Venting question

Bagzgroove

So, here's my thought. . . recently odor became a bigger issue than I'm comfortable with. I began looking fo way to expell this outside. I have a chimmney that is used only by my Hot water heater and my boiler. When I bought the house, a new boiler had to be installed, they had to make a new access to this chimmney, and only capped the old access. Could I use this access safely? I am assuming I could, it would have to be lined to keep the exhaust from the 2 heaters from spreading through the house. Would this be enough to contain odor, so you could only smell it on my roof. (The only person that would ever be up there is a roofer, and that would be me. . lol) Thats it. . . just a question if this seems like a sound idea? Thanks. . .Bagz:cool: :smokin3:

Venting thru the chimney is great . The chimney doesn't need to be lined because it doesn't have anything to do with spreading thru the house , it's for exhaust not heat. However, if the smell is that strong , and depending on climactic conditions , the neighbors might start to ask questions .

DanknBeyond said:
as far as I know, chimneys don't have a back flow protection, simply meaning the air has two choices to exhaust, into the house (the boiler vent most likely has a small opening before it connects to the chimney) or outside, so it could possible for the Co2 to flow into your house and poison your family! "can filters" work great! but can be expensive depending on the room, and you need an equal CFM fan to match (also can be expensive)
but this is also an expensive hobby!

I'm not so sure about that. . . Both the boiler and hot water tank have specs that keep them from backing into a house. From what I know of construction, (not claiming to be an expert, just work in the field) ducts used for these units have to be at an incline 1" per 1'. This is to prevent any kind of co2 from backing into the house. These chimmney's also have a gravity vent cap on them, unlike a fireplace chimmney, which is usually just a cage. Theres a dome over top of exhaust chimmney to prevent backflow. This combined with air passing over a house, causes suction, up and out. I would imagine its not impossible for backup being that every situation is a little different, but I would think that it would be some really unusual circumstances. I'm thinking that a liner that could prevent co2 from entering the house on its way out, could also prevent MJ from doing the same.

The situation I'm trying to avoid is walking into my daughters room, opening her closet to smell MJ. 2 of my second floor bedrooms share a closet wall, the back side of this wall is the chimmney wall. I've probably answered my own question, but just to stoned to see it. . .lol, it snowed last night so no work for me today. :allgood: :peace: :allgood:

when they installed the new boiler did they run a pipe up the inside of the chimney? Sometimes they do that. If so, you're good to go. The slope of the duct has nothing to do with backflow of the co2. The dome and gravity cap is just to keep water from going down the chimney. If you're blowing air into the stack it will cause positive pressure and open the vent cap. Keep the air flowing and there's no chance of "backflow". Which I doubt would happen anyway.

Akornpatch said:
when they installed the new boiler did they run a pipe up the inside of the chimney? Sometimes they do that. If so, you're good to go. The slope of the duct has nothing to do with backflow of the co2. The dome and gravity cap is just to keep water from going down the chimney. If you're blowing air into the stack it will cause positive pressure and open the vent cap. Keep the air flowing and there's no chance of "backflow". Which I doubt would happen anyway.

Yes they did run a new pipe up nside. . . about the slope though, not sure about the boiler, but I have installed about 5 hot water heaters in my life, both gas and electric, and that slope is supposed to be to address backflow. hmm. . a lot of times specs are nothing more than best practice. . . lol, nothing to do with reality or practicality (sp?) But it's also possible I got someting mixed up. . . I deal with slopes a lot. .lol The dome and gravity vent, when I first started roofing, a foreman had told me something along the lines that when the dome falls past the opening its for water and airflow. an I've also learned that roofers talk out of their ass sometimes too. . lol anyway thanks AP, Paladin, DanknBeyond. . . I think I should be good with this idea, I can't think of anything dangerous. . . :bong:

Back
Top Bottom