another one but I don't know if it leaves a residue. ATB

Back
Top Bottom