TeachMe2Fish's First Grow - 4'x4' Grow Tent - 600W HID - BagSeed

teachme2fish

This is not only my first grow, but this is also the first time I have ever joined/actively participated in a forum. I know I'm going to make a ton of mistakes and I greatly appreciate any feedback/criticism offered. As my profile name suggests...teach me to fish(grow) and you will feed me for a lifetime.
I have been a toker for a good bit, but never attempted to grow because the wife didn't approve. Recently she has had a change in attitude since she has replaced her anti-anxiety medication by using marijuana.
So I FINALLY have the green light to grow, something I've wanted to do for a LONG time, so I am super excited about my new hobby! I actually looked around at a few different forums before joining and the reason I chose this one was because the members seemed extremely helpful , even to noobs like myself.

So the setup...

I have a 48"x48"x72" grow tent by Earth Worth.
Lighting: I am using a 600wHID, along with a blue 20wCFL.
I'm using bag seeds from a couple different sources.
Growing in soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
My temperature is 78-81, humidity 50-55% with the tent partially open using a fan. I know eventually I will need to add more fans/ventilation, but for funds sake I will wait till the plants are a bit larger.
I'm not sure what my pH is at the moment. I'm getting a meter soon though.

The grow tent is in my basement and so far I have not seen any pests in the pots I have the marijuana plants in. The wife has some spinach and lettuce in there though and I found a roly poly/pill bug and a cave cricket in there. I don't think it will be a problem, but you guys know better than I.
Watering: I try to feel the weight of the pots and only water when they need it. I may have let them get a bit too dry (trying not to over water them) since I found a root growing out of the bottom of a hole in the pot. I was mainly spraying the plants to water them (mistake). And now I actually water them until water comes out of the drain holes.
Ferts: Fox farm trio Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom
Bucket size-right now 5 plants are in 6" pots, and 7 plants are in smaller 1.71pt cups. Eventually I will transfer them to 5 gal buckets. My goal is to have 4-6 females.

I have labeled the older 5 plants Alpha A, B, C, D, E I planted these 4 weeks earlier than the numerical ones, but I planted them in soil that had some fertilizer in it, as well as was not draining well. The leaves were starting to get yellow so I took a chance and removed most of the soil and replaced it with the FF Blend. They didn't have much shock, but after I transferred them they really have been growing fast! I will post the pictures, I hope they aren't too confusing.

23166.JPG

0011548.JPG
0041391.JPG
0031477.JPG
0051322.JPG

The next pictures are right after I changed the soil to the FF Ocean Forest
008993.JPG
009891.JPG
010828.JPG
012636.JPG
014545.JPG
019321.JPG

10/31
05848.JPG
05940.JPG
05748.JPG
05647.JPG
05546.JPG
05455.JPG
05359.JPG

11/1
05269.JPG
05359.JPG
05848.JPG

05940.JPG
05647.JPG
05546.JPG
05455.JPG
05748.JPG

11/4
06630.JPG
06335.JPG

11/6
06630.JPG

11/8
07022.JPG
07132.JPG
07218.JPG
07523.JPG
07421.JPG
07327.JPG
07726.JPG
07827.JPG
07928.JPG
08030.JPG
08127.JPG
08224.JPG
08327.JPG
08420.JPG
08526.JPG

As you can see in some of the pictures, the leaves on the numbers plants look like they may have a deficiency of some sort? Or does that look like heat? the temp. is at 81 max

I look forward to an exciting grow, learning as much as I can!

Re: TeachMe2Fish's First Grow; 4'x4' grow tent; 600w HID; bagseed

Hi teachme2fish!
Welcome to :420:
Excellent first post! You will love it here- lots of knowledge to research and lots of helpful people!
Couple questions:
Are the yellow leaves from before they were put into the FFOF?
I noticed a few of them have curled down leaves. That could be from wet roots. Do you have extra drainage holes in your pots?
These plants like a lot of air around their roots. I'd think about transplanting all of them (esp the ones in the dixie size cups) to see if thats the problem. They will love the room to spread out and you will have the chance to drill more holes in your pots (even some on the sides would be good). I'm sure more experienced growers than me will chime in soon with better advise on those leaves.
In the meantime I've found a lot of help here- Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial
Happy growing!

New growth looks good! I wouldn't sweat the the old growth too much probably from the old dirt. Let them dry out pretty good and pick out one and gently slide it out of its cup to see if it has a nice root ball. If It does go ahead and transplant. Careful with the ff grow big it's mighty strong. If the new growth is green and they are thriving I would stick with the big bloom until they get a little bigger.
Good luck with your grow check out my past grows in my sig I did a ff trio grow with bagseed made a lot of mistakes in it you could probably learn what not to do by reading it lol.. I finally went to organics it's much more forgiving. Salt based ferts are more for hydro in my opinion.

Good luck with your grow mate! You def came to the best place for help and info. I don't get around these parts much anymore I'm retired for the time being but I'll try and swing by from time to time.:green_heart:

Looks like they are loving their forever homes! Nice healthy looking plants.:welldone:

Hi teachme2fish!:byebye: Great job on the LST!:goodjob: You will be shocked by how they respond with new growth!
They look like they are loving the FFOF soil too- very happy looking little girls.:high-five:

subscribed. the leaf damage on your larger plants is most likely from the old soil and transplant, damaged leaves will not recover. the new growth on your plants appears to be growing well, your plants should outgrow the damaged leaves. I recently had a similar problem with soil in my Brainstorm Haze grow journal and had to transplant to a soiless mixture. your temperature and humidity levels are good. you want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil. what are you adjusting your pH to?

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

Thanks KJC! I actually just bought a digital meter about a week ago. When I stuck the meter into the soil it read 7. After I fed them it still said 7. I guess I thought since the plants looked OK I didn't need to worry. Newbie mistake I guess. But I just bought the "General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit" from amazon, it will be here in a couple of days so I can make adjust the ph.

I also broke down and ordered a cool tube reflector with add on wings. Using the 600w light really heats up my tent. So much that I can't fully close the tent. I've been leaving it partially open due to heat. I'm hoping with the cool tube I can get the temp down so I can actually keep the tent closed, as well as get the light closer to the plants. Right now the light is almost 30 in away from the plants and the temp stays around 80-82. If I close the tent the temperature goes up to 98!

The LST is going well. I have a few pictures showing just how much has grown in 3/4 days. I found that some of the plants that were a bit shorter weren't really getting any extra light so I untied them for now.

The great news....Yesterday my cooltube arrived! I had just ordered it Saturday, so when it was here Monday I was shocked!

The bad news, the condition of the box, labelled "fragile" looked like it had seen some much better days. It was kinda smashed and had definitely been opened and re-taped. I check it out and the tube has a small crack. boooo. Luckily I called and they will have me a new one Wednesday (today). Hopefully it will arrive safely.

Now on to what has been on my mind. I really want to scrog these, but with them being bag seeds I know half 50%ish will be male. To maximize my yield would it be ok to flip to 12/12 and sex them, then go back into Veg? Or would I be better off doing something else?
With 11 plants in there it will be getting tight soon. And when I do know the females, how many do I keep in there? I always just figured 4-6...but looking over journals I see many with 2 or so plants in a tent this size. I'm guessing you can have a good yield either way, but I'd still like to hear what anyone else would do.

I bought a new fan...the old one was just a temp. but I managed to drill a hole in the pallet I have the plants sitting on and the fan stand fits inide nice and tight! It made a little more room in there and is much more quiet we will as oscillates.

Here's the comparison
013609.JPG
010840.JPG

A little peek under the hood of the biggest plant. Stalk is thickening up nicely!!
012648.JPG

011720.JPG

014552.JPG

Hi Teachme2fish :ciao:

They look really healthy now :) :goodjob:

What lighting schedule are they on atm?

As they mature in veg, they will start to show their sex sooner or later.

Just be watchful and you will catch any males before they are capable of fertilizing anything.

Males generally grow faster and show their sex before females.

Switching to 12/12 and back will delay their growth as they have to revert to veg before they start growing again.

Just keep doing what you are doing :thumb:

With 11 plants in there it will be getting tight soon. And when I do know the females, how many do I keep in there? I always just figured 4-6...but looking over journals I see many with 2 or so plants in a tent this size. I'm guessing you can have a good yield either way, but I'd still like to hear what anyone else would do.

Hi teachme2fish! Your plants look very happy.:goodjob:
I'd keep however many females you end up with. I have the same setup as you do- 4x4 tent 600 HID and use FFOF too. My last grow had 9 plants squished into that tiny space and I got 13 ounces from them. This time I have 8! The more the merrier!
I'm not saying you should have that many plants in there, but if you end up with a lot of girls it's certainly doable.
Happy growing!:peace:

Thanks a lot Flower Child! I guess I won't stress anymore over how many girls I end up with. I will def be subscribing to your grows. It's neat seeing how others use the same amount of space, especially using the same power light.

Speaking of light. the new cooltube came yesterday, but I don't have a fan yet. I think I finally found which one I want, but it's kinda pricey, it may have to wait another week. Funds aren't exactly unlimited here to say the least. I did order a 600w MH bulb. Somehow I never understood until now how during veg the blue spectrum is preferred. Not sure how much longer I can really veg anyways, but it will sure come in handy in the future.

Now today I noticed a few leaves, not that many, that have some yellowish spots/places. On one the leaf has about 3 or 4 holes. I tried to take some pictures so hopefully someone will be able to help. I did feed them tonight and actually pHed them properly (I think). I kept it at 6.5-6.7. the meter is kinda cheap and was a bit squirrely with the readings. as I moved the probe around in the water mix it would change from 7 down to 6.7, then go back up to 7. I kept taking reading until I felt comfortable that it was in the right range.
Back to the spots, I know before tonight the pH was at 7 giving them gallons of spring water from the store. I did add some cal/mag to their nutes tonight for good measure. I wasn't sure if the spring water had any or not. It's not listed under the nutrition label.

012650.JPG

011721.JPG

010841.JPG

009901.JPG

Hi teachme2fish,
I think you did the right thing starting the cal-mag on them. If you look up calcium deficiency you will see that the rust spots look exactly like your plants. Good job on catching that!:thumb:

If your ph meter wanders a lot you could get the ph test drops to check the accuracy of our meter. It's cheap and easy to use-(its all I use.) I test the water before I give it to them and then can catch some of the runoff to see what that reads after(usually a bit lower).
I discovered the hard way these plants are really sensitive to ph with the lockouts and excess. My last grow I had a plant turn completely bronze before I figured it out. So far this grow I have had a few ph issues too- I'm dealing with some really bad tap water right now.
Happy growing!
:peace:

Last night I flushed them, and attempted to lower the pH a bit. I say attempted because my meter was saying one thing and the manual reading was different. Can anyone recommend a reliable meter? I haven't installed the cool tube yet. I am saving for very quiet, powerful fan. I did order a 600w MH bulb, which came today, but it just did not work. So they are sending another. I have been using the 600w HPS bulb because it was what I had. Using the Would using the HPS bulb have anything to do with why my nodes are so closely spaced? When I switch to the MH bulb will they stretch more because of the lower amount of lumens?

On the bright side, they are getting bushier everyday. Still no sign of sex yet though. Adding photos tomorrow

Hi teachme2fish,
Wow they are beautiful and getting huge! Reps!:thumb: How much longer are you going to veg them?

Regarding the MH vs HPS. In veg the MH lite promotes more compact growth than a HPS will so I don't think you will have a problem there.

And as far as showing sex- they may not do that till you switch them to the 12-12 light schedule.
Happy growing!:peace:

FlowerChild I'm so anxious to flip them, but I will try to be patient. I just saw a grow that has inspired me to wait...you should check it out. https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/ca215-indoor-3-a-13.203343/

So if I do the screens I may wait a few more weeks.

Yours are looking great BTW I def took some pointers from your training. I am tying down some branches right now. Yours are so bushy and fully Before, I just had the main stem tied down, but I def need to move some others around to get the light in there.

Back
Top Bottom