Stumped on bug ID

Bob Loblaw

So I had these on my floor on my last grow, it appears to me that they're back. I'm pretty sure they are living in the coco, I have the odd fungus gnat flying about, I see them on average about 1 a day. I have been using mosquito dunks by letting a chunk sit in my feed water at all times.

I've 2 small clones and a seedling in coco in 6oz cups Kratky style and I have flushed neem oil/soap through at least 3 times. 5 or 7 days later they show up in the bottom res.

On the floor they look like dust, magnified they look like tiny black cigars with 2 antenna on one end with no movement at all, in the water they swim like they're kids at the water park for the first time. Sorry but my microscope and camera are not compatible.

Dscn2712.jpg

The photo is from some of the ones I swept up off the floor last grow. Once in the water they wake up, on the floor you'd swear they were dead.
Thanks

old eyes, reading glass & ipad are not god combo for me but looks like larvae…. are they winged?? Yeah that’s full on critter orgy right there in your buckets

You may be able to knock them out with one of the SNS family of products added to your feed water. Their lineup is bio- pesticide made from plant extracts….. using nature to kill nature so no chemicals just plant oils

Beyond that prolly h202 or BT will knock them down but the dunks you use are BTi. Captain obvious here but there’s difference in BT versus BTi. I often get the 2 crossed but IIRC….. BT is for skeeters (mosquito) & fungus gnats i.e. - flyers…. whereas BT is for caterpillars, worms & maybe larvae so basically crawlers. Yup it’s crawlers versus flyers but again I could be wrong….. anywho be sure and stir that dunk water vigorously before pulling to make your feeds. In soil I crush dunks and use as top dress

outside link for bug identification Bugguide

I had no idea that bt and bti were different thanks. I'm guessing bt is the one for caterpillars. I will check.

They are tiny and no I do not see them flying at all, unless they are gnat larva which I don't think they are... hmm I'm not sure if I put any h202 through... will do.
Perhaps there's a stage when the fungus gnat larva turns to adult? but I don't think these mature any further than this.

I'm stumped.

I would prefer to eradicate these before I get into larger pots.

Yes agree! I’d bet chances are better now in smaller container to nail them anyway and I’d prolly do 2-3 rounds of whatevs you use before upcan if you think plants can wait a bit.

maybe someone will know what that is but I’m soil guy so don’t know much on coco but a pest is a pest & it’s gotta go

sticky traps and fan on media surface will help pick off those fungus gnats - kinda thinking it’s their larvae anyway but idk

FWIW They've very short legs that are only visible when they are swimming, on the floor they look like a cigar nothing more just 2 antenna sticking out one end. No wings that I can see.

So no legs or wings... I think this rules out gnat larva. The pics I see of gnat larva are translucent worms with a black dot in the head.

I pushed a heavy dose of h202 through yesterday, I will look for a ride to the hardware store for some bt.

Question is this sns family of products available in Canada? My initial search tells me no luck.

Thanks for your help. I believe you are right and I should get somekind crawler crusher...like bt.

Back
Top Bottom