Trimming the Fan Leaves

linuxgizmo

should i be trimming off all the fan leaves when i start budding, ive been cutting down the biggest of them but i dont want to kill them all off if i should keep a few for photosynthesis...

Ummmm..........i could be wrong but, i dont think you are supposed to take off fan leaves at all unless they die and fall off. Yes!!! they are for photosynthesis, this is how your plant takes in the light....with fan leaves. Just my 2 cents.

I am having the same conflict myself at this point. An associate of mine has told me to cut off the largest center fan leaves systematically (over time) thus giving the bottom growth more light as well as discouraging the plant from growing taller and making a bushier plant instead. He says it will concentrate more on budding this way, because it will transfer to a state in which it no longer wants to grow taller but wants to finish the life cycle of the plant i.e. budding. Sounds like it will work to me.

But, as we all know the major fan leaves are the largest solar panels on the plant. If too many are cut off then obviously the plant will die. Also, the other growth will need to grow to make up for the missing fan leaves. So is this technique really making the plant concentrate less of leaf growth and more on bud growth if the plant needs to grow the undergrowth larger to make up? And cutting off major leaves seems like something I should have been doing in veg, not during flowering.

I have also seen very nice plants on here with armless upper five finger fan leaves, implying that the leaves had grown along with the buds, and the originals with the arms had been trimmed away long before. hmmmmmm.

Also, I always trim plant grown from seed up to the thrid node. Trim off all one and three finger leaves and all growth associated with them over time, not all at once. Then later I usually take of the third node, or first five finger leaves, and the growth associated with them. The parts of the plant at the bottom recieve the least light and by this act you are allowing the plants to transfer their energy elewhere rather than growing whats referred to as "sucker growth".

Back
Top Bottom