Unknow Bug - Asking for help identifying

TanR

Hi all,

I've seen a few of the bugs captured in the photo below around my plants from time to time and need to ask your help in identifying it. The bug is between 1/8th inch and maybe ¼" long. I think the MH light distorts the coloration, but they are grayish brown with darker gray to almost blackish splotches on their backs. They have a hard set of outer wings almost like a shell and then a set of almost translucent wings underneath those. The shell formed by the outer wings is really tough, to the point that if you squash one you have to double check that you've actually killed it.

They are really slow moving and pretty clumsy. I've seen a couple that literally fell onto a plant or into the soil after banging into the light. Grow room is in the basement and I did occasionally see a few of these bugs in that location prior to setting up down there. Again, I've only seen a few and believe I removed them pretty quickly after they landed. However, I don't want to leave a potential future problem untreated if this bug indeed represents a future problem. I have not detected any damage from the bug(s).

Thanks in advance!

Unknown_Bug_Photo.jpg

My guess is you are in the south where Asian beetles (kudzu bug, Brown lady bugs) are slowly taking over They look like lady bugs but they are not red they are more brown with black spots.. they are said to eat Kudzu but I've seen them on the news where a homeowner said they were eating his vinyl siding. they are easy to kill but nearly impossible to get rid of completely. Researchers are studying new ways to eradicate them.

Thanks Hydro!
I beleive you have nailed the identity of this little creature. Certainly got the location correct. I haven't noticed any foul oder with the few that I've squashed as is suggested in the reading, but perhaps I got lucky with that!

Your help is truly apprecaited.

Back
Top Bottom