Stinkyfish97's First Grow Journal

dc534

Thank you to all who visit. This journal is a log of my progress as I learn to grow. My hopes are that I can use this log to go back to when I have future questions or am exploring for future knowledge.

About Myself:

I use for the therapeutic effects that I gain from smoking cannabis. I mainly want to grow because it is something I have considered my whole life. I love gardening and feel this would be an excellent hobby that kills two birds with one stone, gardening and the therapeutic effects I just mentioned.

Goals:

My goals are really just to see this through to the end. I want to be able to have something I can go back and draw knowledge from when I have questions in the future. I want to give back to a community that has helped me with my questions when I asked for help.

Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor

Strain being grown: Northern Lights bought from High Grade Seeds

Setup:

One chamber grow pod setup, deemed "high pod" design by others, ideal for growing 1 plant to a height of 2-2.5ft inside of a garbage bin. I will update this post with pictures of my setup in a later post

Lighting:

I have (9) 24 Watt 24" T5 HO 6500k 1600 Lumen and 2700k replacement bulbs for the fixtures. I also have 2 2700k 23 Watt 1600 Lumen and 2 6500k 23 Watt 1600 Lumen Cfl bulbs with 2 Reflectors as a supplemental light source. This will give me around 260 usable wattage throughout the entire process

Grow Medium:

40/40/20 Coco, Perlite, worm castings mix (worm casting are 1-0-0)
Dixie Cup transfer to a 2 gallon pot

Number of Plants:

Stage of Growth:

Germination
Seed/Seedling as of 12/14/2014

Water:

Generally City Tap water that has been left out for 24-48hrs. Water was not PH'd.

Fertilizers:

No Fertilizers have been used yet

Worm Castings ( 1-0-0 )
Jobes Universal Organic plant food (5-0-3)
Shultz Cactus food (2-7-7)

None so far.

12/14/2014

What I Did Today?
Today I have begun by germinating the 1 NL seed in the germination chamber. The seed was placed between 3 wet paper towels and placed inside a tupperware container and left in the dark.

Observations:

Nothing has changed, no taproot yet. Elapsed time 22 hrs since placed inside tupperware.

Goals:

Wait for taproot to form. Prepare seed for transfer to Dixie cup grow container inside of grow pod. Work on DIY carbon scrubber.

12/15-12/16

What I Did Today?
Today was an exciting day. Today I moved the germinating seed to the dixie cup container and put it into the grow chamber. I also worked a little on getting the rest of the materials for the DIY carbon scrubber I am building. Hopefully in a few more days the seedling will sprout.

Observations?

Success, taproot took 72 hours to finally show but it finally did on the first bean, was starting to give up hope that this bean was a good one. Temperature in the grow room with the lights on hovers around 86 with RH around 45. Soil is wet to touch.

Goals:

Long list of goals:

Continue work on the DIY carbon scrubber/air circulator. Find a less expensive means to test the PH of the water, currently using test strips from walmart but they are like $2 for 5 strips (perhaps I may have to order a tester online). Finally I need a means to cool down my grow area, I have a small electric fan but was not planning on using it for cooling down the chamber it was meant to circulate air and strengthen the stem once it forms but 86 is to hot for a seedling so I am either going to have to reduce number of lights until plant is a little bigger or I am going to have to get better circulation. I think once I get the scrubber/circulator made and put in place it should help lower temperatures back down. I am not overly concerned but this is the first week so I would like to fix problems before they become problems.

***Sorry for no pictures guys I am still working on getting finding my camera will post when I find my camera***

Questions I have:

I do have a couple of questions pertaining to watering. How much should I water the seedling before it has sprouted up? I know you can let the first couple of inches dry out a little before watering again on a plant that has some root structure. My question is: how much or how often should I water the seedling? The roots do not go more than a few inches so letting the soil get dry does not seem like a good idea, but I do not want it to wet because the roots need oxygen to breath. So how much should I be watering a seedling that has not yet sprouted from the soil? How wet should the soil feel once it has sprouted? Should I maintain a certain level of wetness to the soil? Should I let it dry out a little and let the roots develop by searching for the water?

Subscribed. Is your seedling in a Dixie Cup or in the 2 gallon size pot? The medium you place the germinated seed into should be moist. Place your finger 1"-2" into the medium and feel how moist it is. A seedling requires a moist medium to grow. Roots seek water and do not grow where there is no moisture.

Here is everything you should need to know to post full size photographs

Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom