Thrips!

Paulpoirier

4th grow, 4x4 tent, 315w cmh, organic soil, 10gal pots x2, gg4 and og kush. At the start of 6th weeks flowering, im still dealing with thrips and its going bad. Lowered humidity to 35%, yellow traps, "bug b gone eco"sprayed.. now my question is.. should I just let it finish as it can or spray it again even if theres only 3 weeks left? On the bottle it says its safe till harvest on vegetables.. if I let it go will it seriously affect harvest?
20200610_063843.jpg
20200610_063823.jpg

Looks like a major Mite infestation to me. Been there and put up with it.

When I started growing inside, which was in a basement room, my plan was to have a perpetual grow going. Very quickly I noticed the Mite problem starting and I had to research how to kill off the mite population while continuing with the perpetual growing.

By the looks of the first photo you should already have a large enough Mite population that they have started to build very thick webbing up in the flowers. One way to check if this is happening is to take a spray bottle which can be adjusted to spray a fine mist. Fill the bottle with water and spray the buds, all of them, with the mist. Then move around looking at the buds from every angle possible. If a major Mite web is present it will show up just like a big web built by common spiders will show up in an early morning when the dew settles on the web.

There are plenty of people who have taken care of a Mite problem in a perpetual garden and in a full term garden (term as in the garden ends when the plants are harvested and a new term starts with the planting of new seeds or new clones).

Not sure what "bug b gone eco" is but I would bet that it is not something that will solve the problem with one spraying no matter what the bottle says. Actually, looking at those leaves, which probably make the top leaves of your plants look like they are made of silver, the best you can hope to do is knock the Mite population down some but you will not eradicate them before harvest.

Looks like a major Mite infestation to me. Been there and put up with it.

When I started growing inside, which was in a basement room, my plan was to have a perpetual grow going. Very quickly I noticed the Mite problem starting and I had to research how to kill off the mite population while continuing with the perpetual growing.

By the looks of the first photo you should already have a large enough Mite population that they have started to build very thick webbing up in the flowers. One way to check if this is happening is to take a spray bottle which can be adjusted to spray a fine mist. Fill the bottle with water and spray the buds, all of them, with the mist. Then move around looking at the buds from every angle possible. If a major Mite web is present it will show up just like a big web built by common spiders will show up in an early morning when the dew settles on the web.

There are plenty of people who have taken care of a Mite problem in a perpetual garden and in a full term garden (term as in the garden ends when the plants are harvested and a new term starts with the planting of new seeds or new clones).

Not sure what "bug b gone eco" is but I would bet that it is not something that will solve the problem with one spraying no matter what the bottle says. Actually, looking at those leaves, which probably make the top leaves of your plants look like they are made of silver, the best you can hope to do is knock the Mite population down some but you will not eradicate them before harvest.

They really do looks more like thrips though maybe there are mites too but I see them thrips moving under the leaves. Little white things exactly like this on picture
Trip_HSO_blog.jpg

You may have thrips as well, but that first pic is classic (and pretty bad) spider mite damage. I unfortunately know this because I found out way too late in a past grow, and my plants looked much like this. I'm afraid there isn't much good news to share about how it went....except that I knew what to look for the next time. Another problem with an infestation like that is that it's similar to pollen in that it's very difficult to eradicate them 100%, to protect your next grow. I had several re-infestations even after industrial type cleaning and sanitizing. Spider mites are very resilient and will hide and wait for your next seedling. Nothing more disheartening than seeing a 3 inch tall plant already ravaged by mites. And once it's that far into flower, your choices become limited without plant damage.
You probably still want to treat and harvest and smoke this crop, and I understand. BUT before you start your next crop, remember there are thousands and thousands of those things in your grow space, and it only takes 1 pregnant mite to start your woes. Prepare accordingly!

You may have thrips as well, but that first pic is classic (and pretty bad) spider mite damage. I unfortunately know this because I found out way too late in a past grow, and my plants looked much like this. I'm afraid there isn't much good news to share about how it went....except that I knew what to look for the next time. Another problem with an infestation like that is that it's similar to pollen in that it's very difficult to eradicate them 100%, to protect your next grow. I had several re-infestations even after industrial type cleaning and sanitizing. Spider mites are very resilient and will hide and wait for your next seedling. Nothing more disheartening than seeing a 3 inch tall plant already ravaged by mites. And once it's that far into flower, your choices become limited without plant damage.
You probably still want to treat and harvest and smoke this crop, and I understand. BUT before you start your next crop, remember there are thousands and thousands of those things in your grow space, and it only takes 1 pregnant mite to start your woes. Prepare accordingly!
Oh man... at least its not perpetual. 3 weeks left and im gonna bleach the grow room then concentrate on my outdoor grow and no indoor till october.. hope its gonna get rid of them.

Oh man... at least its not perpetual. 3 weeks left and im gonna bleach the grow room then concentrate on my outdoor grow and no indoor till october.. hope its gonna get rid of them.
That’s pretty much what I did. Closed down the grow room for a bit, treated everything, and was ready next time. It’s all you can really do, those things are stubborn little bastards!

When you start back up indoors in October it would be best to treat the plants and the grow area like you have the problem even if you do not see anything. There are a lot of messages where that is what people have done just to be sure that any insect problem does not get out of control before they can actually see the insects.

What would you recommend to disinfect the tent ? Should I mix up some kind of spray, or what, I think I have bugs in the tent !

Back
Top Bottom