What deficiency is this?

Out of 22 plants only 2 have this deficiency. Their 2 diff strains. One had this problem since day one the other one started a week ago. Not concerned at all because I started 22 from seed 4 diff strains. And some are tunts some are big. Some had slight nitrogen deficiency but evened out the. Theres these two proble. Children.

Some plants drink more than Others but I'm not gon a change my watering days for 2 plants out of 22 so its probly a lockout maybe or too much of something

Tried looking online for the pictures of each deficiency and couldnt really find one that matched. Any ideas.
I was just gonna guess nute burnt. Weren't drinking enough. So they get too much fert and getting burnt edges?
Resized_20200423_194924.jpeg
Resized_20200423_194920.jpeg

Potassium deficiency would be my guess, either caused by too little of it, or too much of an element which "antagonizes" it (e.g., too much calcium, magnesium, of an overabundance of nitrogen (especially if in the form of NH4+)).

See:

...and, for an image of Mulder's chart, along with accompanying explanations/clarifications about antagonistic/synergistic elemental relationships in regards to plant health, see:

I'm also going to use my Phone an Expert option ;) . @Emilya , can you offer a... third opinion, please? I've never been comfortable offering advice like this when I'm not able to put down the electronic device, grab my cheaters, and go visit the plants in person. But it just doesn't look like a classic magnesium deficiency to my (poor) eyes.

Early stages of Magnesium deficiency I believe. You also might start seeing a calcium deficiency also.
Funny Ithought maybe mag at first but I supplement with calmag from GH.

Mind you I only feed half strength recomended dose from GH and do water-nute-water-nute.

So could be possible just weak genetics in thos 2

Potassium deficiency would be my guess, either caused by too little of it, or too much of an element which "antagonizes" it (e.g., too much calcium, magnesium, of an overabundance of nitrogen (especially if in the form of NH4+)).

See:

...and...

I'm also going to use my Phone an Expert option ;) . @Emilya , can you offer a... third opinion, please? I've never been comfortable offering advice like this when I'm not able to put down the electronic device, grab my cheaters, and go visit the plants in person. But it just doesn't look like a classic magnesium deficiency to my (poor) eyes.
And you could be right too. Was using potassium silicate this grow for the first time. Shits super powerful. Could of raised levels too high locking out or fucking with some other ones.

I stopped using it today anyways plants done their stretch. Shouldnt need the silica anymore.

Had a similar issue. Ran a few different genetics. Show similar deficiencies so I fed those plants a bit extra cal/mag. Fixed it. I run soil also though.

Not concerned at all because I started 22 from seed 4 diff strains.

IF this is an indication of a potassium deficiency, I would be concerned - and not just for the plants that are showing obvious signs of the issue, either. Potassium is "pretty important" for proper flower (bud) development, lol.

Good luck in identifying and dealing with it. Please keep us updated!

I cant see the bottom leaves and that is the clue that is needed. If it is a mobile deficiency and we see damage also occurring in the lower fans, then I believe it is potassium. If this is only in the upper fans, I am coming in on the calcium side since that is a non mobile element.

I've read that, while potassium issues generally show on the lower leaves first (which is what we've traditionally been taught to believe), that this is not always the case. You ever read/hear/experience anything that would lend credence to that? I'm - very, very tentatively - thinking that the amount/type of light might cause some sort of "regional zone" at the top of the plants. The OP is using some sort of (more or less) "white light" LED, although I do not know what type it is, how much light it is providing per unit of area, what its penetrative ability is, etc. Nor do I know what the air circulation / temperature situation is.

Additionally, when I've had calcium deficiencies, by the time the leaf margins got anywhere near that bad, the necrotic areas throughout the leaves were much worse than pictured in those images.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by. I feel like I learn something, get challenged to think, or both every time I encounter one of your posts :thumb:.

Since K is one of the 3 mobile elements, it can be moved around by the plant when the buds are calling for more than is coming in at the time. This is why you will see cannibalization generally start down low and move up, but unlike N when it is lacking, the robbing of the leaves is not totally from the bottom and then gradually moving up the stalk. When the plant needs P or K it robs certain portions of the leaves where those elements are stored, potassium generally from the tips and margins of the leaf and phosphorus from random splotches in the middle of the fingers of the leaves. The places that get robbed of these elements also happen to be the most photo active portions of the plant, so you generally see this damage occur directly under the lights or on the "good" side of the plant, rather than inside or below the canopy.

Calcium also generally presents a bit differently, as a an overall yellowing of the upper leaves or odd spots in the middle of the leaves, so I am betting that the OP has seen damage down below too, indicating K is the problem that needs to be addressed, and again the solution could be nothing more complicated than giving the other half of the recommended nutes at the proper pH.

I would also recommend looking at the overall color to stop this half strength nonsense and actually feed these plants what they are craving. These are hungry plants and could easily use the other half of those nutes.
Theres a method to my madness. I'm at work for 20 days a month and am not at home.
Momma waters the plants. And she hates it filling up buckets and measureing TDS and ph. She hates watering. And my RO system takes a long time to fill buckets. 4x5 gallon pails waters 22x5 gallon pots. With maybe 5% runoff in each pot. With that in mind since I dont get the necessary 20 to 30% runoff I can burn my plants.
Last grow did NUTE-NUTE-WATER and by the end there was a few crispy leaves. Since plants only take up roughly10 to 20% of what they need, not what you give them, I decided this would be my best path to keep for getting nute burn and to see if it worked. This is only my 3rd indoor grow. So each grow I adjust from last one to see my results. This is all research and development for me. It's why I got a license to fuck around and learn. And the fact their doing so well while I'm growing thru a complete beginner who hates the process. I'd say we doing ok. I will get her to check the lower leaves tommorow. Thank you Emylia for the advice.
IF this is an indication of a potassium deficiency, I would be concerned - and not just for the plants that are showing obvious signs of the issue, either. Potassium is "pretty important" for proper flower (bud) development, lol.

Good luck in identifying and dealing with it. Please keep us updated!
Well it SHOULDNT be a pot deficiency since they get bloom, micro and grow nutes as well as potassium silica but I'm not ruling it out.

Just not too concerned too about a couple plants bruv.
It i's just 2 plants out of 22. And it's the 2 runts. They just gonna get tossed into the BHO pile with the other runts. Keep only the strongest healthiest biggest buds to cure and smoke.

I guess I should mention for veg I was doing NUTE-WATER-NUTE-WATER
......but for the water days was still using the pot. Silica. New product wanted to try it out.

Now I know should of kept it straight wate for water days. Was probly getting too much potassium. So this is all in the good. And messed with other elements. Lesson learned. And j Appreciate the quick replies.

These are they other 20 they doing great. They look lighter green in pics but in person she says their a darker green but not too dark. I've definately raised that question.

I get nervous looking at the pics too because some of the plants seem to be different colors but it's the lights too. I have 3100k cmhs and 4100k cmhs which change the colour drastically and quantum board white leds everywhere and cob leds. Theres alot of weird crosslighti going on. But this is usuall when it shows up in pics she takes. I get home and their always fine thank goodness.
Resized_20200423_193749.jpeg
Resized_20200423_193755.jpg

And you could be right too. Was using potassium silicate this grow for the first time. Shits super powerful. Could of raised levels too high locking out or fucking with some other ones.

I stopped using it today anyways plants done their stretch. Shouldnt need the silica anymore.

Foliar/spray on the Potassium Silicate I've never watered it in. Too much on leaves wont be a problem and it will help the leaves..

Light colored margins on 2 of 22 plants.... could be anything really. Best to go with the 20 plants that look great. If those 2 flounder cull them.

You wouldn't want to change something to benefit the few at the expense of the many right?

Its not that bad really. Rest of the garden looks good. Genetics at play .??

Back
Top Bottom