Two Plant CFL/LED Combo SCROG

Su3lime

Hello. I've lurked this site for years researching growing technique and just wanted to say I am proud to finally be a contributing member. The knowledge of growing this plant species on this site amazes me.

So here it is: The Run Down

Strains:

Female Seeds Bubblegummer (Feminized)
Female Seeds Iced Grapefruit (Feminized)

Grow Set Up:

2ft x 2ft x 5ft space
352 Total Watts
22,220 lumens (all 2700k)
4 x 42 watt CFLs with reflectors (168w)
10 x 12 watt LEDs with reflectors (120w)

Medium:

2 x 10inch 3 Gallon Pots
Sphagnum base with worm castings (.5-0-0)
Perlite
Vermiculite

Nutrients:

General Hydroponics Three Part Flora Series
Following the 'Useless' Formula

Timeline:

Planted 10-25-13
Bubblegummer sprouted 10-29-13
Iced Grapefruit sprouted 10-30-13

First Feeding 11-8-13 (9days old)
2500ml water
2.5ml Grow
1.25ml Micro
1.25ml Bloom
Dose for each plant: 600PPM

Plan is next Feeding tomorrow 11-16-13 (18days old)

Pictures to follow...

Female Seeds Bubblegummer and Iced Grapefruit (Feminized) Packs from Herbie's...quick shipping from across the pond, great price, and even got some Freebies!
image5419.jpg

The freebies: TH Seeds Akorn aka Snowbud (Feminized) and Skunk1xWhite Widow (regular)
image5418.jpg

Iced Grapefruit on Left Bubblegummer on right.
Temps 75-78F RH 35-45% 17days old
image5420.jpg

Iced grapefruit is a day younger but taller, although not as bushy. I believe this hybrid is leaning toward sativa phenotype and definitely earns it's name. Rub a leaf or stem and the room smells exactly like grapefruit!
A few fan leaf tips are clawing, one is bent at like a 90deg angle. Any thoughts?
image5421.jpg
image5422.jpg

Bubblegummer is EXTREMELY bushy and short. Definitely indica, although the candy bubblegum smell isn't there yet, just strong skunk aroma. Headed to Home Depot tomorrow to get parts for my carbon scrubber because of this one! I FIMed and supercropped this one early to try and give the lower nodes a chance. This one's internodal length is like 1/4 inch tops! Two lower fan leaves have a few yellow/brown spots and those leafs feel kinda brittle. Any ideas? Otherwise it's growing like a....umm... a weed.
image5423.jpg
image5417.jpg

Like I said before, carbon scrubber going in tomorrow as well as Week 2 feeding according to Useless. Have a bottle of CaliMagic, Florablend organic tea, super thrive, and seaweed extract on the way to supplement veg waterings between feedings. Well more to come! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Edit...the four CFLs are 55w a piece at 3800 lumens
So 220w CFL and 120w LED for a total of 340 watts at almost 23,000 lumens. Hope it's enough. Next grow will be under 600w MH/HPS cool tube but this should be sufficient enough for a decent first grow.

Only two days after the week two feeding, already seeing accelerated growth. Really bushing out, and after fimming/topping both plants, tops have quadrupled and are flourishing. I've got one question though? Is it common for new growth at fim sites to be slightly deformed? The new leaves look extremely healthy but are shaped kind of funny...anyways after doing some research on the rust spots, it looks like a calcium deficiency. Should have a bottle of CaliMagic in my hands on Thursday. It doesn't look to have spread, so hopefully they can make it until Thursday. New pics tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great weekend, Hawks won and the plants are doin good! Happy camper here!

Good morning ladies! (Three weeks old)

image5555.jpg

Bubblegummer on left, Iced Grapefruit on right
Both about 10 inches tall, 'monster cropped' to almost 20 inches across! Give em two full months of vegative growth, and I'm sure that SCROG screen is gonna fill up nicely!

image5556.jpg

Bubblegummer is getting fat, counted 16 tops and still bushing out! Still no bubblegum scent, but I've heard it is displayed more in late flower and curing. We shall see. Noticed some holes in a few leafs, mainly interveinial. No signs of catapillers, spider mites, or any other critters. Thinking its damage from the cal deficiency that has 'grown' out. What do you think? Amyways Very lush and green and already reeks of skunk. Carbon scrubber for my inline is going in this weekend, just need the time to build the damn thing.

image5557.jpg

Bubblegummer's 9 blade fan leaf lookin to eat up some light! Beautiful.

image5558.jpg

Iced Grapefruit is blowing my mind. What started out as a tiny runt of a seedling is doin some serious work! Monster cropped as well and has over 20 tops! The best part about this plant is the smell! Fresh cut grapefruit! I can only hope the bud smells and smokes just like this! Also very green, but with some red stems. Part of the calcium deficiency? Or just genes? Man I hope my cal mag supplement gets here tomorrow. Overall a very nice plant and really loves to drink!

image5559.jpg

The I.G's got a 9 blader too! Also beautiful.

image5560.jpg

Well if anyone's actually reading this, hope you enjoyed the pics. Week 3 nutrients on Saturday. I'll keep ya posted!

