Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

If one REALLY wanted to go that way you could set tje controller timer so that it was always on amd use a titan timer. I think its called am Apollo, this timer can be set to run only once a week, once a day or anything inbetween.

Great point! But, I think you'd want to tinker a bit to figure out good timer settings - and it would need to be revisited from time to time as needs change... But, that's the way to go if you are gonna do coco in these fo sho.

I agree the flood schedule would be drastically different. I like to think outside the box sort of. Just how many ways I can utilize and get my money's worth. That's what makes these forums work. Bouncing ideas around.

Good to hear the hose is smooth inside if I chose to use it. I just need to figure timing on setting up and where. So many things growing in the current configurations.

I third the recommendation to use Hydroton (or whatever replacement your shop has). I've read countless posts from folks trying alternatives in bucket systems. I only know of one person that didn't go back to rock. There is a reason the manufacturers recommend it. It works well. :)

I know your questions are pretty well answered, but I want to bring up one very important detail that wasn't mentioned...

Yes, you can certainly use the system to drive multiple rooms, but as AK said, keep in mind they will be on the same feeding schedule from the same nutrient mix, so basically they will be the same age and under the same light schedule. The only scenario I can see where this would be useful is when doing experiments testing changes in the environment or something, ie a side by side grow with or without CO2 or something.

That being said, if you want have a single controller/res supply 2 rooms, it can certainly be done. The system won't know the difference, but there is one important thing to keep in mind. All of the hose must stay on the floor. You cannot have it go up and over anything to get to the other room. So if you want to go through a wall, you will need to cut out the footer to get the hose down to the floor level. That's why most of us that use this type of system have the controllers in the grow room. The reservoir can be outside the room since the water going through those hoses is pumped. The water between the controller and the site buckets are moved by gravity. Hopefully this is clear, but if not, it will become abundantly clear once you start setting up the system.

Good post hiker. Thanks! Can't wait for aks and xlr8s thread on all the ins and outs of this system. Finally cleaned out the area for the Titan. Got another question though. Can I transplant my girls I got in veg, which are in red solo cups filled with rockwoll at the moment (ik sure they're root bound or nearly rootbound by now), right into the Titan system buckets filled with hydroton? I'm sure once I have my system in front of me I won't be asking such dumb questions!

I third the recommendation to use Hydroton (or whatever replacement your shop has). I've read countless posts from folks trying alternatives in bucket systems. I only know of one person that didn't go back to rock. There is a reason the manufacturers recommend it. It works well. :)

I know your questions are pretty well answered, but I want to bring up one very important detail that wasn't mentioned...

Yes, you can certainly use the system to drive multiple rooms, but as AK said, keep in mind they will be on the same feeding schedule from the same nutrient mix, so basically they will be the same age and under the same light schedule. The only scenario I can see where this would be useful is when doing experiments testing changes in the environment or something, ie a side by side grow with or without CO2 or something.

That being said, if you want have a single controller/res supply 2 rooms, it can certainly be done. The system won't know the difference, but there is one important thing to keep in mind. All of the hose must stay on the floor. You cannot have it go up and over anything to get to the other room. So if you want to go through a wall, you will need to cut out the footer to get the hose down to the floor level. That's why most of us that use this type of system have the controllers in the grow room. The reservoir can be outside the room since the water going through those hoses is pumped. The water between the controller and the site buckets are moved by gravity. Hopefully this is clear, but if not, it will become abundantly clear once you start setting up the system.

Good points, while it's fine that the reservoir is outside the room, it's important that the control buckets are at the same height with direct lines to the plant-site buckets. If sharing a reservoir, you'd definitely want to have separate control buckets in most scenarios (IMO).

All the info posted is great stuff, even though a bit obvious to most that understand hydro and simple physics of water. My concern was how flexible is the supplied parts in the kit. This was adequately answered I believe by Xlr8 and AK1.

I am well read and studied on these systems, but wanted to hear some real world experience and opinion. The only reason I ask is so I can determine if I can adequately use the system in my current grow room config. I have no space large enough unless I tear out a wall, then I loose the individual spaces I have set aside.

I have three chambers within my room, two of them are approx 3.5' x 4.5'. A veg room, a flower room, and a common room for a/c and heat, blah blah. I have decided to expand my space and build another 8'x8' space for the Titan, but this will be in the spring. I was wondering if it is worth getting it before I build, and run a crop through it before spring. Based on the feedback it appears it would be easiest to run 4-6 buckets in one space for now, till the build. Else I would be best served by using two controllers and one res, if I wanted to run both rooms. They do share a simple common partition that is not a standard 2 x 4 wall. In fact I could easily remove it, if I wanted. It was part of the design. Though the idea of losing what I currently have is not a viable option. That's my take on it at this point.

As far as mediums go, I agree hydroton or similar is the best choice for ease. As I said I like to think outside the box and consider all possibilities before hand. Just the way I roll...

I must have misunderstood. Are you saying you want to share the res for a veg room and a flowering room? They need different nutes though.

I don't see any downside to using the system in a small space except maybe cost. If you're planning to use it in a larger space later, then using it now would save you money on an interim system and give you some valuable experience with the new system.

We know veg vs flower is two different feeding schedules, it wouldn't work. I was thinking of re purposing my current space, I can veg in a cabinet if needed. I was only stating what the original build was, it is currently being run as two grow rooms in flower currently. One has my DIY RDWC 6 bucket which works well by the way, and the other is running individual buckets. I want to move on up, but was considering a temp location till the build.

My end game is to have a new 8 x 8 space with the titan and all new systems. Probably run two 1k lights air cooled. All this in addition to my current space. The object is to then have a propagation area so I can get more serious about breeding. I am far to condensed currently.

Well got home from work today and what do you know my Titan flo n grow is sitting on my porch almost a week early!! Setting her up now!! Will I be able to test it without medium in it? No hydroton almost wish I bought some Saturday like I was going to!!

Super exited to get this going! Well off to work!

Wait gotta smoke a bowl first :)

Well got home from work today and what do you know my Titan flo n grow is sitting on my porch almost a week early!! Setting her up now!! Will I be able to test it without medium in it? No hydroton almost wish I bought some Saturday like I was going to!!

Super exited to get this going! Well off to work!

Wait gotta smoke a bowl first :)

Cool - you should be able to test with no medium. Congrats on the new system! :)

I'll be chatting with my shop guy in the near future, said he would cut me a good deal. He was aware of the deals people are getting online. Said he would treat me good and cut me a deal as well on hydroton. We will see...

Curious question..
How is the operating cost? Do you feel you are getting more bang for your buck vs ??

AK1 - Can you answer what your approx. chem/nute usage was in the last grow? number of buckets at the time?
How many times you changed the res and gallons in a refill?

I know this is a large variable with different strains. Just would like your approximation if possible.

Great thread guys!

Yeah got it almost completely set up so no test yet. Just wanted to get new lights hung so I can place the buckets perfectly. Man they said ready to grow in one hour I think it took me one hour to unwrap the thing haha! Getting everything to set up more electric then hang the lights then finish the system and test. I got 12 girls ready to go as soon as its a go.

There won't be an issue transferring my girls in rockwoll in red solo cups right into the hydroton buckets right?

I'll be chatting with my shop guy in the near future, said he would cut me a good deal. He was aware of the deals people are getting online. Said he would treat me good and cut me a deal as well on hydroton. We will see...

Curious question..
How is the operating cost? Do you feel you are getting more bang for your buck vs ??

AK1 - Can you answer what your approx. chem/nute usage was in the last grow? number of buckets at the time?
How many times you changed the res and gallons in a refill?

I know this is a large variable with different strains. Just would like your approximation if possible.

Great thread guys!

It depends on the nute line. I use GH. They offer a calculator that will calculate how much product you will use during the course of a grow. They recommend amounts based on the size of the reservoir and the different growth stages, seed/clone, early veg, etc. You tell it how many weeks each stage lasts, and it tells you the total at the end. To get the cost, you will have to do some math.

