Upcoming grow box, need your input.

Carboneer

Hey everyone I've been reading around these forums for a while now and I have decided it was time to step up and finally start thinking about building a grow box. It will go in my closet, and the dimensions will be roughly 18" deep, 24" wide, and 48-54" high. I am going to build this out of MDF, which I know is heavy, but there will be wheels built in so that's not really an issue for me.

Alright, first off I will give you guys a run-down of what I already had in mind.

The inside of the box will be lined with Mylar. There will be an intake hole at the bottom, on the side (lets say the right side to help you visualize it), and an exhaust fan on the very top of the box (also on the right side). I want this box to be stealth (in looks, and also in smell prevention), so I will make a Carbon Scrubber to attach to the exhaust fan. I will most likely be using CFL lights because the small size of my box means that I have to be careful about the temps. For these I will make a light fixture (either buy one or make a reflector myself) and hang it with chains from the ceiling of the box, so I can adjust the height as my plants grow.

I will only be growing one plant in there, which is OK because it's mostly for personal use. What I am going to do is build my own DWC "Bubbler" Bucket, and grow my plant with a SCROG technique.

----- Now, on to my questions, and this is where I need the help of the experts on these boards!!!

Q1: How much space (in inches or CM) should I allow between the top of the DWC bucket and the SCROG screen? The screen will not be permanently fixed, so I can lower the light all the way to the plant when it is just starting off, but I will build some sort of screen support at a preset height so when it is time to put in the screen it will be very easy. How much space should I allow my plant to grow in height before training it under the screen?

Q2: The DWC buckets I have looked at on the internet are mostly 5 gallon buckets, which measure 15 inches in height I think. Since my grow box is going to be pretty small, 15 inches is significant. How tall would an average Indica grow to if Scrogged properly? Also, can I make a DWC system with a smaller size bucket? An option I was thinking about would be to have a bucket with more surface area (like a square pan which is wider and longer than a 5 gallon bucket), but shorter in height, so as to give my plant more room to grow. What is the minimum nutrient level that I should have in my container?

Q3: Ok, this is the thing that concerns me the most. I want my set up to be as smell-proof as possible. I read on these forums that a passive intake/active exhaust was the best way to achieve this. What confuses me is that most of the pictures I have seen have active intakes.... so, what is your personal take on the whole passive/active debate? Which is better for air circulation, and which is better for smell prevention? Also, I have heard ppl saying that I need a smaller intake than exhaust, while others say just the opposite.... who is right?

Alright I'm sorry this post is so long, but after weeks of dreaming about my grow box I need to set some things straight for myself. For all you answers I thank you in advance, and I promise you the best Grow Box Construction thread, and the best Grow Journal, you have EVER seen on this site! (if thats possible lol).

I will finalize my plans when I know exactly what to include in my box, so I am looking forward to your input! Construction will most likely start in a few weeks, and I am aiming to start my first ever grow some time in late May/early June. I will also use this same thread if I have any other questions about my plans, and once construction starts, a "Box Construction Thread" will be started and will include tons of pictures, blueprints, and step-by-step instructions for others to enjoy. This box will be as stealth as possible, and all I want to have as a final product is a box on wheels, with the only visible things being and intake, exhaust (and these will be covered by those plastic deflectors things so as to make it even stealthier), and ONE extension cord running out of the box. No mess, no wires, just the cleanest grow box you'll have ever seen.

Alright, I have to end this now or else no one is going to read this ahaha, thanks in advance to all those who read this and contribute to what I hope will be the finest project I have ever done.:cool::thanks:

Sir, if you're useing DWC like me, you run a noisy little aquarium pump. Your exhaust fan is noisy and that ain't stealth. If you can muffle that, then you can find a rectangle plastic pan as big as your box and 8 or 9 inches deep. Make a floating top to fit inside from 1" styrofoam ins board. Get a 3.5" netpot and cut a nice hole in the middle to fit. That's where some hydroton and rooted clone or brand new start in a starter RW cube go for life. Floating in bubble water. Your pan should hold at least several gals. Bore a smaller hole for TDS probe and sampler syringe for pH color drops. Fancy meter later if you gotta have it. One light. 150HPS remote ballast. More lumens than six 25w cfl. Prolly less heat in the box- cfls have ballast in the base. HPS are good for every stage of growth. My cab is 22x30x70 and get gratifying results with a 250HPS. If you can deal with the heat, go with one of these.

Sir, if you're useing DWC like me, you run a noisy little aquarium pump. Your exhaust fan is noisy and that ain't stealth. If you can muffle that, then you can find a rectangle plastic pan as big as your box and 8 or 9 inches deep. Make a floating top to fit inside from 1" styrofoam ins board. Get a 3.5" netpot and cut a nice hole in the middle to fit. That's where some hydroton and rooted clone or brand new start in a starter RW cube go for life. Floating in bubble water. Your pan should hold at least several gals. Bore a smaller hole for TDS probe and sampler syringe for pH color drops. Fancy meter later if you gotta have it. One light. 150HPS remote ballast. More lumens than six 25w cfl. Prolly less heat in the box- cfls have ballast in the base. HPS are good for every stage of growth. My cab is 22x30x70 and get gratifying results with a 250HPS. If you can deal with the heat, go with one of these.

