What are they?

420soul

Yesterday I transplanted two plants I have from dixie cups to 5 gallon pots. I used an unopened bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil. Today I notice I have an infestation of very small bugs. They are about the size of a pinhead. They look to be white/translucent with antennas and move pretty fast. Can these be spider mites after only 24 hours? If so whats the best way to get rid of them?
Thanks for any help.

Well caught a couple of them on sticky tape and brought them to the hydro store where the owner identified them as being spider mites. Next question was how did I get them so fast. Figured that out after reading this posting by McBudz:

"Also no longer brought any new garden products into my grow area without first cleaning to ensure I'm not bringing little hitchhikers in. I feel like mine either came from my dog, or the dirt from HD I used for my first grow, or other various pots I had shipped from plant supply places."

What I had done was make a newbie mistake and bought flower pots off the internet and did not clean them before transplanting. Wish I had seen McBudz posting beforehand. Learned the hard way. Sometimes,I guess, its best to learn the hard way than not learn at all.
Posting this so that others may learn from my mistake.
Also would like to thank McBudz and other experienced growers on here that don't mind taking the time to post and help us all out. Have donated once to this site and will again as I'm finding an abundance of helpful information here.

Yesterday I transplanted two plants I have from dixie cups to 5 gallon pots. I used an unopened bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil. Today I notice I have an infestation of very small bugs. They are about the size of a pinhead. They look to be white/translucent with antennas and move pretty fast. Can these be spider mites after only 24 hours? If so whats the best way to get rid of them?
Thanks for any help.
Even though the local hydro store says spider mites the description you give doesn't sound like them. it sounds closer to thrips. mites are pretty slow movers. thrips hop around really quickly. both are sap suckers and a pain in the ass to deal with.

I've been finding those tharps too, it must be the soil or what? because i haven't changed a thing, and i herd fox farm was getting too big for themselves and the quality is not as good, i never believed it, but i have been finding the tharps, i dunno..

Thanks for the input Racefan and Hightide805. I took a picture of the damage they left. I was so over run by them I finally just transplanted them. I removed all the soil and washed them all the way down to the roots. I sprayed them with neem oil,too. I also bugged bombed the house. Even after that I had a couple come back. I put up a Hot Shot No Pest Strip and I believe they're finally gone. Its been 3 days since I've seen them.
Pic0

Well, I spoke too soon. Got up this morning and they are back. Very few and much smaller. But they're there. The Hot Shot No Pest Strip seems to have no effect on them.
Also notice a couple bugs flying around. I have noticed this in the past but didn't think they were related to the bugs in the soil.
I believe you're right, Racefan, and that they may be thrips. I bought some AzaMax and am going to try that next.
Any other ideas?

spray down your plant focosing on the underside of your leaves with warm soapy water roughly every 3 days till theyv gon, worked a charm for me

Back
Top Bottom