Grow Room Location

Stealthy1

Hey guys wanted to run some ideas by you.

My original GR idea is not gonna work out I mocked up a false wall in a utility closet to see what it would look like and its not really noticeable but the issue is you can see outside the room that the space should be larger...Someone with a keen eye would be tipped of to something suspicious.

So my next idea is get it away from as much traffic as possible so an idea Im playing with is this.

My attic.
Pros. No one every goes up there besides me no boiler, water heater ect...
Well ventilated

Cons. Well its an attic it gets hot up there and probly humid to boot regardless of ventilation.
Access is tough need to get ladder lift hatch climb through hole get yelled at by wife for getting dust on the carpet the maid just cleaned. (Yah I said maid don't look at me like that wife works to much and I dont know the meaning of the word "clean" at least the wife thinks.)

So the saving grace of this plan is my house has 3 floors second floor has half bath vented through roof right were my GR would be located.
There is another bath on 3rd floor but this is not ideal due to the fact that the moisture from showering would mean 100% humidity in the morning.

My thoughts were I could make or buy a box (would have to be sealed) and plumb the 2nd floor bath exhaust to the intake and the exhaust it right to the roof vent.
The I have an old bathroom exhaust fan I would use 24/7 to vent attached to a dimmer switch to control the speed. (anyone know if the fan will last this way?)

In theory it wouldn't matter that the attic temps might reach say 130f lol(not sure what temp gets to but I will set my thermo up there to log some daytime temps.)
I would most likely be insulating the box with foam say an R value of 3. and it would have mylar as well.

An obvious flaw is what if the ambient temps reach 90 degrees so even with venting it might get to 100 degrees (this is worst case senario as I live in northeast and it doesn't get that hot normally)

I know it has some drawbacks obviously but I wont know the extent till I log some temps and maybe a prototype lol to see if the box would get heat soak with constant ventilation.

any replies appreciated.

,Thanks

Stealty1, may I ask how many plants you are looking to grow? Also is this going to be a Soil or Hydro grow?
You may be able to Exhaust out enough and have a bigger intake as well to cool things off with.
What lighting are you loking to use? CFL/ Flouros/MH/HPS? and how many watts?

What size of Box?

Hi Cherma,

It will be a hydro grow right now I have a 150W HPS and 55w "butterfly" light ballast with 3700k bulb and 5500k bulb on the way. As well as an army of CFLs to choose from.
Im a light freak so I just have extras around from when I converted my last house and this one to all cfl lights.

But If I decide to grow up there I might get another 150w hps or at least build the box like I will have another for expansion purposes.

So maybe 2-4 plants at first then maybe 6-8 max.

Oh and one more thing This is a townhouse so neighbors are close do you think I can vent on through the roof without odor scrubber seeing as its 3 stories?

Back
Top Bottom