Surface area per plant: do I need another greenhouse?

johnybologna

420 Member
I just sprouted my plants and somewhere along the line I've miscounted: I thought I had around a dozen seeds, which I thought would be perfect for my 3.5 x 2 meter greenhouse. Now I'm counting 24 seeds. They are different types of auto-flowers. Going for high yield, so I'd cut the main top to cultivate 4-8 big buds (super cropping). In mediterranean climate. Open soil in high-quality compost.

I'm afraid that my greenhouse will be the limiting factor, but I'm not experienced enough to know how what surface area each plant will take. Should I get another greenhouse of the same size?

Depends on a factor of a million different things tbh mate.
3-5 gal pots and you most likely get 3-5oz per plant assuming things are pretty optimal throughout. Stick em in a hundred litre pot and they could turn out at 30oz.
Also depends what your sun situation is cos I could be the best grower on earth but id still struggle to get a 5oz auto outside with my weather. Lucky the grass even grows in Scotland lol.
Not really a question you'll know the answer to untill you get there yourself I'm afraid bud. Just have to wait and see how things turn out.
Your soil might be too hot and stunt them or it might be awesome and turn them into trees. Anything can happen mate.
Not a particularly helpful response I realise but about as best as I can do lol

Also I'm not an outdoors grower but I'm fairly sure it's pointless to top autos outside. I do it indoors but it's so I can get everything closer to the light. You won't have that problem. I'd double check with an outdoors dude before cutting the heads off them it might not be worth the while

If they are all autos you should be ok...I experimented with larger pots for autos and the yield (and general size) remained approximately the same...I now only give them 7-gallon (26L) pots and they are fine. It sounds like you are planting them in the ground...if you were planting them in pots you could raise half of them about about a meter (on the inside preferably)..this will give the canopies more access to light as they flower.

:goodluck:

Given that everyone's environment is different, predicting your situation is difficult. I would just go with what you've got now and see how it pans out. At the end of the season you can learn from this one and prepare for next year accordingly. Accept the fact you are going to err in some aspects of the grow; there is no such thing as painless learning. :)

Yes, I'm planting in full ground. Which is exactly why I'm asking myself this question. If I'd put them in pots, I could buy an extra greenhouse when I notice they're becoming too big. But now I have to make the final decision, because I don't want to transplant half of them in a couple of weeks: how far do I space them :S
0.6 m2 or 0.3 m2?

And the sun situation is great! South of Europe.

I top all my autos...better plant shape and you get 2x "main" colas.
Yeah I top all mine too mate, then tie them down a few times and get a hundred half mains lol. I'm indoors though and it's not something I've ever noticed outdoors guys doing. They usually just leave them to it or use LST from my observations. Don't really see much outdoor topping going on with autos.

Ahh theyre in the ground aswell. That changes things a bit doesn't it.
Assuming you've dug your hole right and the soil is indeed good quality for weed and I now realise you have "Mediterranean sun" so yeah. 24 plants in that space might be pushing it a little lol.

These are autos though mate and you've got different strains.

They are all pre pregrammed to flower at different times and to grow to different sizes.
Some might be done in 60 days, others might go to 120-130 days.
The faster finishing ones are fucked if things aren't perfect when you top them. They'll just stop growing and go straight into flower.
The bigger strains will explode with growth. I've seen plenty 1kg+ autos done outdoors in the ground.
The potential difference in yield is literally 3grams all the way up to well over a kilo per plant mate.

Don't count your chickens on your first run man. Can have all the expert advise in the world and it all counts for nothing if you make a mistake early on.

Take transplanting for example as you mentioned it.

Wait too long in pots and they'll get root bound.
In which case, autos will go into bloom as fast as they can.
Damage the roots too much while you're doing it and they could stunt for a week or 2 before they start growing again.
Or they could be completely fucked.

Try digging an auto out the ground though and, well let's just say I wouldn't bet a weeks wages on it getting any bigger than it was.

I love growing autos mate, they're easy. My profile pic is my biggest one so far.
It honestly doesn't take much but you've gotta be really fuckin careful with them untill there's a decent root system down and once it is down you don't want to fuck with it.
Growing autos is easy mate but the more variables you bring in the lower your chance of success.

It's your first grow so just take it easy and let them do their thing.
Some will work.
Others most likely won't.
You'll get wierd issues and try different things to fix it when you probably should've just left them alone.

We all get screwed over in our first few grows at some point mate so don't get ahead of yourself.

Just concentrate on keeping them alive for the next few weeks man. Leave them in the ground :)

The site has a daily limit of f-bombs. Todays are used up :snowboating:
Please tell me your not offended by a word mate??

I live in scotland where it is perfectly socially acceptable to call somebody a cunt.

You can be a good cunt,
A funny cunt,
A mental cunt (in a good way)

Cunt is a word much in the same way as fuck.
It is perceived how people choose it to be.

For example.

I am Scottish and as a Nation, we are pretty hard to offend.
Most English speaking languages are offended by things we say to eachother as a compliment.

"That cunts a fuckin belter!"

The literal translation of "belter" is a heroine user who has to wrap a belt round their arm.

But again, that's a Scottish word and a Scottish definition said with a Scottish intonation.

'A belter' can also be used to replace words that mean really good things.

You could score a belter of a goal.
Have a belter of a win at the bookies.

Or you could also have a belter of a flu.
A belter of a cold.
A belter of a mum or a belter of a dad.
Wether that means your parents are junkies or brilliant people to be around depends entirely on the Intonation of the sentence.

I apologise if my use of what many call profanities is not to your pallet but I never direct these words at people and There for there is no reason for anyone to be defensive around them.

This is 2019.
Donald trump
King jong un
Vladimir Putin
And now Borris " the bike wanker" johnson.

Those 4 men are the most powerful men in the world and they all regularly push buttons that cause the deaths of an immeasurable number of men, women and children.
They force suffering upon so many people and cause so much damage to our planet and people are still not high enough above ground to hear a simple word without feeling the need to assert some sort of dominance over the matter due to reasons I can't possibly begin to imagine.

Please don't take offence to anything I say.
It's honestly just the fact that I'm Scottish and our verbal language/meaning/train of thought generally doesn't translate very well with other English speaking nations.

Sorry for the ramble. Get it a lot though lol.

We don't speak English though.
We are taught to read and write in English but what most of us speak is a fairly irecogniseable language.

If you've ever seen the film " Snatch"
We're kind of like the gypsy guy but with more swear words.

Back
Top Bottom