We're Making A Mess Of This Pot Thing, Colorado

Truth Seeker

You know how sometimes when you smoke pot the wheels in your mind start turning with the sort of creativity and ingenuity not seen since the invention of Taco Bell's Cool Ranch Dorito Locos Taco? How your imagination positively explodes with intricate details of a grand vision you'll start implementing just as soon you're done watching "Pineapple Express"?

Yeah, me neither, but let's just go with it for a minute, anyway.

People who smoke pot with any amount of frequency see things differently than those who don't smoke pot. Therein lies the issue since pot became kinda-sorta-but-still-not-really legal in Colorado.

Coloradans are now divided into two groups: those who think and act like normal adults, and those who smoke pot regularly, have successfully viewed Seth Rogen's entire filmography while polishing off a bag of the aforementioned tacos and just know in their bones they're going to singlehandedly reimagine and reinvigorate life in the Centennial State even if their ambitious ideas don't always seem so sharp once the smoke clears.

There has recently been a comedy of errors around these parts so remarkable that Cheech and Chong are no doubt sitting back admiringly and taking notes.

Part of the joke appears to be rooted in the fact that the state's medical marijuana watchdog group needs its own watchdog group. A state audit released in late March shows regulators who were supposed to be supervising Colorado's medical marijuana industry couldn't manage to self-identify "its proper role" or do a "sufficient job managing its programs and finances," according to a March 26 story in The Denver Post.

More than $1 million was spent developing a seed-to-sale inventory tracking system, but then the group "couldn't come up with another $400,000 to put it in place." It's almost an O'Henry-like scenario, except instead of the hair combs for no hair and a watch band without a watch, some bonehead forgot it's impossible to eat a peanut butter sandwich if you don't have also have a glass of milk to wash it down.

More than 40 percent of marijuana business license applications filed in 2010 have yet to be processed, and far too many questionable licenses have been granted. The punch line, however? Not the underreported sales tax revenue or unexplained "weak controls" over the destruction of marijuana seizures.

No, it's the purchase of $28,000 spent on seven desk extenders and $4,200 on four office chairs. Somewhere, a bunch of college stoners are weak in the knees at the prospect of graduating to a job where they, too, can get paid to recline in high style instead of slumping on a third-hand lumpy couch with questionable stains in the common area outside of their dorm room.

Then there are the "green" entrepreneurs in Denver – My 420 Tours – who just can't wait to start the nation's first-ever marijuana tourism company that will include pot-friendly hotels and cannabis-themed concerts and events. They're so anxious in fact, that their rollout comes in just six days, despite the fact that non-medical marijuana sales will still be illegal in Colorado for a few more months.

Some landlords are scratching their heads wondering how to handle complaints from residents about pot smoke leaking into the hallways of their buildings. There's also the decidedly less-funny news that Children's Hospital Colorado treated 14 children in a 2-year span after they ingested pot-laced goodies such as gummy worms and brownies, compared to none in the previous 4-year period before medical marijuana became legal.

A Pew Research survey released on April 4 revealed 52 percent of Americans now support the legalization of marijuana, but if news continues seeping out of Colorado about the sticky and moronic nuances of the process, it seems likely that not only will no other states will follow suite, but someone also might just decide to step up here and repeal the measures already kinda sorta in place.

Which means it's probably time to take a page out of the college-stoners handbook and by all means, keep smoking and dreaming if that's your thing, but at the same time, stick a rolled-up towel under the door and act like you've been there, people.

Marijuana_Grow_Op.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: denverpost.com
Author: Meredith Carroll
Website: M. Carroll: We're making a mess of this pot thing, Colorado - The Denver Post

Wow ,Thats a optimistic view...Of course its going to take some time to sort out all the details. and yes once the "State" starts running anything there is bound to be mistakes...and misappropriations of $$ and anything else they can mess up...Then you do have some knuckle heads that get high and run with some off the wall idea.... well that can happen too. But most stoners know that when you do have a "profound revelation",you do wait "for the smoke to clear" and then rethink the idea to be sure it will work....with all that said I do believe that legal marijuana will happen..People are people ,mistakes will be made ,BUT I know weed is safer than drunkenness and givin the choice,maybe we will have a better world.Anyway I'm glad its happening...Our country has spent way too much $ on this war on weed..And that is a waste without a doubt !!! so Lets all just hope for the best.....ok? Thanks Red.

I don't know about the mess. I moved here a few months ago and have found things quite satisfying.
Live in KS for awhile and almost anyplace is a step up.

The smartest young people in the world will move to cannabis friendly states. Other states must adapt, or suffer brain drain.

How many of those 14 children suffered brain damage? Became addicts? Started robbing liquor stores with "born to lose" tatooed across their chests. How many DIED?

The "save the children" argument by generations upon generations of alcohol consuming parents is tiresome.

Seems as though the author is trying to blame all the troubles with regulation on us Cannabis consumers? Does she not realize we don't have a hand in that? Give it to us & we'd just make it a free market product, sold by farmers the same as other plants!

Just remember Colorado...The World is watching you & Washington State. Lets hope that people still get their Medicine & the other people can get it for their personal use. I would like to see more Farmers get involved not just with HEMP but real good Cannabis.

what a bad article; there's so much ego, but so little information! and the author is making mountains from mole hills. where should I begin? for the first 5 short paragraphs, you just babble! you divide users and non users into two very separate groups. this is dangerous thinking, buddy. thats like saying theres dog lovers and cat lovers, fast food eaters and real food eaters, farmers, and city folk, etcetera. everyone is different; don't blame or accuse cannabis for the human condition. the issues you chose to discuss are so petty. hahahah, landlords are concerned about cannabis fumes in the hallways? the solution is to have a strict smoking policy in place for both tobacco and mj in the building. enforce it, don't complain to the people on the internet. if tenants repeatedly break the smoking agreement for their apartment, EVICT THEM!! don't blow this out of proportion. we are arguing about insense burning.. thats what cannabis smoke is; theraputic, temporary, natural scent much like sandalwood and frankinsense. as for the issue about kids eating gummy worms and broiwnies; HIDE YOUR CANNABIS! seriously people; you keep your asprin in a hard to open bottle high up in the cupboards out of the reach of children, so why wouldn't you do this for cannabis. again, this is no reason to fear or doubt legalization.
in summary, the arguments you chose are weak, and a good 90% of your writings are full of ego, fancy words, and opinions based on hollywood characters. this article is void of any good info. don't be swooned by fancy words

I've lived in Colorado for nearly 23 years, and nothing seems different to me since MMJ became legal. Well, except for fewer people getting arrested and more people having good medication.

But then I live a pretty quiet life and I'm not out looking for things to complain about.

And even though I now happily grow my own, you will never never get me to eat Dorito Locos Tacos, nor go to a Seth Rogen movie (not that there's anything wrong with either, just not my thing). What a stack of stupid stereotypes!

Go Colorado! We're on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom