Teen killed in home invasion to steal pot

Teen shot with his own gun by homeowner.

ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A home invasion robbery at an Antioch home with an indoor marijuana growing operation ended in a wild shootout early Tuesday that left a teenage suspect dead and two residents airlifted to a local hospital with critical injuries, police said.

Antioch police Capt. Allan Cantando told KTVU that the home owner at 1301 Aster called 911 at 4:37 a.m. to report that three African-American suspects were attempting to break into his home.

When officers arrived, they found a bloody scene. The 35-year-old homeowner who called police was seriously wounded as was his wife, who is in her 20s. Both were airlifted to local hospitals.

Officers also found the body of a 15-year-old teenager who allegedly was one of the three who broke into the home. Another 17-year-old suspect was held at gunpoint by the wounded homeowner and taken into custody by police.

"By all indications there looks like there was a third suspect who fled out a back window and we are now doing a neighborhood canvas at this time looking for him," Cantando said.

SWAT teams and a K-9 unit did a careful search of the neighborhood for the third suspect, but he was not found by authorities and remained at large. The suspect did not get away from the house unscathed.

"There's indication that he may be shot because of blood going out the window of the back of the residence," said Cantando.

According to Cantando, police also found "an inside marijuana grow" in two rooms of the home and that may have been the motive of the break-in.

"What people have to realize when they enter into drug activity and growing drugs they're not only putting themselves at risk, but their family at risk," explained Cantando.

While details were still being determined, Cantando said some kind of shootout took place inside the home.

"The suspects came in a back window and it looks like at that time they were confronted by the homeowner," Cantando said. "At this time, we know that the homeowner and his wife were shot. It appears that one of the suspects shot the wife as she was coming down the hallway."

"There is some question about how the 15-year-old was shot. We don't know if the homeowner armed himself with a gun or disarmed one of the armed assailants coming into the residence."

Two young children were in the home at the time of the shootout. The 10-month-old and 2-year-old were uninjured and turned over to their grandparents.

Neighbors said the family was quiet and living in a normally quiet neighborhood.

"It just seemed like a nice, quiet family. I mean, for the most part," said neighbor Dan Black. "Seen them outside once in a while playing with the kids."

The identities of the dead teen and the couple wounded were not released. There was also no immediate word on the condition of the couple.

You come into my house with a gun, I don't care how old you are, you're leavin' in a body bag.....

the teenage thugs had guns. the homeowner took the kids gun away after being shot himself and then shot him with it. the homeowners will survive....

I really do hope the home owner survives, those kids had it coming. Breaking into a persons home to steal from them. Man that is the lowest of the low. I hate thieves I hate, I dont care how old you are. You break in my house, armed or not. Your probably not walking home, that is if you live.

Thats pretty badass he took the gun away from them then shot the stupid kids. I agree i always worry someone might do something to my dogs if they break in. that would break my heart you can take all my shit just don't hurt my dogs

I'm a BIG believer in our 2nd amendment rights, and will defend my home/possessions.

+1 for you break into my home, and you're likely to get carried out...bruised and bleeding.

I'm a BIG believer in our 2nd amendment rights, and will defend my home/possessions.

+1 for you break into my home, and you're likely to get carried out...bruised and bleeding.

yup yup

Outstanding topic HD,
This past year two graduates of a major university near my home were shot and killed in their apartment by a kid who had a marijuana debt of around $1200 owed to the male victim.

Several weeks later a similar incident to the one you posted above resulted in two dead teens and one injured teen who attempted to enter and rob a grow op.
The teens were armed with one BB gun. The three residents in the home were each armed with 12 gauge Remingtons.

It is absolutely absurd that young morons in this country have decided that it is easier to rob and kill for a plant rather than just grow it
The US goverment needs to take an all out stand of decriminilization toward marijuana.
The fact that US citizens are killing and robbing each other for a plant should be reason enough. There is no reason a responsible citizen should not be able to grow thier own and avoid the nastiness that US war on drugs has created.
Alchohol & tobacco ar legal and many people in this country brew their own beer, make their own wine, and roll homegrown cigars.
When's the last time you heard of dead kids at the site of a home brewery?

Save Lives, Free The Weed. :peace:

The bottom line for me is that if anyone enters my home with the intent of stealing my property (money, tv, jewelry, cannabis, etc) and is armed with a weapon, age is of no concern. I will do everything in my power to defend my home and family, including killing the perp, if necessary.

I'll go 1 further, Hogdady...you enter my home armed or unarmed with the intent to steal my property or do harm to myself/family, and the only thing that will beat you to the hospital is the headlights of the ambulance you're riding in.

:peace:

I'll go 1 further, Hogdady...you enter my home armed or unarmed with the intent to steal my property or do harm to myself/family, and the only thing that will beat you to the hospital is the headlights of the ambulance you're riding in.

:peace:

:amen:

Yeah that's where I used to live. The owner of the house is always super nice and happy, it's a shame people can't just buy it and smoke. If it was legal it wouldn't even be a problem.

On top of that yesterday in LA there were two armed robberies of dispensaries both resulted in the death of the kids who were running the disp, plus one of them even had an armed guard there .He was also shot !! WTF !! Help us Mr.Wizard !!

The only ones who ever broke into my house and stole my weed were the cops.
They stole all my growing equipment also.
And my guns.

Now I am a convicted felon and can't even own a gun.
So I can't defend myself in case somebody else comes to steal my stuff.

I have heard that a flare signal pistol does a pretty good job at close range.
You only get one shot though.

Back
Top Bottom