Watts vs. watts... Or, lumens vs usable lumens?

baldalicious

What does that mean, exactly? There are all kinds of threads and journals in which LEDs are matched against LEDs and LEDs are matched against HIDs. It's pretty easy to make a comparison of LEDs watt per watt but what about LED usable lumens per HID usable lumens?

For example, I've read specs from some LED manufacturers who compare their 120 watt LED lights to a 600 watt HID based on the number of lumens produced which will actually be used by the plant, not by the actual number of electrical watts consumed by the light. As I read through these threads, I see mentions of 600 watt HID yield compared to some variable of LED yield. Taking into consideration that the grower's gold standard for yield is at least one gram per watt, how does that compare to using LEDs? If I use a 120 watt LED and my yield is .6 grams per watt and my yield from a 600 watt HID is also .6 grams per watt, how do they really compare? What about a scenario in which a 600 watt HID produces say, 420 grams of bud or around .7 grams per watt and a 120 watt LED produces 400 grams or about 3.3 grams per watt? Wouldn't that mean then, that using 600 actual watts of LEDs might produce nearly 2,000 grams of bud? (Jeeze, I get a hard on just thinking about that.)

Wouldn't it be better to compare yield based on lumens rather than watts i.e.; grams per lumen? Seems to me that would be a more realistic way of evaluating expected yields based on light source and a better way of evaluating the effectiveness of one source of light versus another.

Inquiring noobs would like to know...

Back
Top Bottom