Thanks for your answer Gator... just wanted to ask you how much noise are we talking about here for both the pump and the fan? My box would be 1 inch thick MDF, and I heard that took care of SOME noise... what would you compare the noise to if you're standing a couple of feet away... an electric shaver? (which is pretty loud). A lawnmower LOL?

If you read this let me know, I would really like having an idea of what I should expect.

Oh and also by reading your post I'm kind of confused, are you saying I can make DWC bucket with NO pump?

Thanks man.

Know somebody with a small aquarium, 60hz hum and bubbling. Quiet but there. Your fan must move air, the more the noisier. You'll have to push or pull it though scrubber so there is noise there. See the fan inside bloom boxes. Buy one like that on eBay or wherever and energize. Might be a deal breaker or you might be deaf and have no problem. That kind of fan is a basic tool for a cab grow, so get one.

Hey everyone I've been reading around these forums for a while now and I have decided it was time to step up and finally start thinking about building a grow box. It will go in my closet, and the dimensions will be roughly 18" deep, 24" wide, and 48-54" high. I am going to build this out of MDF, which I know is heavy, but there will be wheels built in so that's not really an issue for me.

Alright, first off I will give you guys a run-down of what I already had in mind.

The inside of the box will be lined with Mylar. There will be an intake hole at the bottom, on the side (lets say the right side to help you visualize it), and an exhaust fan on the very top of the box (also on the right side). I want this box to be stealth (in looks, and also in smell prevention), so I will make a Carbon Scrubber to attach to the exhaust fan. I will most likely be using CFL lights because the small size of my box means that I have to be careful about the temps. For these I will make a light fixture (either buy one or make a reflector myself) and hang it with chains from the ceiling of the box, so I can adjust the height as my plants grow.

I will only be growing one plant in there, which is OK because it's mostly for personal use. What I am going to do is build my own DWC "Bubbler" Bucket, and grow my plant with a SCROG technique.

----- Now, on to my questions, and this is where I need the help of the experts on these boards!!!

Q1: How much space (in inches or CM) should I allow between the top of the DWC bucket and the SCROG screen? The screen will not be permanently fixed, so I can lower the light all the way to the plant when it is just starting off, but I will build some sort of screen support at a preset height so when it is time to put in the screen it will be very easy. How much space should I allow my plant to grow in height before training it under the screen?

Q2: The DWC buckets I have looked at on the internet are mostly 5 gallon buckets, which measure 15 inches in height I think. Since my grow box is going to be pretty small, 15 inches is significant. How tall would an average Indica grow to if Scrogged properly? Also, can I make a DWC system with a smaller size bucket? An option I was thinking about would be to have a bucket with more surface area (like a square pan which is wider and longer than a 5 gallon bucket), but shorter in height, so as to give my plant more room to grow. What is the minimum nutrient level that I should have in my container?

Q3: Ok, this is the thing that concerns me the most. I want my set up to be as smell-proof as possible. I read on these forums that a passive intake/active exhaust was the best way to achieve this. What confuses me is that most of the pictures I have seen have active intakes.... so, what is your personal take on the whole passive/active debate? Which is better for air circulation, and which is better for smell prevention? Also, I have heard ppl saying that I need a smaller intake than exhaust, while others say just the opposite.... who is right?

Alright I'm sorry this post is so long, but after weeks of dreaming about my grow box I need to set some things straight for myself. For all you answers I thank you in advance, and I promise you the best Grow Box Construction thread, and the best Grow Journal, you have EVER seen on this site! (if thats possible lol).

I will finalize my plans when I know exactly what to include in my box, so I am looking forward to your input! Construction will most likely start in a few weeks, and I am aiming to start my first ever grow some time in late May/early June. I will also use this same thread if I have any other questions about my plans, and once construction starts, a "Box Construction Thread" will be started and will include tons of pictures, blueprints, and step-by-step instructions for others to enjoy. This box will be as stealth as possible, and all I want to have as a final product is a box on wheels, with the only visible things being and intake, exhaust (and these will be covered by those plastic deflectors things so as to make it even stealthier), and ONE extension cord running out of the box. No mess, no wires, just the cleanest grow box you'll have ever seen.

Alright, I have to end this now or else no one is going to read this ahaha, thanks in advance to all those who read this and contribute to what I hope will be the finest project I have ever done.:cool::thanks:

Good luck with your project. I'll be following closely.

carbonner you and i have almost the exact idea of boxes. mine is 4'x4'x5' and another foot taller for the hps lamp in its own chamber with glass between the chambers. i got most of my idea of the construction from a guy on here called strat. if you havent read his building yet you really need to take a look.

i am sill debating on my ventilation system. im thinking a combination of computer fans (mainly for hps chamber) and 8 inch fans. my idea is to use a 600 watt hps with external ballast and use 42 watt cfls hanging over each plant on chains like you. then when my canopy get gets really full i will take 2 of the cfls and put them under the canopy to have light down there too.

if anyone would like to give me advice i would love to use it. im kind of concerned with the cfls. if they will be too much light and cause burning or too little light and cause weak stems. i want this thing built so well that it can be a factory and i will know exactly what to do at exactly the right time.

Back
Top Bottom