Adding UV To A Grow

edit : if you are running a decent led from a good mfgr supplemental UV is totally unnecessary and may even be detrimental depending on the amount of exposure.
That's probably a matter of opinion. This thread specified adding additional or supplemental UVA/UVB. Lets go with it! :thumb:

That's probably a matter of opinion. This thread specified adding additional UVA/UVB. Lets go with it!

i am too. if your rig doesn't carry enough uv as it is then it's crap. all led emitters produce some regardless of k. supplemental should not be necessary unless kool-aid drinker etc.

i am too. if your rig doesn't carry enough uv as it is then it's crap. all led emitters produce some regardless of k. supplemental should not be necessary unless kool-aid drinker etc.
Thank you for your input. :cool:

Just testing the waters so to speak. My thread dude. :)

Thank you for your input. :cool:

Just testing the waters so to speak. My thread dude. :)

if it's the trichome response you are seeking look to deep red and even limited ir over uv.

most modern rigs currently carry enough uv that it is advisable to wear protective eyewear when working under them already. more than enough for the plants.

wear your glasses guys / gals :cool:

I appreciate all the feedback.
My sincere apologies Bluter. I ask for feedback and get a hair up my ass when I get it. Have a great day.

Hello, Happy Sunday!

My apologies for any distractions. While it might not be necessary to run supplemental UV / UVB with LED lights, there just might be a benefit?

Its been 1 week since the introduction of the 2 30w, LED - UVA/UVB bars. The unintentional extra hours at the beginning might have burnt the tallest bud tips a bit. The time is now at 40 minutes of UV per 12 hour light cycle. Tomorrow, Monday the time will be extended again to 60 minutes.
Pictures are for reference. These got tall for a short veg. There is some early frost now. Not sure how to tell what is or will be naturally occurring or extra frost from the UV? I guess we will just see.
Hi bluter, sorry if I offended you in any way, that was not my intention. This thread was always about seeing what happens when adding supplemental, Extra UV to a grow. Have a nice day. :)

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

I ordered some Panama X Bangi Haze seeds from @Herbies Seeds and I kept waiting for the P.O. to redelivere them because I had to sign n missed the delivery. I went to the P.O. and got the envelope but it was open with a letter from U.S.D.A. saying they destroyed my seeds because Herbies didn’t include a form. Smh CL🍀

Did you get the stealth shipping option?

Not sure how to tell what is or will be naturally occurring or extra frost from the UV?

Two clones from the same mother, as near in size/development as possible, in separate setups that are identical except for the UV supplementation. Actually, you'd want several clones in each space, to help ensure that some kind of unrelated issue with one plant didn't pooch the experiment. EDIT: Also, lab analysis of samples from each of the two grows, I suppose.

That's why more experiments aren't done, I suppose... It gets expensive, especially if the person buys two new sets of lights (even LEDs do tend to degrade over time).

Hello, Happy Sunday!

Its been 1 week since the introduction of the 2 30w, LED - UVA/UVB bars. The unintentional extra hours at the beginning might have burnt the tallest bud tips a bit. The time is now at 40 minutes of UV per 12 hour light cycle. Tomorrow, Monday the time will be extended again to 60 minutes.

limited timed exposure would be best.

UV exposure is used to create a stress reaction in the plant like any other stressor. the idea is the stress induces trichome production when introduced to the plant during bud growth.

when timed well in flower it can have an effect. like many other stressors it does work to an extent. it can however be detrimental, promoting light related issues like bleaching and led burn. high UV exposure in veg can stunt plants and lead to twisted leaves and problems often mistaken for genetic issues.

i'm not against UV as a supplement, but i do avoid adding more for those reasons.

white light led emitters all carry a small amount of UV. normally this would be considered sufficient. it is advisable to wear UV blocking glasses when working under most grow lighting already, without the addition of extra. adding it above the level of natural outdoor exposure, increases negative risk to both the grower and plants.

a similar effect to added UV can be had with the addition of far red and even limited ir during flower, if timed well at the beginnings /end of the day cycle. it simply mimics what occurs naturally. it's related to the emerson effect, and UV may actually play a small part in it.

i hope the experiment goes well and has the desired effect.

It gets expensive, especially if the person buys two new sets of lights (even LEDs do tend to degrade over time).

couple UV bars shouldn't be that expensive. it doesn't take much. even rigs that include UV and IR don't have many emitters dedicated to either.

couple UV bars shouldn't be that expensive. it doesn't take much. even rigs that include UV and IR don't have many emitters dedicated to either.

It's the "plus everything else to set up two identical grows" part that adds up.

Bluter, the newer supplemental UV bars are being made by top LED grow light manufacturers. My experience was I could not find much info, but enough to intrigue me to want to try a grow with and see what I thought of and what I could make work for me. I say this not to recruit you but explain how I got here.
2, 30w supplemental LED, UVA/UVB bars were offered to me to try. Here are the rough specs without the brand name. I have high hopes. ---

KEY SPECIFICATIONS​

UV-B (280-315 nm): 100 mW
UV-A (315-400 nm): 1200 mW
INPUT VOLTAGE: 20-240 V AC, 50-60 HZ
DRIVER: 30 W, 220-240 V AC, integrated
INPUT POWER: 30 W (±5%)
FOOTPRINT: 1.2 x 0.6 m
APPLICATION: Multi-layer, Room, Tent
WATERPROOF & DUSTPROOF: IP65
LIFETIME: L90 > 8500 HRS
LIGHT DISTRIBUTION: 140°
LIGHT SOURCE: UV-B and UV-A Domestic Diodes
QUANTITY OF DIODES TOTAL: 8 UV-B, 40 UV-A
DIMMABLE: No
EXTERNAL CONTROL: No
DAISY CHAIN CAPABILITY: Yes
WEIGHT: 1.2 Kg
DIMENSIONS: 1000 x 48 x 42 mm
THERMAL MANAGEMENT: PASSIVE
POWER FACTOR: > 0.98
MAX. AMBIENT TEMPERATURE: 0 °C
BTU: 102 BTUs/h

30 watts in, and 1.3 watts of UV out - the new LED seem less efficient than the old fluorescent tube reptile UV supplement bulbs. Or an I reading the specifications incorrectly?

no kidding. i grow cheap lol.
These UV light bars are not cheep. I was fortunate and given a pair to try.
30 watts in, and 1.3 watts of UV out - the new LED seem less efficient than the old fluorescent tube reptile UV supplement bulbs. Or an I reading the specifications incorrectly?
TorturedSoul - hope not. Your name always elicits a mental response.

It looks like you are correct on the in-out. I don't know how refined or what is really offered by quantity and/or quality of diodes or any of this. The real-time use has shown that the bud tips did and can burn with the accidental 4 hours given. From past experience with other plants stretching, I believe the UV did stop or slow the stretch fast. Looking back at past pics, the overall bud or flower bulk might be smaller in this grow for the number of days of 12/12 than other grows. Its hard to say for sure. Trichome production is good for this stage but it can also be good without the UV. Need to see how it goes. I've seen some Crusty bud pics that were attributed to the added UV. We will see. :cool:
Here are a few recent tent pics. Will try and get better bud top pics in the next day or so. Lights are out now.

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

Its been a few more weeks. The UV bars are now running for two hours per cycle. Its a tough call on weather or not they make a difference in the trichome production or not. After harvesting I can reassess.
There is 1 plant in the tent, a Tropicanna Banana that has damaged fans and even some damaged sugar leaves. I don't think the damage can be attributed to the UV. The necrosis has stopped for the most part.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

Back
Top Bottom