Coco - Automatic watering systems - Simple - Cheap

Psomi

Ok friends I've switched to coco and I want to make this watering part easier. My idea is a drip system with a res that sits outside the tent. Have a pump and maybe air stone in res that turns on 3-5 times a day for a few seconds. Keeping my coco wet and the plants watered like hydro. Where can I buy this, or DIY. Pump size, fittings, nozzles to keep pressure even for consistent waterings in each plant. Water timers that allow me to water for 30 seconds at a time 3-5 times a day.

Stuff like that. I can't seem to find anything really straight forward on a complete drip system, or dtw style that isn't thousands of dollars. Any ideas or help for a new coco grower? Thanks in advance!

It's pretty easy. I know you guys will figure it out :cheesygrinsmiley:

As for buying a ready made consumer kit I think it's about time some enterprising individual at the top of the pyramid starts selling them.

You will need a drip ring before you get your automated gear programmed.

Good luck :Vlad:

IMG_057336.JPG

Omg I always knew I would find Macgyver growing cannabis. Looks like a bonsai tree that Macgyver would grow with those sexy hardware ornaments I love it. Yes there's a small tear rolling down my face to how you did that haha.:goodjob:

i have a solution for the auto watering, if you'll be content with growing in a 5gal. bucket with drilled holes in the bottom, for drain to waste.... You'll need an air pump and digital timer.... It's an alteration on my diy waterfarm bucket.... It calls for the same standing water column in the grow bucket filled with coco/perlite, only this time there is no return of water to the reservoir........

Imagine this bucket is the grow bucket... You put your grow mix in it, up to within an inch of the top of the water column..... Drop the pumping column with drip ring into the water column... The pumped water drains to waste.... You could work it out so you would get a 10% run off.... you would need to run the pump once or twice a day... An average HG pumping column pumps about 6 gal an hour.....

IMG_286912.JPG

The the water level in the water column is kept at the same level as the reservoir by gravity...

IMG_28688.JPG

This is what I rigged up for the solo cup grow competition that's going on at the moment, as Vlad knows because he's in it too. I have an electric pump sitting in a reservoir. It sends water/food up the white pipe to a manifold (the black thing) which splits it into eight 1/4" lines. In the first picture I only have 6 lines hooked up. That's about the only picture I have of just the watering system by itself, I'm afraid.
The manifold was part of a watering kit that I got along with a bunch of other assorted junk/treasure in a work trade. It came with a whole bunch of 1/4 waterline, and a large pile of fitting- all sorts of drip emitters and sprayers, lots of connections, flow rate control valves, clamps- all sorts of stuff. It's from a generic big box store and is mostly cheap junk. I'm sure you can easily find equipment like this. There are flow rate controls for each of the eight lines in this manifold but they're a bit finicky so I just leave them wide open. I don't really trust the sprayers and drip emitters and stuff because they seem like they'd clog very easily and can't be trusted- so I just leave the lines open- timer set to come on for one minute for these little plants, 3 times a day. The pump is supposedly 185 gallons/hour and in one minute on, the plants get over a cup of water each- more than needed but that's ok. One minute is the lowest setting in my timer. I thought about restricting the flow rate with something low tech like little hose clamps but I can't be bothered.
Without the emitters, the system is hard bones enough that it's pretty trustworthy. About all that can fail is the pump.

image36353.jpg

image36160.jpg

Another basic passive watering system is Swick.
And there's another one - the name slips my mind at the moment- but some material that wicks water from a res into your pots- watermat or something. Could be making that name up... :lot-o-toke:

It's pretty easy. I know you guys will figure it out :cheesygrinsmiley:

As for buying a ready made consumer kit I think it's about time some enterprising individual at the top of the pyramid starts selling them.

You will need a drip ring before you get your automated gear programmed.

Good luck :Vlad:

IMG_057336.JPG

Hey VP, I love how you tie your plants down, that is way cool!

GR

What's up everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info and that my drip system is up and running! Below are some pics and the link to my current journal is in my sig.. The system has 3 pumps, a digital cycle timer, 27 gallon res, and is actually pretty simple. Enjoy and feel free to follow along on my journey to growing Meds for those in needs! Cheers

image8637.jpeg
image8638.jpeg
image8639.jpeg

Here is 48 hours from the pic above after the drip system is running with multiple feelings.
image8762.jpeg

Hey, cool set up. What are you using to keep the pots above the drip trays? Im in proccess of trying to build something like this.

Back
Top Bottom