Upgrading lighting

So, the time has come to upgrade from my florescents! It's a very exciting day.

I'm not sure which route I want to go.. I was set on a 600W MH/HPS system, but am having possible second thoughts.

My grow box is around 4'x3' (12sqft).

I am planning on transitioning from soil growing to a small aero setup (possibly scrog down the road). The aero design I threw together is about 4' long, and has a total of 6 sites on 2 pipes (pretty much the same design as 420fied's aero garden).

Would I maybe be better off getting 2 250w systems to provide better light placement, or would one 600W be sufficient?

Also, would one 400W be good enough for this area? I have a feeling if i go with a 400W system, I will kick myself later on because I will want more light. From what I've been seeing, a 400W is good for about a 4x4 space, which is bigger than what I currently have. I'm more concerned about light availability within the box more than anything, I want a fairly even distribution from one light (2 if i go the 250W route).

Any pros on using 2 250W instead of 1 600W?

I plan on picking up the light tonight or tomorrow.

All comments and experience welcome!

:cheer:

Another thing I'm still on the fence with is if I want to go magnetic or digital.

I'm leaning towards digital for longer bulb life and more efficiency, but I've also read that digital ballasts tend to die faster than magnetic ones in most cases.

Anyone have some experience in this area too?

My vote, 600 watt digital. A 400 would work but the cost difference is minimal and you will have 200 more watts. Two 250's will likely cost more, additional clutter in your grow space, two bulbs to deal with, double the potential problems. The 600 watts setups are the most efficient in terms of lumens/watt.

I agree with the 600, more cost efficient and greater light intensity which means bigger buds and higher yields. The 250 will probaly cover more area, and the 400 will cut it, but the 600 will have you grow area covered the best. Also, the 400 and 250 wont penetrate your canopy like the 600 will be able to reaching the lower buds as well.

good thoughts on that. That's pretty much why I have been set on the 600. I found a sick deal on a 600W HPS/MH digital system for less than $200, so I think I'm gonna go with that. It doesn't have an air cooled hood, but I honestly have more problems with my temps being too low, so this will only help warm things up.

Super excited about this.. I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it though, as the store closes early tonight and I don't think I'll make it there in time. My 9 seedlings are going to love their new light!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Back
Top Bottom