Watering timer for gravity fed drip feeding

d42zero

Hi :)

I'm planning my second grow and I want to automate my watering this time, ideally without using a pump.

I can mix my nutes in 20l (~5gal) drums, so I was thinking of just elevating a drum a metre or so off the ground and letting gravity do the work. Problem is I can't find a low pressure timer that's properly programmable, I can only find ones that turn on for X minutes every Y hours.. My plan was to water 3 times at even spacing during lights on, so I need a timer that's programmable like a light timer.

Does anyone know of a product that will do this? I've done a lot of searching and can only find the Xmin every Yhrs ones :(

Thanks!

Check out bluemat watering systems.

Hm that's interesting, but do you think it would create runoff in a DTW coco setup? Seems like it would just keep things moist..

A digital 24 hr timer will allow you to set your run time in one minute intervals for any time of the day.

I'm not sure how much flow you'll get from a meter of elevation though.

All of the digital options I've found that allow flexible times require at least some pressure to operate, e.g the LinkTap seems to do everything I need and more however its operating pressure starts at 3psi... 3psi isn't much, but IIRC you only get something like 1.5psi per metre of elevation. There are specific low-pressure timers for gravity systems, but the only low-pressure times I can find only allow you to set Xmins per Yhours, not flexible timing. Like this: Pope Products | 1010298-simple-set-duo-tap-timer

Do you know of a fully programmable one that works with a gravity fed system?

Using a different control valve gives you a lot more options.

Something like this allows you to use any plug in timer to control it.

Using a different control valve gives you a lot more options.

Something like this allows you to use any plug in timer to control it.

Ahhh I see, so use a mains solenoid instead and control it using a standard wall timer? I started looking at solenoids but they were low voltage and I got a bit lost on how to control them.. didn't even think of looking for mains ones!

Hm that's interesting, but do you think it would create runoff in a DTW coco setup? Seems like it would just keep things moist..

I am not sure, I know a commercial grower that uses them. I don't no his medium, he did say it has flooded. But seems to like it. I use a pump and floraflex heads.
20200111_073034.jpg

I am not sure, I know a commercial grower that uses them. I don't no his medium, he did say it has flooded. But seems to like it. I use a pump and floraflex heads.

20200111_073034.jpg

I'll look more into them, in the meantime though that photo is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking I'd like to set up but on a smaller scale. I have a 4x4x7 tent and will be growing two plants (maybe three but space was tight last time).

Just timing the drip irrigation is difficult as all the tap timers require pressure.. I was hoping to avoid a pump for noise reasons, but the more I think about it the guy upstairs probably isn't going to hear a small pump through the concrete floor *shrug*

I'll investigate the floraflex heads a bit more, thanks :)

I'll look more into them, in the meantime though that photo is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking I'd like to set up but on a smaller scale. I have a 4x4x7 tent and will be growing two plants (maybe three but space was tight last time).

Just timing the drip irrigation is difficult as all the tap timers require pressure.. I was hoping to avoid a pump for noise reasons, but the more I think about it the guy upstairs probably isn't going to hear a small pump through the concrete floor *shrug*

I'll investigate the floraflex heads a bit more, thanks :)
My pumps runs less then 4 minutes a day

My pumps runs less then 4 minutes a day

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I realise old mate upstairs isn't gonna notice a pump running for a few minutes a day, especially since I plan to water only through the daytime. Pump solves a LOT of hassles, solenoids for gravity systems seem a bit hard to find here but pumps are a dime a dozen at the pet shop!

I was worried a pump could cause a flood if it didn't turn off but gravity-fed could as well (if the solenoid doesn't close), I think I'll get around that issue by using a 4x4 version of the flood tray in your pic and just making sure it can hold more than the nute res.

Thanks for the ideas :)

Back
Top Bottom