How to tell when spider mites are gone from a room?

DDK319

Hi All,

My indoor grow spot is a second bedroom. A month or two ago I had a brutal spider mite infestation, and I lost the clones I had in there. I left the room closed off once the battle with the mites was lost, and emptied out all of the pots, soil, etc. and tossed it all. Since then I have set off a couple Doktor Doom bombs 12 days apart (today was the 2nd bomb). I do not see any signs that the mites are still around, but I am afraid to start a new grow and end up infested again if they are still in the room or house.

How can I tell? I know the yellow test strips attract all sorts of bugs, but they don't seem to attract the spider mites. Any ideas on how I can be sure they are gone before I invest the money and time into starting another grow?

Thanks!
-DDK

If you use a tent, and can do it, spray the room with a miticide. Floors, ceiling, and the walls all will need to be sprayed. Do not spray the tent, especially the inside of it. This will help prevent re-infestation.

I spray the area around my tent before every grow. Since I started growing three years ago, I have not had a pest problem.

Thanks Old Salt. Love the name and the icon, I am a lifelong boater myself. I am not using a tent, unfortunately. I am using the closet of an unused bedroom, but it is wide open to the rest of the bedroom. There is also an armoir in the bedroom that I use for clones from start to full veg if the main light and the closet is occupied by something in flower. The room also has carpet, which I know is not ideal, but it's a rental so I can't rip it out.

Any idea on a way to find out if there are any surviving mites in the room? I have looked at random spots with my loupe and do not see any, but that is far from an assurance.

Thanks,
-DDK

I've never determined where I have them coming from, but the spider mites seemed be gone for good once they were gone for me (knocking on wood). Aphids..not so much grrr.... :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom