UV lights. What will adding one do?

emeraldgemini

I recently found a 2foot uv light in storage and was wondering what it would do if added to my room? I am currently in Veg. over one 4x4 I have 2- 600w HPS. Over the other an 8 bulb t-5 panel and 4- 6500K t-8's

would it be better for veg?
flower?
would it do anything at all?
if so what?

thanks!!

Might help add crystal content to your buds, especially if you're growing high-altitude sativa strains.

Of course, it depends on the type of UV radiation the light puts out and how much. Seems like I saw a journal last year where the person ran a small "reptile light" UV bulb for a couple hours in the middle of the lights-on cycle without harming the plants, but I got the impression that too much or for too long a period of time (such as running it the entire lights-on time) would be detrimental.

I honestly can't remember the particulars. Might try doing a search with the word reptile as a search term (since UV is only two letters and might not work) and setting it to only search the completed journals section to concentrate on journals that may have used UV lighting.

First, the cost of all of those lights is about half of the cost of a blackstar. Secondly, the blackstar and HTG have not come close to the production of other LED companies that are sponsors here on this site. Lastly, he gets a much better spectral blend for a much lower cost up front. Along with better production.

As for the topic at hand, there is not a great deal of academic research on the matter and none that include our beloved plant. There are studies that prove UV: B light helps produce resins and oils released as a defense mechanic, but again not with this plant as the test subject. There have been some non-scientific grows from people here and elsewhere that agree with those other studies. Likewise there are studies that show growth problems and deformations when UV: B is added or not filtered.

someone replied asking about the cost of my lights, but I dont see it here, just in my email.

My two 600w HPS lights were free, a friend of mine had a grow room but then lost his house and the equipment was in storage so he is letting me use whatever I need.

The 8 light t-5 panel was $50 off of craigs list.

The two, 2 bulb t-8 fixtures were sitting around waiting for another project for the last 2 years. I just had to buy the four 6500k blulbs, about $10 at home depot.

So all these lights were about $60!!!

cant beat that!!

Back
Top Bottom