Taking mesh off peat pellets

With all respect I must disagree!

I left them on once and my plants died.. when I dug up the roots to investigate, it looked like the mesh really stopped the roots from bulking up.

20190530_194319.jpg

You can see the size of stem going into peat pellet, then instantly went to the size of string. Also, no roots came out the bottom, only sides. I feel it screwed em fairly bad! Maybe just the brand I had. Maybe this caused less harm than I'm thinking.. who knows.

No, just leave it. The less you touch the roots the better all around. The roots will easily work their way out of the pots and the pots will decompose pretty quick. Just drop them in.

My first grow ,when I transplanted into 3g cloth pots I really over watered.The roots looked respectable but were probably not ready to transplant.Took 10-12 days to dry out.This is the result 100 days later.(also over fertilized the entire grow).
Any other opinions.

Attachments

• root  jars 001.jpg
    root jars 001.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 295
I take it off as soon as I see a tap root trying to grow thru it. It wont decomp thats the first thing and it will restrict root branching and stunt growth.

Thats my experience I use them a lot specially with seed popping.

As soon as I see a tap root, I CAREFULLY cut off the mesh and stick that peat pellet into a pot of soil.

I've never had a problem only had problems when I didn't do it. Same with cubes and clones. I cut the cube off the roots (again CAREFULLY).

Don't forget you can always try another product. I use Rapid Rooters, they seem to hold the right amount of water for either clones or seeds. There are other products similar to them that may be a little cheaper. I never worry about plastic nets around my roots and can transplant into any medium.

Rapid rooters singles view.jpg

I'd use rapid rooters but I've found they do not compost for some reason. They are pretty much the only thing that came out of my sifted compost still in the same form they went into the compost bin.

This was surprising and at the same time a little troubling. So the plant will grow thru the rapid rooters after I chop and toss the root into the compost bin then 6-8 months later the rapid rooters come out of compost unscathed the roots are completely gone.

I haven't seen anything come thru composting unchanged cept maybe some plastics.

With that, I stopped using them. Started using peat pellets and removing the mesh.

Next up for me is making my own starting cubes with home made soil and a press.

Back
Top Bottom