Transplanting during flowering.

wood2662

I started a plant from seed, outside in a 1 1/2 gallon plastic pot in the begining of june. The plant has grow well, and about 3 weeks ago started to flower. Today, i was poking aroung the dirt a bit and noticed it to be dence with roots. I lifted up the pot, in the pot (lol) and noticed roots coming out of the holes in the bottom. Fearing stress on the girl, I was realy afraid to repot her, and disturbing her roots. Being a first time grower, common sence told me that it was probly not good to repot after flowering. But, what good is a root bound plant? So I took a second to think, and another one to smoke, and repoted her in the safest manner that I could come up with. And here it is. Firts I took a 4 gallon pot and added dirt to the bottom. I set my girl in her pot, into the larger pot to determine the depth of dirt that I was going to need. After getting the proper amount of dirt into the new pot, I carefully cut the bottom of the old pot off, then made a cut all of the way down one side, and cut all but one inch of the top of the other side of her pot. Note, that I use razor knifes every day for a living and I did not cut into the soil or roots. I then lifted her in her pot, leaving the cut away bottom where it sat. I carefully lifted her into her new home and centered her. Then I filled the larger pot with soil to the top of the now cut older pot. I then finished the one inch cut that I left on one side, and easily lifted the two side out of the soil, leaving her snug in the fancy new spacious lake view condo. I have to say that I am realy suprised about how little I disrupted any roots at all. I gave her a good drink and will let you know in the coming days, how she is doing. Thank you. Thats to everyone in this forum. I,ve learned alot here, and realy appreciate how beautiful, and hardy a healthy marijuana plant is. And the fruits of my labor isn't so bad either. LOL.
DSC013314.JPG
DSC013302.JPG
DSC013342.JPG
DSC013351.JPG

Re: Transeplanting during flowering.

Nicely done.

Since you are not actually breaking up the root ball at all, it shouldn't have any adverse effects. It should even do a little better since now it isn't root bound. But, since I haven't yet had to deal with a pot bound plant, I could be wrong.

I have just started trying to raise clones. Once they are ready to come out of the red drinking cups, they are going into 7 gal pots, to live out thier lives. That way, no transplant and no shock.

Good idea Mutt, my next one will definately start in a 5plus gallon pot. Let me know how the clones work out for ya. I may go that route next time.

Back
Top Bottom