Stewing time for flower in butter/oil?

Saxplayer

I’m wanting to really improve my knowledge around all things cannabis, but especially edibles, including tincture, butter and oils etc.

I know I’m pretty new to all of this, so if I ask a stupid question or two, please forgive me.

Okay, so first question I have, is why do you need to steep the de-carbed plant material for such a long time in the butter/oil etc?

I would have thought that the whole process should be quite quick. I mean, the trichomes are already de-carbed and they are on the surface (not inside the flower/bud itself), so why does it take so long for them to become detached and mixed with the oil? I have read anything between 3 and 8 hours recommended to “stew” the mix, but it doesn’t make sense to me?

Anyone here tried it for much shorter time?

Thank you
:cool: 🎷

Hey Sax, never done butter mostly tinctures & rso… but trichs are stuck like glue which typically requires either solvent, deep freeze, heat or heat & pressure to separate them properly. Also butter / oils are not a powerful stripping agent so more cook time buys more trichs being stripped and dissolved. Could defs be wrong here but I think magic butter machines take 8 hours to process a batch

Hey Sax, never done butter mostly tinctures & rso… but trichs are stuck like glue which typically requires either solvent, deep freeze, heat or heat & pressure to separate them properly. Also butter / oils are not a powerful stripping agent so more cook time buys more trichs being stripped and dissolved. Could defs be wrong here but I think magic butter machines take 8 hours to process a batch
Thanks for that 013.

Hey sax player :ciao:

For canna butter I found it best to de-carb the herb in the oven @250°f for 30 minutes before adding the herb to the butter. Doing it this way you only have to brew the herb/butter/water mixture for about 1.5-2 hours which should keep the risk of over heating and damaging the THC content to a minimum......8 hours + sounds nuts 😂.

Here's the recipe I use:

1 oz nugs or 3 oz trim (both dried)
1 lb of butter (4 sticks)
Cheese cloth (sifts and screens work well to but you may end up with lite amount of plant matter)
Pot (or crockpot works great to )
And water ...varies on pot size

* The THC bonds to the fats not the water so no worries on how much water you use or have to add during the brew process*

Add butter to water in pot, heat til it's steaming not boiling. Let it continue for 1.5-2 hours and then strain through cheese cloth and cool.

Super easy great on toast 🤤 👍

Hey sax player :ciao:

For canna butter I found it best to de-carb the herb in the oven @250°f for 30 minutes before adding the herb to the butter. Doing it this way you only have to brew the herb/butter/water mixture for about 1.5-2 hours which should keep the risk of over heating and damaging the THC content to a minimum......8 hours + sounds nuts 😂.

Here's the recipe I use:

1 oz nugs or 3 oz trim (both dried)
1 lb of butter (4 sticks)
Cheese cloth (sifts and screens work well to but you may end up with lite amount of plant matter)
Pot (or crockpot works great to )
And water ...varies on pot size

* The THC bonds to the fats not the water so no worries on how much water you use or have to add during the brew process*

Add butter to water in pot, heat til it's steaming not boiling. Let it continue for 1.5-2 hours and then strain through cheese cloth and cool.

Super easy great on toast 🤤 👍
Yep, Im de-carbing, also Im only brewing for about 2 hrs. I made an error last brew, as I forgot the water and the clarified butter heated up well past 100c. I think maybe I damaged the THC because the strength of my cookies I made from this batch is hardly noticeable.
Yeah, the budder, I use it for cooking, also on a cracker, on toast, and a small teaspoon whipped into a full milk mug of hot chocolate when I go to bed is just dream time! 😁

I usually strain out the liquid through a fine mesh bag (a beer brew bag), then squeeze it out by hand.
After I have squeezed the mesh bag out as much as I can, I normally like to soak the bag (with the dregs in) by pouring some hot water in, then squeeze it out again, and repeat. I get all of the butter out this way. Its surprising how much more you can get, instead of just putting the pulp in the bin!

I usually strain out the liquid through a fine mesh bag (a beer brew bag), then squeeze it out by hand.
After I have squeezed the mesh bag out as much as I can, I normally like to soak the bag (with the dregs in) by pouring some hot water in, then squeeze it out again, and repeat. I get all of the butter out this way. Its surprising how much more you can get, instead of just putting the pulp in the bin!
... then let it settle and put in fridge. The fat infused budder just solidifies on top (as you know).

Back
Top Bottom