The Kids Are All Right, Even if Their Parents Grow Pot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Just because the folks next door are drug dealers doesn't mean they're bad parents.

In fact, researchers at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children say the children of couples who operate marijuana grow rooms are often extremely healthy, physically and emotionally. And they rarely use illegal drugs.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports researchers question whether parents caught growing marijuana should automatically lose custody of their children.

"After examining 75 of the kids over several years, we came to very clear conclusions that a vast majority of these kids are doing well -- well fed, well kept, doing well in school and developing well," lead researcher Gideon Koren of the University of Toronto tells the CBC. "Taking a small child from his or her parents in a well-adapted environment causes fear, anxiety, confusion and sadness."

Traditional procedure in Toronto, the network reports, has been to remove children from homes where illegal marijuana operations have been discovered and place the kids in foster care.

Patrick Lake, executive director of York Region Children's Aid Society, tells the CBC child welfare workers have learned more about the effects marijuana growing operations have on children since 2006, and have changed how they maintain the children's safety.

"We have developed a more customized and comprehensive process to determine best response, on a case-by-case basis, while looking for ways to safely maintain children with their parents or relatives," Lake says.

Koren tells the CBC he hopes Canadian authorities will see the children of pot growers a little differently after his study.

"When police and children's aid go into that situation, they have to look much more carefully on what happened to that child, and not blanket-wise moving kids out of their homes," he says.

weed590-1311787649.jpg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: aol.com
Author: Tom Henderson
Copyright: AOL Inc.
Website: The Kids Are All Right, Even if Their Parents Grow Pot - ParentDish

You l now it fuckin disgusts me. My neighbor is a total piece of shit, if he knew what I was doing hed hAve me blackballed my kids would be ostrasized ...the funny thing is this dude has the latgest destilling set up ever...whys it ok for him? If his kid drank that crap hed die, if my kid gets into my stash, hed eat some ice cream and take a nap..i own a very very.sucessful business and I have one hundred employees..everyone thinks that the growers are just scumbag criminals, hiding in a basement selling drugs and shit....well im sure in reallity a lot are just like me..although im sure theres criminals too..but theres criminals everywhere

I hate how much harm has been done to the families of people who chose to partake of cannabis. So many people site their "concern for the children" as a defense for the godforsaken War on Drugs, but it's bullshit. It's hurt so many. Who has it really helped?

Politicians, the big businesses that pay them to make the laws they want, & the dangerous drug cartels. (Between the system & the gang violence, irreparable harm has been done to children not only in our country, but in others we've used our policies to victimize.) So much for the children.

Just got done reading an old article Feature: Can Medical Marijuana Cost You Your Kid? In California, It Can | StoptheDrugWar.org about a family whose been put through a ringer that is still ongoing. They look like a sweet family, too. Felony child endangerment charges amidst all the other bullshit they've had thrown their way. It's terrible. At least they got their kids back, but this will haunt all of them forever, & they've just been bullied all to hell. Wish they could sue & take those assholes to the cleaners.

I live in the UK and the whole notion of losing your kids as a result of being found with cannabis seems absolutely absurd. Im sure that most of you are wise to it and i dont need to tell you that your rights and freedoms are being trampled big time in the US. The whole legal system is a rig designed to make private corporations alot of money, while imprisoning the poorest of society and forcing them to work as virtual slaves. Im sure that if you looked into it Child Protective Services is a privately owned corporation turning over huge profits every year and derriving their income from the volume of children they take.

I live in the UK and the whole notion of losing your kids as a result of being found with cannabis seems absolutely absurd. Im sure that most of you are wise to it and i dont need to tell you that your rights and freedoms are being trampled big time in the US. The whole legal system is a rig designed to make private corporations alot of money, while imprisoning the poorest of society and forcing them to work as virtual slaves. Im sure that if you looked into it Child Protective Services is a privately owned corporation turning over huge profits every year and derriving their income from the volume of children they take.

Many of us are well aware of that, if we know anything about it at all. There was a lady politician, Senator Nancy Schaefer, whose work I came across several years back who was actively fighting corruption in CPS, basically legalized kidnapping for profit... I remember thinking back then that I respected that lady & she could actually make a difference barring something awful happening to her. In the past year, decided to look her up & see how she was doing... Dead. Supposedly killed by her husband who then suicided.

I don't know... I read up a bit on it, & from the start, the lady was black-balled for trying to fight it & the circumstances around the death of her & her husband are suspicious at best. Kind of screams of assassination...

CPS is very powerful, & they get federal incentives to steal as many kids as they can. (Extra for kids they can label as "Special Needs" & put on dangerous medications) The children of marijuana consumers are especially appealing targets to them as the kids are often good kids (very adoptable) & they can vilify the parents as awful drug users neglecting/abusing their children. (Just the act of using cannabis is grounds for being accused of neglect & possibly even endangerment, abuse, & assault depending on the circumstances.) Also, many have neither the money or experience to fight back.

I hate the corrupt system that's in place, but those who genuinely try to call out the worst of it have a tendency to die under suspicious circumstances. :/

I grow and I have kids...i tried to hide it from them I put everything in my cellar, built a room for it, then one day their lazy mom decided to send my eight year old down to get laundry..i had to have the talk..how do you tell a eight yr old he has to keep that big of a secret,..the only reason id even keep it secret is people fuckin suck..all these drunks in my neighborhood , that send their kids to fetch them beer would probably try and ruin me for growing.

I own a pharmacy and im trusted to hand out a whole list of life destoying drugs, I have a compounding room where we make all sorts of drugs..whhy on earth I cant grow mj is insane..you smoke.mj everyday for a year and just stop youll miss it,mentaly youllmiss it..try taking anyone of the benzos or opiated for a year strait and you will NOT be the same person ever again

@kdogsgirls

I'm glad you spoke with your kid & hope you guys stay safe. Best to educate your kid early, so he didn't have his head spun too badly by propaganda first. I haven't smoked for years now, but I've raised my kids to know my views so they aren't ignorant. The older ones also have some first hand knowledge of just what the system can do to the families of people who smoke. They know I don't smoke & why. They know it would help me, that I miss it, & think it should be legal. They know their daddy (my ex) smokes & that it helps him with his various issues. They actually have a number of loved ones who smoke & it just goes to show them that the hype is bullshit. (Claims that it's dangerous & addictive just make me fuming mad.)

I've had to step onto my soapbox & educate friends & neighbors, who were shockingly ignorant &/or misinformed. Cannabis consumers shouldn't have to deal with people viewing them as scum & trying to destroy their families over partaking in an herb. Only way to stop it is by more & more people standing up, being heard, fighting back, & educating the ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom