Frostbourne's - Perpetual - DWC - LED/CFL

Frostbourne

Hey guys, since my first trial grow is going well, and ive gotten all my setup together, i have started up on my full perpetual grow setup, and i hope to be able to share my experiences with some people, ask for help when i have an issue of just plain don't know what the **** I'm doing.

Always love advice and tips from experienced growers, or anyone who has something to contribute!

Strain: Unknown, but package said "feminized" and "medical" so how bad can it be?
I actually, know someone who has already grown one of these seeds, is almost ready to harvest, but is growing vigorously, seemingly sativa-dominant.

Lights: 20 x 5 watt LED strips and 2 x 250 watt CFLs
DSCF004011.JPG

Setup: 4 x 5 gallon Deep Water Culture (starting with one, for the mother, then using all when have clones)
DSCF00688.JPG

tucked underneath my suspended current grow, still getting light, but not too intense. will adjust as needed.
DSCF00696.JPG

Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients (three in middle)
DSCF00596.JPG

For now, germinating the seed in a small tray of water
DSCF003417.JPG

stay tuned for the birth of the mother, and feel free to ask me anything, or leave any advice you have! :welcome:

hello wonderful peoples of the internet, wanted to give an update with all progress so far, as Sindra is now a week old. She will be used as a mother plant for my perpetual grow, and i will be using several training techniques.

DSCF005513.JPG

DSCF00722.JPG

now that the roots are coming through the bottom and she is showing her first set of leaves, i put her into the DWC system with plain ph'd water. the green wire are anchors for training
DSCF00875.JPG

Week 2

refreshed her water today, still at 1/4 strength nutrients, and added more clay pebbles to bury her stem more, since she was so far out of the rooter like that. refreshed because she was showing signs of yellowing, and my last grow did have issues with calcium deficiencies (must be the water), so i also added a little extra of the floramicro to be sure. ph still at 6.0 even.
DSCF01269.JPG

i also took a clone off one of the branches of my last LST grow (check it out below if you haven't already!), and put it in a ghetto humidity dome. hopefully she will take root, and i can have an (mostly) indica growing along with this mainly-sativa mother
DSCF01278.JPG

DSCF01286.JPG

Week 2 cont'd

Hey folks, just got my new veg closet set up and wanted to show how things were going. I have a few clones going from my first grow, which is a cross between super skunk x great white shark x south indian indica. these clones weren't actually taken with the intention of cloning but of topping, so they are fairly small, and may not take root, but who knows. so far it has been a hardy strain.

New veg closet; using 1 x 250 watt 6400k CFL. has enough room for a second DWC when i want to squeeze it in. three ghetto humidity domes for my clones, and on the floor are my juniper and holly bonsai trees im starting.
DSCF01327.JPG

Here are all the girls together with domes off
DSCF01336.JPG

First clone taken a few days ago; still not dead so i guess so far so good?
DSCF01347.JPG

Second and Third taken last night; again, was just topping, and wanted to see if they'd take
DSCF01355.JPG

DSCF01364.JPG

And Sindragosa in all her glory; got an accurate pH meter and fixed a minor issue (was 7.2, brought down to 6.2) and she is now turning a dark healthy green
DSCF01376.JPG

so having spent the last few days contemplating ordering seeds (thanks guam, i blame you :p), i finally gave in and placed an order for S.A.G.E., a strain ive wanted to try for a while. quite a long flowering time, so when i start growing her she will require patience, but big buds as a reward and a unique sandalwood aroma.

anyone grown S.A.G.E. before?

Week 3

Changed the reservoir today, and the pH had risen back to about 7.3, so what that means is the pH is going up as she is taking nutes out of the water. so to compensate for this i am going to set every reservoir change at 5.5, so over the 3-4 days in between it will slowly rise through the range, in theory. up to 1/2 strength nutes now and she is still pretty healthy looking, so im not gonna try and overdo it.
DSCF01426.JPG

As you can also see the clones are still alive, and even seem like they are picking their branches up a little bit so hopefully that means they are starting to root. i will say i was pretty liberal with the use of the clonex... i didnt just dip the tips, i also used a pipette to get some down into the rapid rooter. no idea if i should have, but i did lol. hopefully its doing its job!

Week 4

Hey guys, so a lot of changes this week. got the clones into a DWC with very light nutes and some rooting formula, which will, for all intents and purposes, be my new cloner. The first three clones are doing alright; i have been keeping them covered and they have certainly shown growth, though roots are only just now starting to poke out of the bases. additionally, they have started yellowing, which prompted me to add the nutes to the regular pH'd water. Sindra is doing marvelously, and i topped her for the first time (i am going for a kind of manifold plan, but with double the nodes), putting the top into the cloner with the others. check it out!

The clones
DSCF01474.JPG

The first clone (day 12)
DSCF01518.JPG

Second and Third (day 10)
DSCF01505.JPG

DSCF01498.JPG

Sindragosa
DSCF01486.JPG

Topping site
DSCF01527.JPG

and after!
DSCF01536.JPG

dip in rooting gel and trimming
DSCF01547.JPG

into the cloner
DSCF01555.JPG

Week 4 Cont.

So while Sindra is doing well, the clones are really hurting at this point. almost completely yellowed, i would have given up but for the fact that moving a few pebbles aside shows the roots still continuing to develop... so idk. i really don't know what i should do, or if i am still doing something wrong at this point. please halp!

Sindra, recovering well from topping
DSCF01677.JPG

the clones; 1 15 day, 2 13 day, 1 3 day
DSCF01687.JPG

day 15
DSCF01716.JPG

can indeed see roots developing. should i stay hopeful?
DSCF01707.JPG

yellowing and dead tips on this one, but roots as well :/
DSCF01727.JPG

3 day old is still doing well. did not start this one in a rapid rooter, im wondering if this was the better option
DSCF01736.JPG

really dont know much about cloning so dont be shy people please i welcome any and all advice :Namaste:

Week 5

hey guys, do sindra is doing AWESOME and i have started subjecting her to some mild BDSM.

The clones are FINALLY showing some growth in their tips for real, and all of them have well-established roots now. to help them out, i trimmed off anything that was legitimately dead (not just yellowing), so that rot doesnt set in :party:

In light of this, i have made some changes to my plans: i threw out the first clone i had taken from Sindra, because frankly i wasnt going to have a place for her. no more room in that space for another bucket, and the three clones are about to take up that whole one between the three of them (yes i am keeping them all together). So i am going to hold off on additional plants until i can get my 2x2 veg tent in, and into my grow room, so i can keep them all hooked up to the air pump and keep flower and veg seperate. when i do get it in, i will start growing the S.A.G.E seeds i got in, instead of this no-name medical (not that i think itll be bad, but i want the sage).

so here are some pics in the meantime

DSCF01837.JPG

The Clones:
#1 (day 19) this, and #2 are both showing some very healthy green at their tips, and are most certainly established at this point
DSCF01844.JPG

#2 (day 17)
DSCF01856.JPG

#3 (day 17) This is isnt as healthy as the other two; smaller roots, and not as much growth, but still alive, and growing roots still. can even see some roots poking through the pebbles, so she is definitely working hard at it
DSCF01877.JPG

DSCF01987.JPG

Sindra starting out her LST
DSCF01886.JPG

Site of topping, and the four main branches tied down
DSCF01928.JPG

anchorings
DSCF01937.JPG

DSCF01943.JPG

In addition to starting LST, i also topped her four tops, so she should be a real bush here in a week or two (and switching to flower as soon as this tent comes in, which should be soon)
DSCF01967.JPG

DSCF01977.JPG

stay tuned for more folks!

Week 5 cont'd

Well two of the clones are doing marvelously. the third is struggling, but still alive and still growing, so not giving in hope. Sindra is doing awesome, and is really satisfying my desire for symmetry heh

Here are the first two, and then the third
DSCF02215.JPG

DSCF02224.JPG

DSCF02236.JPG

Sindra in all of her symmetrical goodness. she has exactly 20 growth tips going right now :)
DSCF02247.JPG

DSCF02258.JPG

DSCF02267.JPG

boy im having a rough week

sindra has root rot :/ planning on picking up some hydrogaurd, which is what has been recommended to me, unless any of yall have suggestions? i have heard that H2O2 doesnt really work, and is more of a band aid fix, needing to be added daily

Week 7

Hey guys. After Sindra got root rot going into week 6, i added hydroguard and started changing the reservoir every two days, and while she is still stressed, it seems to have stopped her from dying; today i even saw some new roots appearing, so i think she will make it. just gonna use low doses of hydroguard every res change from now on as a preventative measure.

I had hoped to switch her to flowering around now, but i think i am going to give her one more week to recover, poor girl.

That being said, the two clones are still doing great. the third, while i am confident it would have made it eventually, i decided to pull just because it was so far behind the other two. so now they are twins, and i am going to let them grow together.

The veg room
DSCF024110.JPG

sindra, poor girl
DSCF02439.JPG

the various deficiencies showing as a result of the root rot (i dont have enough hands to photo the roots)
DSCF02446.JPG

DSCF02456.JPG

DSCF02466.JPG

the clone twins
DSCF02486.JPG

I'm sure you'll get dialed in soon! The problems you have come across - is exactly why I grow in soil.

You are learning fast and have done well considering the poor show of help on offer! Good luck with the rest of the grow. I will watch the journal, but can't help with hydro questions.

:jawdropper: OMG SOMEONE ACTUALLY REPLIED TO THIS JOURNAL

haha thanks fevs, welcome! i also have a soil grow that i am about to harvest if you want to check it out. do you have any journals up currently?

ill update again today, sindra has recovered very well from the root rot, and has almost doubled in size since the last pic! :volcano-smiley:

Week 7 cont'd

Sindra is very well recovered from the root issues, still giving small amount of hydroguard with each res change to make sure it doesnt start again, but she is now exploding with growth. I plan to switch her to the flowering room tomorrow. :) The clones are also really taking off.

in celebration of someone finally replying, here are some pics!
DSCF02616.JPG

DSCF02645.JPG

DSCF02656.JPG

DSCF02626.JPG

That bigger plant has come a long way! Looking good, really nice fresh green on the new growth. Yeah, I have 2 journals going here too!

Bad luck with the root rot, however you have learnt to fix it. Were the roots at the wrong temperature of something?

Back
Top Bottom