Want To Know Why Pot Is Still Illegal? Ask Your Governor

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Marijuana law reformers, myself included, have spilled volumes of ink commenting on the numerous reasons and vested interests responsible for the continued prohibition of cannabis. But while these lengthy writings may be worthwhile intellectual exercises, I fear that they overlook the obvious.

That’s why, right now, I’d like to give you seven specific reasons why the use of cannabis by adults -- including seriously ill patients -- remains a crime in America. Ready? Here they are:

Governor Donald Carcieri (R-Rhode Island)

Governor James Douglas (R-Vermont)

Governor Linda Lingle (R-Hawaii)

Governor John Lynch (D-New Hampshire)

Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-Minnesota)

Governor Jodi Rell (R-Connecticut)

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-California)

Each of these Governors have single-handedly opted to kill marijuana law reform legislation in their states — either by the stroke of a pen (Carcieri, Lingle, Rell, Schwarzenegger) or by applying enough legislative pressure to abruptly halt ‘pro-pot’ proposals from ever reaching their desk. (In fairness to Gov. Douglas, he has allowed both medical marijuana and hemp law reform bills to become law without his signature.) Governors Carcieri and Schwarzenegger are multiple offenders — having combined to veto half a dozen marijuana-law reform bills in recent years.

Want to know why pot remains illegal in America? You can start by asking your Governor.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Alternet
Author: Paul Armentano
Copyright: 2008 Independent Media Institute
Website: Want To Know Why Pot Is Still Illegal? Ask Your Governor

Vested Interests? I’d say!

With the record number of cannabis arrests publicized last week, came the usual round of supporter and media inquiries about ‘who actually supports keeping America’s cannabis prohibition in place?’

Without sounding overly jaded, it will not surprise many that a principle root of the problem here is ‘money’. In fact, our tax money.

Washington DC’s Roll Call newspaper had an article last week (10/15/08, pg 9, under the very aptly entitled ‘Vested Interests‘ section) that highlights one of the major sources for cannabis arrests in the United States, and how it’s possible demise in future might have positive effects for cannabis consumers in the coming years. One can argue that a major source of the steady increase in cannabis arrests circa 1992 corresponds closely with the massive federal funding received by local, county and state law enforcement departments in a block grant funding program administered by the United States Department of Justice called the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Program, known to policy wonks as ‘Byrne/JAG’. The over $500 million in annual funds funneled to state and local law enforcement agencies have largely help establish multi-jurisdictional, multi-agency ‘anti-drug’ task forces that 1) feast on civil forfeiture laws (which often allow law enforcement, not elected politicians, to divide up seized assets labeled ‘drug money’) and 2) run around claiming that America is ‘winning the war on drugs’ or that ‘legalizing cannabis sends the wrong message to children’.

However, over the years a curiously quite and bipartisan effort has been forged to strip down Byrne/JAG from an $520 million annual appropriation to $170 million. That is a real cut in funding, even by the Beltway’s standard voodoo math! President Bush’s budget office, with support from powerful Republicans in the House and Senate, along with the current Democratic leadership, appear poised to engage in one of the most fundamental changes in criminal justice policy in the last 20 years: A de-escalation–an actual reduction–in federal government spending that helps fuels the war on some drugs. And this from Bush 2.0 and the Democratic leadership (who usually don’t agree on much these days), and despite broad support in Congress for law enforcement getting what they want (218 House members, and 56 Senator have signed a letter insisting that Byrne/JAG receive full funding in the proposed federal budget) seem to be, behind the scenes in government, checking some of the excesses of modern federal drug warring.

We’ll see.

‘Release The Hounds!’
Shockingly, the political and financially self-interested opposition to the cuts are now wagering an aggressive lobbying campaign in DC to restore what they think is theirs–which, in fact, is our tax money.

An alliance of 30 law enforcement and local government group, including prohibition boosters such as the National Criminal Justice Association, National Alliance of Drug Enforcement Agencies, the International Chief of Police Association and the National Governors Association have been lobbying Congress to have the funding restored in a different spending vehicle.

Roll Call reports: Ronald Brooks, president of the National Narcotics Officers’ Associations’ Coalition, which represents some 40,000 local, state and federal narcotic officers redoubled their efforts this spring working to get more money. …

“Many of our supporters were stunned that it had been cut out in the 11th hour by the leadership and the administration (editor’s note: the ‘it’ Narco Brooks refers to is our tax dollars!). To add insult to injury, $684 million went into foreign aid to assist foreign law enforcement.”

Along with drug policy reform and civil liberty groups, reformers are now joined in supporting this historic reduction in Byrne/JAG funding by ‘conservative’ taxpayer-watchdog groups like Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform and Citizens Against Government Waste.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: NORML
Copyright: 2008 NORML

On November 4th 2008 the Big Island of Hawaii spoke and voted to " overwhelmingly approve by a vote of the people (35,329) or 51.3% to (25,658) or 38.6% making "Marijuana the Lowest Law Enforcement Act"
Already, " Prosecuting Attorney" Jay Kimura is spouting off that " I don't believe that it's enforceable as written" His next step is to consult with the Attorney General to see "what impact this will have on the law."

It just does not matter to Mr. Kimura that the people have voted and made it clear that we will no longer accept Federal or State funds for Marijuana Eradication." and to no longer be harrassed and threatened by Local of Federal Law enforcement officials.
It does though create a quandry situation for many Medical Marijauna Patients, as we are allowed 7 plants ( 3 Mature) (4 Vegatative) which is under the 24 plant rule associated with this new law on the Big Island of Hawaii only.
More will be revealed as we go along.

A Hui Hou

Do you think we will be most effective working from the ground up or from the top down?

Governors are pressured to adhere to federal laws despite the fact that state elections are increasingly showing us that decriminalization is a majority issue. And tired, canned answers are easy to come by. What about the children? Somehow kids manage to avoid Jack Daniels via regulation and good parenting.

Some say that we should focus on changing federal laws, which will lengthen the reigns on state governments, which will trickle down to local governments. Others say that local elections and state medical approvals are the way to send the message to the feds that we as a country want change in the federal laws. So which is right? Which is best? Which is most appropriate?

I hate to admit it but these days I feel like great leaps could be made if we start playing the political game. We need PAID lobbyists and non-profit cannabis-organizations (tax write off for donations) that can dump huge sums of money into advertising, campaigning, lobbying and huge salaries for strong public speakers in suits. We need business savvy financiers, judges, scientists and economists to step forward, much like MMJ doctors have stepped forward. You and I and our friends are often limited in what we can do for the cause - we all have our specialties. But ultimately, we aren't making headway due to limited exposure and a movement that lacks structure and a positive public persona. How do we address this? Those with financial backing have the loudest voice, period.

There is no reason that we can't sacrifice drive-thru food and give $10/month to the cause. A capitalist system is based and driven on dollars. When people can start making legal money from the cannabis movement, they will become more interested.

NORML has been around forever now. What do they need? Ultimately, more money. If Buffet (richest guy) dropped a billion tax-deductible dollars into the cannabis movement to fund a lobbying group, it seems like that would be a huge leap. How do you sell a product or an idea? Why does Colgate put millions each year into advertising $3 toothpaste that we already know about? I may be an idiot, it's very possible. But I feel like we have to dump money into a well-organized campaign to make it happen.

Millions of dollars are raised in an instant when say a building is attacked, or a baby falls into a well, or a predictable event such as a hurricane comes inland, so why are we having so much trouble doing the same? Many people put thousands of dollars a year into buying pot on an inflated black market but make no contribution in time or money toward the greater good.

Cannabis and cannabis technology are NEW & IMPROVED. Why are we not advertising this and using this new truth to defend outdated arguments?

What can I do better? What more can I do to help? I need guidance. From where will it come?

Back
Top Bottom