Not sure if anyone is even reading this thread, the lack of responses kind of lead me to not really care about updating as often as I planned, but what the hell, might as well check back in to let ya'll know what I've been doing.

image6139.jpg

Bubblegummer on the left, Iced Grapefruit on the right. 6 weeks through veg, just dropped the Scrog screen on em today.
Two more weeks till the flip, for a full 2 months of veg gettin ready for 9-10 weeks of flower.

image6135.jpg

Screen is 20" by 30" with 2" grid squares. I plan to use the next 2 weeks of veg, plus the initial stretch of flower to completely fill out that scrog.

image6138.jpg

Underskirt shot...did some minor defoliation/lollipopping, plus removed the ties I used lst the primary branches. Also added drain tubes to bottles from the catch trays so runoff can easily be collected and ppm measured.

image6132.jpg

So, I moved away from the Useless formula and decided to do this on my own terms. In conjunction with the General Hydroponic Three Part Flora Series, I'm running a handful of other additives:
Feedings consist of:
1 gal RO water per plant
250ppm GH CaliMagic
400ppm GH Flora Series in equal concentrations
Superthrive at 1 drop a gal

Waterings consist of:
1 gal RO water per plant
250ppm GH CaliMagic
GH Florablend at 5ml/gal
Native Nutrients Kelp Help at 5ml/gal
Botanicare Silica Blast at 1ml/gal
Superthrive at 1 drop a gal

I rotate feeding and watering every three days. I plan to run this same rotatation through the first two weeks of flower, then replacing Florablend and Kelp Help with Floralicious and Floranectar. At week 4 of flowering, liquid Koolbloom will take the silicablast's spot, then run a two week pure RO water flush before harvest.

So if this sparks any interest, I'll keep this updated a little more often. If not, then I guess I'll see ya'll at harvest time. Hope things are good with everyone and wish all a happy holidays. Let me know what you think, I'd love some input!

Thanks SST. My LED's are of the screw in bulb variety, but like fluoros, they run very cool and when you get enough of them together you can actually achieve pretty decent results. I'm in week 7 of flowering at the moment and am pleasantly surprised. Hoping to pull a couple ounces per plant then run my current veg plants (northern lights and Maui Waui) in DWC under my new 600 watt HPS. I'll upload some pics in the morning when my lights come on. Thanks for the message...happy to see somebody is actually seeing this.

Pics as promised. Week 7 of 10.

image7491.jpg

Here's Iced Grapefruit. The smell is AMAZING! That grapefruit citrus smell that leaves your mouth drooling and your clothes stinking all day. The plant is probably going to yield 30-40% more than her sister. No complaints with this plant at all. Very easy to grow!
image7493.jpg
image7492.jpg

And here's her sister the Bubblegummer. Although it does not have that bubblegum smell yet, nor the sheer weight of the other plant, this one is absolutely covered in trichs! Was a little testy with the nutrients at the beginning, but she has done well and really surprised me in the resin category. My iPhone camera sucks but you can still see the leaves even standing with trichs.
image7494.jpg
image7495.jpg

So like I said, about 3 weeks till the chop. Can't wait to start these little ladies in DWC under my new 600.
First is Northern Lights
image7496.jpg

And second is the Maui
image7497.jpg

Surprisingly these clones made it through. Looked pretty pathetic when I got the, but with a little TLC, they finally started to take off. That NL cut is from an old friends favorite stash and I'm really looking forward to the challenge of taming that Maui sativa under the scrog. Thinking the cuts wouldn't make it through the relocation, I popped two feminised seeds for backup..
Snowbud
image7499.jpg

And another Bubblegummer. Really looking for that hubbabubba pheno.
image7498.jpg

Anyways hope ya'll enjoyed and see you at harvest time!

Hey the plants look great! I'm new here and just looking at grows with cfl and led combined. I'm growing some mystery plants in a 2x3 closet with a 140 w super ufo and about 6 6500k cfl's. Grow blue's site says their led is good for veg and flower. We'll see if it is. I'm going to combine it with some 2700k cfl's when I flip in about a week or 2. I'm starting week 6 of veg now. I don't know what strain I have so it's hard for me to say if they are growing at a normal rate or not. They are indica dominant and I topped them last week. They seem short but, bushy. Post your harvest if you have it. I'm interested in seeing how they turned out. I would like to try the iced grapefruit.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom