Very new grower lots of dumb questions

Mr Ellis

420 Member
Hi Folks:

I am very new to this so thanks in advance for your patience. This is my first attempt at growing. I have 6 Indica dominant strains. Growing in an outdoor greenhouse in 20 gallon fibre pots with a local BC soil blend called Sea soil Complete. We are on the 49th parallel The clones grower suggested tenting (blacking out) the plants for 48 hours to encourage budding. When I took a closer look before doing his I noticed the growth at the stem bases in the pic. Is this a bud forming or just wishful thinking. What about the tenting any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMGP6049.JPG
    IMGP6049.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMGP6057.JPG
    IMGP6057.JPG
    786.7 KB · Views: 119
Welcome Ellis....nope, those are not buds forming...but they are clear indicators that you have a female so that's good news! I grow in a GH and it is a little big to tent, so I have no experience on that. However, I am @ 44N so your days are getting shorter than mine and I already have some photos budding...so the light is right and it depends on the strain. Are you in a rush? With a GH you can buy yourself some time as the temps drop (in Oct) as well as any early frosts. Since it is your first grow, my advice is watch and learn....the plants will show you how they do it...then next time you can go hacking their light schedule.

One piece of advice...when they start flowering make sure they are not touching the poly...the condensation will rot the buds.

Overall, looks like you are in good shape.

:goodluck:

Thanks. No Definetlty not in a hurry. Tenting the green house is a no go as the boss (mrs Ellis ) also grows here collection of ridiculously hot peppers in the GH as well. The clones grower suggested blacking out the plants for only 48 hours not all through budding. The strains are 2 purple kush. 2 black bart and 2 critical mass. In the pic also are the Auto flower plants I started with. They are thriving and almost ready for drying. The next vexing question for them is learning when to harvest. Patience is a learned skill I am told.

Attachments

• IMGP6051.JPG
    IMGP6051.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 100
I wouldn’t bother doing the 48 hour darkness thing. Even indoors, where all you have to do is flick a switch, it’s questionable to me that it accomplishes anything at all. For all the work it would take to tarp your greenhouse well enough to make it black inside- nah- take those few hours off and do something nice with the mrs instead.

Well if it was me i would take the longest branches and bend them away from the center and lay them down like horizontal so as to make a canopy of green just space them out evenly. Look as though it will go from side to side in width. yhis is me canopy at the window, hoping to flower them naturally. turning and moving them every other day to keep em from growing in one direction.

regards

Looks straight forward I will give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to help a noob. We are pretty accomplished at the super hot peppers and our veggies but this is new world of learning and I am loving the challenge.

Thanks for the welcome from my UK friends. No plan for the height care to offer some advice on that.
While she is in veg just prune the tops...they will continue to grow, but is also gives you some breathing room. I have pruned mine several times and trained them to the side as well (as mentioned by @improvise). When she starts to pre-flower (imminent) it is too late to prune...only train.

Since I am new to this I am not comfortable pruning for my first real grow. Therefore training it is. The green house that I borrowed from the Mrs is se up for that so it would be the simplest.

Back
Top Bottom