Temps and Humidity In Deep Water Culture

Holy crap, I bought one of those point and shoot thermometers because I wanted to make sure my TRI-Meter was accurate. Why the hell didn't i just think of that!!!!

What you guys say about those digital PH meters when you can test the same waters 3 times and get 3 different readings.
Any meters or different protocols for solving this issue?

What you guys say about those digital PH meters when you can test the same waters 3 times and get 3 different readings.

Most times I see this, the grower is testing the water in the tank, instead of a sample. Always get 1/4 cup of water out of the tank, and test it out of the tank, in a cup or small container.

Most times I see this, the grower is testing the water in the tank, instead of a sample. Always get 1/4 cup of water out of the tank, and test it out of the tank, in a cup or small container.
I always test with the probe in the res. Why do you take a sample out? It is the same water isn't it?

I always test with the probe in the res. Why do you take a sample out? It is the same water isn't it?

pH pens are very sensitive. Many of them take about 2 min to adjust for temperature and get an accurate reading. I use a 2 oz. shot glass.
Normally the pH changes anywhere from .3 to .6 points 5 min after the original reading when I stick the pen in the glass.

So to get an accurate reading take the sample, swirl the pen in the glass for a second and leave the pen still, sitting in the glass for 3-5 min. Allowing it time to adjust for temp. You'll be VERY surprised what your true pH is if you've been dipping in the res.

I wonder how many people bring lockout onto themselves and ride the pH roller coaster because they're adjusting the pH before they even know the actual reading.....

I do the same as Roseman the only reason is for my account is because if I accidentally drop my PPM/PH meter in the res it is not H2O proof so it will fail.

The probes are very sensitive, and can easily get dirty, coated from certain nutes, or air bubbles can mess with readings. I know when my meter is acting up I get the calibration solution and test it, then calibrate it. Once re-calibarated the meter works great and gets it's readings quickly. The more I use the meter the less I have to calibrate it, but the less I use it the more I have to calibrate. Hanna 3-1 meter. Really happy with it.

pH pens are very sensitive. Many of them take about 2 min to adjust for temperature and get an accurate reading. I use a 2 oz. shot glass.
Normally the pH changes anywhere from .3 to .6 points 5 min after the original reading when I stick the pen in the glass.

So to get an accurate reading take the sample, swirl the pen in the glass for a second and leave the pen still, sitting in the glass for 3-5 min. Allowing it time to adjust for temp. You'll be VERY surprised what your true pH is if you've been dipping in the res.

I wonder how many people bring lockout onto themselves and ride the pH roller coaster because they're adjusting the pH before they even know the actual reading.....

GREAT POST, GREAT INFO, Jonny!

Are there any old school PH Drop Test users out there or is it just me.
I bet its just me lol. I have the PPM meter but that's it for confounded do dads lol
P.S (Post Script) The Internets a fad lol.

Are there any old school PH Drop Test users out there or is it just me.
I bet its just me lol. I have the PPM meter but that's it for confounded do dads lol
P.S (Post Script) The Internets a fad lol.

Achmed!!!

I used the test strips on my first two grows. They taught me you don't have to be precise to one/tenth point either.

(Next time I run into him, I 'm going to tell Al Gore what you said about his invention.)

HUMIDITY? that is more simple to me. Get the Humidity VERY high for VEGGING, and very low for FLOWERING.

Have you ever seen how an outdoor plant loves a rain shower? In Vegging, I mist them daily. I mist with plain distilled water and i mist with a foilage spray too. I do raise the lights up, to be careful with my bulbs getting wet and breaking. And when it rains outside, it also gets cloudy and the sun's rays are blocked. Plants in outdoors, in nature do get an ocasional rain shower or thunderstorm. Do you let it rain on yours? I do, but artificially by MISTING.
AND, I bought a cheap humidifier.

Cheap De-Humidifier for closets and tents
$40 at amazon.com

Amazon_40.jpg

Cheap Cool Mist Humidifiers from Walmart:

26_Humidifier.jpg
$26

Graco, Cool Mist Humidifier, 1.5 Gallon $29.96
Graco_29_98.jpg

Ultrasonic Humidifier With Light $28.97

Ultra_Sonic_28_97.jpg

I must say I quit using the Humidifier. Discovered something cheaper and easier.

I roll up newspapers, like a cigar, and put them in a wide mouth quart jar full of water, like a wick, and they help raise humidity.

I lay saucers and bowls of water and 12 ounce styrafoam cups full of water around my reservoir tanks, to raise humidity.

I roll up face clothes like a cigar, (pics will follow) soak them in water and lay them on the lid in between the plants, to raise humidity.

I hang a soaking wet, dripping wet bath towel over a bucket in my closet, and it raises humidity.

I guarantee you that 3 or 4 of these tricks will raise the humidity in a closet by 15%, to 20%.

Air Circulation

Oscilating Fan

Oscilating_Fan.jpg

An oscilating fan is an absolute necessityto me, in growing.
First it cools the area. Moving Air is cooler Air. Consider in nature, outdoors, plants get breezes and strong winds blown on them, for a reason.
Second, you know how to strenghten a muscle, or make it larger, or stronger or grow faster? You exercise it, you MOVE it.
To strenghten a plants stem, stalk or branch, or make it larger, or stronger or grow faster, you MOVE it too, with an oscilating FAN blowing on it.

Fans help with Temps, Humidity Control, Moisture Control, etc.

Air movement is very necessary for the health of your plants, but too strong of a fan can cause wind burn. Direct your fan toward the tops of the plants and toward the lights. Never position the fan blowing strongly downward on the leaves or you can get wind burn.

I do ocasionally blow the fan directly on my plants in VEG, and everytime after I MIST them, but only for a short while.

I bought a 2nd fan, like above, but on a three foot tall stand and I use both now, one blowing up and over, and one blowing down and low.

Exhaust control it plays a huge role. A volume of air that has a hot light and lots of water will become very hot and extremely humid within an hour if the air is not exchanged regularly under normal conditions. So, if you want to have high temps and humid air you can leave your tent sealed up under your 400w or 600w light (or use a fan controller for better results!) I mean like the walls will be wet humid if you just don't exchange the air - but they can't survive without gas exchange once they eat all the CO2.

Exhaust control it plays a huge role. A volume of air that has a hot light and lots of water will become very hot and extremely humid within an hour if the air is not exchanged regularly under normal conditions. So, if you want to have high temps and humid air you can leave your tent sealed up under your 400w or 600w light (or use a fan controller for better results!) I mean like the walls will be wet humid if you just don't exchange the air - but they can't survive without gas exchange once they eat all the CO2.

Thats good info and a great addition to the thread.

Another great thread well done!
I recently got humidifiers for my areas and they are working great. One thing i've had to do is turn off the humidifier when i turn off my HID lights or the RH goes way up (90%+) and humidity usually just above. I also turn my cooling fans off at night(when the lights go off) so the CO2 will rise, so of course i wasn't thinking about the extra humidity at night lol live and learn. Now im going to get a photo sensitive electric socket to plug in all the things i'd like to go off when lights off.
By the way, I got the same humdifier thats listed from walmart for 26 bucks, for 24 bucks at walmart near me and im going back for the .99 cent stick on thermometer I can't believe i missed those looking at all the fish lol

Keep up the great work!:bongrip::rollit::thanks:

Musik:Rasta::peace:

Another great thread well done!
I recently got humidifiers for my areas and they are working great. One thing i've had to do is turn off the humidifier when i turn off my HID lights or the RH goes way up (90%+) and humidity usually just above. I also turn my cooling fans off at night(when the lights go off) so the CO2 will rise, so of course i wasn't thinking about the extra humidity at night lol live and learn. Now im going to get a photo sensitive electric socket to plug in all the things i'd like to go off when lights off.
By the way, I got the same humdifier thats listed from walmart for 26 bucks, for 24 bucks at walmart near me and im going back for the .99 cent stick on thermometer I can't believe i missed those looking at all the fish lol

Keep up the great work!:bongrip::rollit::thanks:

Musik:Rasta::peace:

Welcome to the Deep Water Culture too, bro!

I have a real problem with humidity in the dead of winter when the heat is on so much. RH is around 20 most of the time. I have two of those walmart cool mist in the closet and even that only gets it to 40. I'd like to figure out some kind of automatic mister for the plants themselves. I've tried wet towels and such but they dry out and need changed so fast. I may try the newspaper in a jar but take that to the next level and find something to wick up out of a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom