Trim fan leaves at harvest

Broke Stove

And now for my 25th post... Should I trim my large fan leaves right at harvest time before I hang the plants or should I let them alone untill it is time to trim? I am looking for your opinion, and a reason. Thank You.

Re: Trim fan leaves at harvest???

And now for my 25th post... Should I trim my large fan leaves right at harvest time before I hang the plants or should I let them alone untill it is time to trim? I am looking for your opinion, and a reason. Thank You.

25 posts today BS? Do you have any time for growin?...LOL....Dealing with leaves after they're dry is a pain in the ass. trimm what you can before drying. you want to deal with dry buds the least as possible so it's no the time to be trimming.

Naw bro, 25 posts total. this marks 26. I was causing a fuss when I first signed up because we had to have 25 before we could message others. since that time, I have had time to sit and cruize around the site abit, and found the answers to alot of questions in other members posts. Thank you for the advice. In Ed Rosethal's books, he says to leave the fan leaves for the entire cure untill ready to trim. something about converting starches into sugars for a smoother smoke......... So far, Ed is the only one I have read say that, so I just wanted to check around.... Anyone else have any input??? Thanks everyone, Broke Stove.

Naw bro, 25 posts total. this marks 26. I was causing a fuss when I first signed up because we had to have 25 before we could message others. since that time, I have had time to sit and cruize around the site abit, and found the answers to alot of questions in other members posts. Thank you for the advice. In Ed Rosethal's books, he says to leave the fan leaves for the entire cure untill ready to trim. something about converting starches into sugars for a smoother smoke......... So far, Ed is the only one I have read say that, so I just wanted to check around.... Anyone else have any input??? Thanks everyone, Broke Stove.

allot of people will tell you to trim one dried, and you will lesson just like i did, and you will learn ur lesson just like i did. it was a pain in the ass. they shervial all up now it takes 3x as long to trim, then you knock off all kinds of resin glades because the buds are dry. i will never do it that way again.

Not everyone agrees with alot of what ED says. From a practical point, it's a pain in the ass and does nothing for your bud.

cut the leaves immediately. trust me. and let buds hang in dark closet for atleast 5 days if they are decent thick buds. then start cure process

I chop and trim all of the leaves that i can. I than hang my plants upside down to dry to the touch. I place cut the bud of the stems and place in jars to cure. I burp the jars 2-3 times a day for two weeks than i cut back to burping the jars to 1-2 times a day until done. Good luck

Hmm, I have a theory about those leaves, I trim a lot of them as the plant grows, that way I am getting more light to the inner laterals. I don't pick them bare or anything like that... I take away the leaves that block light to the smaller buds, I have had no problemo doing as I have. Not sure it's correct by others standards but, seems to work for me!

hello. I've been a 'regular' gardener for 40 years, and after my plants and the buds are semi-mature, I start deadheading some of the orig leaves by removing as you do, to let sun into the middle of the mishmash of trees! It helps to keep the air flow moving gently between the trees or bushes also.

WoW,
get them off soonest! I got lazy, tired, pick one one you like best.
and did not do all teh leaves up front. big mistake. the semi dried leaves are a major pain in all ways to trim, to cleanup. they lay closer to teh bud , so harder to get at.
don't DELAY , trim today.:)
Slag

Last night I hung up my first plant and tried to take off the leaves first. Do you take off ALL of the little leaves coming out of the bud??? I did it on most of the buds but it's hard to get all of them. I have 2 more plants that will be ready in a few more days so I want to find out if I did the right thing and if I need to take out all the little leaves. Hard to get to them.

Yeah,
your on right path.
get some sissors , lightly oil baldes with olive oil.
throw fam leaves out, the lil leaves on buds are called Sweet trim, keep these & make cannabutter with them.
just trim all around the bud kinda close, hang em up in Dark need to stir the air up GENTLY, for even drying.
get a Cigar Humidemeter,(I like Caliber III Digital Hygrometer )
when the room gets to 75 % to 80% . put in mason jars to cure. burp jars 2-3 x a day for 10- 20 minutes. when the Humidity is in lo 60%'s, stop burping. will store a long time . if it gets below 55% , it dries out a bit much.
in 2-3 weeks jar time the bud will have grown Stronger, sweeter , smell & taste wise . NOTe: taste assumes you clear water flushed a week or so prior to harvest. this allows the varied chemicals ie.. nutes to be transpired outta the plants tissues. it will be WORTH it!
Luck,
Slag

I too keep the fan leaves in check through out the grow and always trim them right after i cut a branch off. Within 10 hours the fan leaves turn to rubber and kind of just flop around.....weird...I would rather trim when the leaves are firm. I'm up here in the Great Nothwet(West) and always have to worry about mold.Removing the fan leaves helps them "breath" as to combat mold...Good luck and Happy Hemping,Red

I grow outdoors and when harvest time comes, trimming 20+ lbs at the perfect moment that each bud is ripe is not an option. I tried, and you get behind schedule quickly, losing potency and weight.

Cut it all down and trim off the big leaves for sure. Any brown stuff should come off. You can clean up the remainder after initial drying if you cannot make the time to do an immaculate job the first time around. Some of the sugar trim will break off during curing in jars anyways.

I try to keep the buds on the largest branches possible. There is sap, essential oils, and probably potency inside the wood too- so keeping the whole thing in one big piece can allow you to slow dry and extract that extra stuff into the buds as the carcass resperates during hanging. If you had left the big leaves on the plant, they too would be pulling the lifeblood of the wood into them (you don't want that).

Curing a big, moist bud can be cured to sausage curing. You don't want it to be too fast or too slow so that the you pull the good stuff to the surface where it creates flavor. You don't want it too hot or too cold so that fungus is kept in check and humidity is at optimum levels.

I cave cure my harvests. Technically, it is a root cellar. The regular, even temp and humidity is created passively and it is perfect for drying and storage. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to be ready, but makes a huge difference in the quality of the finished product. Even buds that were rotting and then get cleaned up don't seem to have a problem in the cellar. For small grows, you can just dig a nice hole with straight sides and cover the top with plywood+ a foot of straw or hay.

That is my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom