Ways to reduce your electrical bill - Grow and live smarter

Why not just make more money so a $200 electric bill doesn't matter? Then your not bumping into things in the dark. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

It's not my house and the person i live with is strict with the bills.

The amount of money for the bill has nothing to do with it.

Great post contributors power to ya ('scus the pun). I think electrical equiptment on standby mode is a real big contributor over time which many don't consider. I'll be looking at ways to reduce myself especially this GLM. Cheers Pat.

so true and i know this. it is just that it is one of those details that got lost in the back of my mind (?). sometimes i need to be reminded of this so thanks for the awareness. just went on the bay to order a kill a watt. should entertain me if nothing else, thanks again, Pat.

It's not my house and the person i live with is strict with the bills.

The amount of money for the bill has nothing to do with it.

Admittedly, it has been decades since I lived in a residence where I was not the primary (or even the sole) resident. But when I did... I never encountered a situation in which saying, "My computer (et cetera) has a hefty power supply and will probably add $25/month (whatever) to the electric bill. Here's an additional $30 towards my share of next month's bill. If it looks like it's going to be more than that, just let me know and I'll happily add whatever you think is fair to my share of the utility and rent bills," was not met with a positive response.

Of course, I never tried growing cannabis in someone else's place without their knowledge and consent (that would be wrong on many levels, IMHO, and might leave them open to property confiscation and other penalties), so the "extra" amount in question wouldn't have been (for example) 2,800 watts/hour for 12 hours each and every day of flowering - which would equate to, IDK, somewhere around $130 for a 30-day period, lol. I can see where telling someone that you're about to start adding that much to someone's electric bill might be occasion for some discussion ;) .

OtOH, I assumed that luckiestman13's[/quote] comment was facetious and, therefore, meant in a humorous way. For some folks, earning (significantly) more money might not easily be possible. Or they may feel that it is not worth it; a higher-paying job might mean adding two or three hours to one's work-related time burden because it means they have to commute. Et cetera. Additionally, conservation (in general, and in particular in regards to electricity) is always a good idea. We do, after all, seem to currently be stuck on this one planet and, therefore, have a rather finite amount of resources to draw from.

I think electrical equiptment on standby mode is a real big contributor over time which many don't consider.

I agree in general with this statement. If we consider the total number of electrical devices (televisions, chargers for various devices, microwaves, et cetera) which are routinely plugged in even when they are not performing their task, and the total amount of energy consumed by them each year all across the world or even just across a country that has a sizable population (such as the United States), that total would probably be enough to account for the electrical usage of a small town (or even a moderate-sized city). However, in terms of an individual device... I try to remove all electrical load from devices which are not being actively used - One reason is because of conservationism, and another is that I am poor enough that I have, in the past, been forced to decide whether to pay the electrical bill or the water bill, lol, or even had to ignore both of them (and the existence of grocery stores) in order to keep my house, so every cent counts. But I've measured the electrical consumption of some devices when they were in standby mode. Many of them were consuming something like .3 watt - and that's .0003 kWh per hour or (assuming that they did not get used at all during a 30-day month) .216 kwH in a 30-day period. That works out to... 2.8 cents here, lol. Per month. So... <SHRUGS> If I've just walked halfway across town, know that I'll be away from the house for four hours, and realize that I forgot to unplug my <generic electrical device which is not being used>, am I going to turn around and walk all the way back just to save .000156 of a penny? I'd have lost more than that in wear and tear on my shoes :rofl: . So it's all relative....

I live with a family member who relies on a pension, there bills are usually very very low.
They like them like that, I like to keep them happy so i keep the bills very low. I dont use
what i don't need and would rather bump into a few things than ruffle a few feathers.

When i'm in my own place i'll be upscaling, but in a weird way its become quite satisfying.
I have a few friends that grow and there bills can be about ten times as much as mine.
Admittedly they have a few grows going at once, but they seem surprised at what i can
grow at what little power cost.

I kinda like having the power bill real cheap and growing descent plants doing it. If anyone
has seen my journal, the plants are nice and healthy and costing me about 60 bucks
every couple of months for power. Thats including what i use for the whole house.

The Phillips cmh light i think has a bit to do with it too. Love that light.

I offered to pay for all of the bills but they're stuck in their ways, it's their house
so i respect what they want. I was waiting for the last bill since ive been running
the 315w light (used to run a 250) and was pleasantly surprised. Awesome
little bit of gear if you can afford it. Wouldn't take long to pay for itself really.

I have read that those ceramic metal halides (the 315-watt especially) were pretty efficient. Never had the chance to use one, but others' reports appear to be quite favorable.

Hey guys I just wanted to give a little update on what I did and the difference it made.

My electricity bill at the beginning was around $90- $100, but after using my 250w led, small fan, large 4" extraction fan, and mini dehumidifier it jumped up to over $200 a month.

The adjustments I made, put a sleep timer on my custom computer to shut off in 15 minutes, put a 24hr timer on all my fans (except tent fans), a timer on our kitchen light that was originally on constantly, and started turning off all things not being used like TV and stereo.

The result, electricity bill went from $200+ down to $120- $130 a month. These minor things made a hell if a difference.

Back
Top Bottom