Sounds like you're having fun Doc. I bought my Ebb&Gro before I had the room built. I had to sit and stare at mine for weeks before I got to set it up. :)

Yeah got it almost completely set up so no test yet. Just wanted to get new lights hung so I can place the buckets perfectly. Man they said ready to grow in one hour I think it took me one hour to unwrap the thing haha! Getting everything to set up more electric then hang the lights then finish the system and test. I got 12 girls ready to go as soon as its a go.

There won't be an issue transferring my girls in rockwoll in red solo cups right into the hydroton buckets right?

The only downside to rockwool is it stays pretty wet. If any of the rockwool can be removed without disturbing the roots, I would get rid of it. The problem is, rockwool only needs to be watered once a day at most usually. The rock needs to be flooded several times a day. I only had tiny little rockwool cubes, so perhaps my idea won't work for you, but I transplanted my plants so that the bottom of the rockwool was just barely touching the water during flood. This allowed it to stay wet at the begining. In the CAP system, there is about 1" of water that sits in the bottom of the buckets. I don't like this, so I put a 2x4 under the buckets to raise them. This eliminates the standing water and raises the rockwool out of the water.

In reality, you will probably be fine. I used to put the large rockwool cubes into trays with rock and never had an issue, but YMMV.

Oh yeah loads of fun haha! I think it was easier to set up the initial room:electric than setting up new stuff while your old stuffs still going lol.

Question on the aside, the controller says 10 Amps does it use all 10? Will I be safe having my 400 watt ballast for veg room and controller on the same 20 amp circuit? I believe the ballast draws around 4 amps an I have a fan and a heater as well. Should I look to run another line for the ballast or controller?

Edit: just saw your post hiker thanks for the info. I might be able to get some of the rockwoll out but not sure. Last I checked they were becoming rootbound. Worst case I can just throw them on the other side and start from scratch with just hydroton.

Oh yeah loads of fun haha! I think it was easier to set up the initial room:electric than setting up new stuff while your old stuffs still going lol.

Question on the aside, the controller says 10 Amps does it use all 10? Will I be safe having my 400 watt ballast for veg room and controller on the same 20 amp circuit? I believe the ballast draws around 4 amps an I have a fan and a heater as well. Should I look to run another line for the ballast or controller?

Edit: just saw your post hiker thanks for the info. I might be able to get some of the rockwoll out but not sure. Last I checked they were becoming rootbound. Worst case I can just throw them on the other side and start from scratch with just hydroton.

You have a 400W light, some fans, and this system on a 20A circuit? You're fine.

Forget I mentioned the rockwool at all then. Like I said, I never had a problem, but I've heard others claim to have an issue with it. :)

I just don't want any in my buckets, so for my next crop, I'm building an aerocloner. This way I can have bare roots to put into the buckets. I still have to figure out how to veg them for a few weeks, but I might do some small net pots in a flood tray (like Jon705). I think I'll have to veg the second batch in the flowering room again though. I don't have the resources (time and $) to get that setup for the next crop.

I have been cloning in RW for some time. It can work anywhere. I only suggest you let it root to the point they are well outside the cube. Cover it with enough media to keep it from turning green on top or a pot cover will help also. I wouldn't risk damaging the root system for it. I have placed 4" cubes with no issue in a 6" net pot. Just back fill with your media. A hydro cloning process can be a bit cleaner. JMHO

Yeah idk how I'm gonna veg haven't even thought about that. Might just have to cut down on harvests per year and run the veg cycle in the flo n gro as well.

Yeah idk how I'm gonna veg haven't even thought about that. Might just have to cut down on harvests per year and run the veg cycle in the flo n gro as well.

I'm pretty sure I will end up doing a flood tray with net pots. Those will go into the buckets very easily.

You said Jon7xx (forgot numbers) has a veg setup like that? Ill have to check it out and borrow some ideas possibly! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom