U.K. - No Getting Stoned In New Bible

Hash

For centuries scholars have argued over the most delicate nuances of biblical texts, passionately debating whether key words should be tweaked to reflect cultural changes.

But, despite the fervent exchange of such learned views, there has been no fretting about whether the Bible endorses dope-smoking. Until now.

A 15-strong panel of eminent theologians and linguists was so concerned that young people reading the Bible today are confusing the phrase 'stoned' not with Old Testament executions but with drugs, that it has suggested a radical clarification to a forthcoming edition of the sacred text.

In an attempt to clear up any confusion on the part of Britain's youth, Today's New International Version Bible, published by Hodder & Stoughton on Tuesday, updates the original edition, published 27 years ago, so that people are 'stoned to death', rather than 'stoned'.

'We wanted to keep it from being confused with drug addiction,' Professor Ronald Youngblood, who chaired the panel, told the Church Times newspaper.

The clarification is an effort by the panel to modernise its earlier edition of the Bible, which became the most popular English language version in the world.

Scholars may sense political correctness in the changes. Out goes terminology such as 'he', 'man' and 'men', replaced by 'person' or 'people'. In comes an attempt to dispel anti-Semitic interpretations of the New Testament. John 5:16 now reads 'Jewish leaders', rather than Jews, 'began to persecute Jesus'.

The panel said that the changes were being made to 'increase understanding' rather than make the Bible more contemporaneous.

'There is a need to reach today's generation with language they can understand and relate to,' the panel states on the TNIV website.

Overall, around seven per cent of the original New International Version Bible has been altered in a bid to bring clarity to a new generation of readers. Some of the changes appear trivial. For example, Matthew's use of the word 'tunic' becomes 'shirt' and his phrase 'with child' becomes 'pregnant'. However, some changes are more profound. Use of the word 'Christ', which was popular with Greek-speaking churches, has been replaced by the Hebrew title 'Messiah'.

Source: Observer, The (UK)
Copyright: 2005 The Observer

i believe the more men change the words, the farther away we fall.....i can see it from thier point of view also..

i believe that the whole bible thing is overrated. it was a fictional text made up to keep the people in check almost like a anchent form of comunisom. dont get me wrong there is a god out there but to think that all that shit hapened that you read in theologey, bibles and other forms of the so called word. is bull shit and also putting to much faith in the human kind we are liarers by nature anything we say or do is to keep our little ones out of harms way.

Actually, what they fixed was stupid. They changed 'stoned' to 'stoned to death' because they think kids will confuse 'stoned' with getting high, or "drug addiction" as they like to call it.
Folks, this is what Da Ali G Show is all about, he is suppose to be representing the youth and society's disconnection with it.

Re-fucking-diculous.

bible says a lot of things...

Im a catholic, and I think that is bull shit. :hmmmm:

only in england....... :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom