Floridasunset's - CFL - Soil - Bubblegummer Grow Journal - 2015

08.15.15 Weekly Update:

Have renamed the girls from Plant #1 & #2 to Mary Ann & Ginger. Plant #1 & #2 just seemed so impersonal... :)

08.15.15 is Day #30 of the Grow and is Day #1 of Week #5. Plant #1 (Mary Ann) is approx. 6" tall while Ginger, being a little leggier is approx. 7 1/2".

Still concerned about the seemingly slow growth, but perhaps this is normal for this strain. Overall they both appear to be generally in good health so maybe I'm just suffering from Newbie jitters?

Temps have stabilized at an avg of 78F during lights on and 74F during lights off. Will be changing over from the CFLs to my MarsHydro LED as soon as I can get a suitable hanger system worked out since the hanger provided by MarsHydro has too much 'slack' in it and allows the light to hang much lower than necessary and with my low ceiling I need all the headroom I can get for the girls.

Am expecting (or at least am hoping) the temps won't be effected all that much by the change from CFL to LED. Will just have to wait and see...

Mary Ann
DSCN12996.JPG

Ginger
DSCN13008.JPG

What light did you end up buying?

I have 3 Marshydro units. The one I plan on using is the one I had planned on using when I first planned this grow as a hydroponic one. It's a Marshydro MZ-100x3. It's one of their old style full-spectrum lights. When I first set the grow up I could not get the temp under control so I changed it over to a. Soil/CCFL instead.

I plan to use the two other Marshydro units (I can't remember which model units they are right now) in another, slightly larger, tent I have once I can make room for it somewhere. It's, if I remember correctly, 2x4x5 and the 2 other units should do the job of lighting it fairly well.

I hope at some point to use the smaller tent for Veg and the larger one to flower. Of course I have to get thru this first grow first. :thumb:

hey man, definitely starting to look better. as guam said, 6.5 for soil, and you might consider a cal/mag if the issue persists. id say wait it, she's looking good man!

Appreciate that! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sure and certain! A

Grow Update Week #6

08.28.15 - watered each 32oz.

Girls have hit a growth spurt this past several days. Mary Ann (Plant #1) is now 12" and Ginger (Plant #2) is now 12 1/2". Both seem to be doing well except for a little leaf burn on the tips and edges of some of the lower leaves. This is not readily apparent in the current pic because I've switched over the the MarsHydro LED and haven't got the gray-card or software to correct for the color.

Going to keep on doing what I'm doing and see how this goes. Seems to be going fairly well despite every effort I make to screw things up... :)

DSCN130113.JPG

Still have a problem with 'burning' on the tips tips of the leaves on the girls. Any one with any idea of what is happening? As you can see I've switched to the LED and have it about 9" from the plants. Problem was also in evidence with the CFLs also though.

It's your soil. With all the time release nutrients in them you will get some burn for the first few weeks or months. Next time rinse your soil for a few days about every couple hours(with HOT water) and it should wash most of those nutrients out. About 2x water for ammount of soil each time you rinse. Don't worry too much about the burn unless it's affecting more than a half inch of leaf. If it gets to that point, I'd suggest to try and get a buddy to buy some soil for you that has no nutrients in it... I do think I went over this before, but I'm too lazy to go back and look:thumb:

Oh yeah.. ph your water to 6.5-6.8 and that should help also

It's your soil. With all the time release nutrients in them you will get some burn for the first few weeks or months. Next time rinse your soil for a few days about every couple hours(with HOT water) and it should wash most of those nutrients out. About 2x water for ammount of soil each time you rinse. Don't worry too much about the burn unless it's affecting more than a half inch of leaf. If it gets to that point, I'd suggest to try and get a buddy to buy some soil for you that has no nutrients in it... I do think I went over this before, but I'm too lazy to go back and look:thumb:

Oh yeah.. ph your water to 6.5-6.8 and that should help also

I guess I forgot you going over that (part of the disability - members loss). Will have to try to remember to reread things before I post I questions I have already asked and had answered. Thanks for taking the time to go over it again
forme.

And I did get some Fox Farm soil off EBay for the next grow. Hope that works out better.

I don't mind repeating myself... I have young children so I'm used to it. Hope you didn't take it that way. Hard to convey emotions over a forum.

No problem! I'm used to being told I've already asked something, and been answered, a half dozen times by my wife on a daily basis... :)

Am looking forward to the next grow already. Got to give these girls a fair chance first though. Have already learned a few things that should make the next one go a little easier.

Thanks again for all your help.

Interim Update: 09.09.15 (Veg Day #55) Week #8 - Day #5

Watered the Girls on the 4th and the 7th (36 & 32 oz respectively). Both are growing well and, aside from the browning issue on some of the fan leaves, looking great!

In an attempt to reclaim some of the headspace in the tent I did a little creative tying-down even though I'm sure it was a little late in the grow to do it. Didn't really have much of a choice though because I've only got about 3' of headspace from the top of the poly-pots and the girls were stretching so much so quickly that was rapidly disappearing.

No photos this week. Just haven't had time to get any taken. Have obtained a grey card that should allow me to correct the LED photos and will be getting some posted soon though.

Appreciate all the help folks have given me so far and am looking forward to a successful conclusion to the Grow.

Interim update: Photo (color correction - kinda) of the Girls...

My pitiful attempt at color correcting the LED tone of the photo. Used 'white card' option in the software I have and this is what I ended up with. Have a copy of "Lightroom" coming and, hopefully, that will solve the problem...

This also shows my attempt at 'training' them to obtain a little headroom. Perhaps a little late in the grow, but...

2015-09-12-16-08-20.jpg

09.20.15 Interim Update: Watered both 32oz 6.5ph with 2ml @ liter of Cal-mag. Tied main stem down a little more to try to gain headroom. 9

10.17.15 Interim Update: Took the plunge and changed the girls over to Hempy Pots to see if I can't salvage something out of this fiasco... No photos yet, but will update when I have a chance...

Well, things went South in a big way. After all the problems with the LEDs burning the Girls it seems I managed to over water in a big way and didn't, with the effects of the leaf burn, the problem until I decided to do a little housekeeping and noticed a strong septic odor coming from the pots. So I trimmed off all the dead and dying leaves and flushed the pots with a couple gallons of RO water after adding some additional drainage holes. Girls didn't snap back so I assumed the soil was probably still sour so... I decided to scrap the setup and switch them to Hempy pots...

Did you transplant them? What color were the roots? Coco or perlite hempy?

Yes, transplanted them both. Roots were both white and brown - mostly brown, but there was no sour smell. Perlite hempy - didn't have any vermiculite at the time. Do have some now and will be doing a 3 to 1 mix on the next go 'round.

Yes, transplanted them both. Roots were both white and brown - mostly brown, but there was no sour smell. Perlite hempy - didn't have any vermiculite at the time. Do have some now and will be doing a 3 to 1 mix on the next go 'round.

Pure perlite will do fine. Vermiculite actually throws a wrench in the gears for me and makes for a messy grow. Per light retains enough moisture on its own id say but that's just me. I've seen some people use it with great results. Perlite and coco... Now that's what you want. Tons breathing room and moisture control.

But if you transplant again, it might benefit you to trim the brown roots off or at least peel off the sleeve because under the rotted root, is a clean one. I think with a perlite hempy, it will dry out fast enough so the roots get a chance to dry out a bit. I love hempys. So forgiving

Back
Top Bottom