Township Considers Licensing Medical Marijuana Users

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Holland, MI - In a move to keep tabs on medical marijuana in Holland Township, a proposed ordinance mostly would mirror state law except in one significant way.

The township ordinance might also seek to require a business license for all patients and caregivers.

"This is the discussion stages, and I don't want to cut my planning commission out of this, that's for sure," Zoning Administrator Jon Mersman said. The commission plans to discuss the measure at its next meeting, at 7 p.m. Nov. 9.

Patients and caregivers already are required to register with the state, and proposed township regulations are similar to those already in place under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act ( sic ), such as requiring marijuana growers to be more than 1,000 feet from schools.

As far as the business license registration, medical marijuana advocates aren't happy at the prospect.

"By the law, people can get into those records. ... So how are they going to protect these patients?" asked Amy Gasaway, a medical marijuana patient living in Park Township and a medical marijuana advocate for West Michigan.

"That is just enticing someone to come to ( a patient or caregiver's ) house. That poor patient or caregiver is going to be a statistic in the community, whether it be a robbery or whatever."

She further contends the proposed ordinance would violate her rights under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, which protects patients' private information.

Mersman concedes there is a question of privacy.

"Until my lawyers tell me different, that's kind of where I'm going," he said. "We would like to know where pot is grown in a neighborhood."

For instance, he said, the listing could help authorities determine if a marijuana growing operation is legitimate. Mersman is investigating the possibility of restricting public access to the names of people who take out business licenses under this new regulation.

The license would require a fee based on how much time the township would have to invest. For instance, will the ordinance require home inspections to ensure marijuana growing operations are properly locked away?

That fee likely would be $150 or more.

Patients who grow marijuana for themselves and caregivers would have to reside at the location where the marijuana is grown. Thousands have signed up with the state program since it was voted into law in 2008.

[sidebar]

IF YOU GO

What: Holland Township Planning Commission will host a public hearing will allow for comment on a proposed medical marijuana ordinance that would require patients and caregivers to obtain business licenses.

When: 7 p.m. Nov. 9

Where: Holland Township Hall, 353 N. 120th Ave.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Holland Sentinel (MI)
Copyright: 2010 GateHouse Media, Inc.
Contact: The Holland Sentinel - Holland, MI - The Holland Sentinel
Details: MapInc
Author: Andrea Goodell, The Holland Sentinel

Back
Top Bottom