What is Borosilicate Glass

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The best glass for smoking devices is Borosilicate glass. Just what is that you may ask.

From Wikipedia.

Borosilicate Glass
Borosilicate glass is a type of glass with the main glass forming constituents silica and boron oxide. Borosilicate glasses are most well known for having very low thermal expansion (3 x 10-6 / C), making them resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass. Borosilicate glass was first developed by German glassmaker Otto Schott in the late 19th century[1] and sold under the brand name "Duran" in 1893. After Corning Glass Works introduced Pyrex in 1915, it became a synonym for borosilicate glass in the English-speaking world (however, since 1998 Pyrex kitchen brand is no longer made of borosilicate but of soda-lime glass[2]). Holophane manufactures original equipment lenses for street lights under the Endural brand name. Bomex is a brand of borosilicate glassware made in China for a number of resellers in the United States and abroad.

Most borosilicate glass is clear. Colored borosilicate, for the art glass trade, was first widely brought onto the market in 1986 when Paul Trautman founded Northstar Glassworks. There are now a number of small companies in the U.S. and abroad that manufacture and sell colored borosilicate glass for the art glass market.

In addition to the quartz, sodium carbonate, and calcium carbonate traditionally used in glassmaking, boron is used in the manufacture of borosilicate glass. Typically, the resulting glass composition is about 70% silica, 10% boron oxide, 8% sodium oxide, 8% potassium oxide, and 1% calcium oxide (lime). Though somewhat more difficult to make than traditional glass (Corning conducted a major revamp of their operations to make it), it is economical to produce because its superior durability, chemical and heat resistance finds excellent use in chemical laboratory equipment, cookware, lighting, and in certain cases, windows.

Borosilicate glass is 100 times easier to clean then Pyrex. RooR uses nothing but borosilicate glass on their pipes. The quality, strength, and cleanability is markedly improved over it's pyrex counter parts.

sorry to bump, but why would there not be an ongoing discussion about the materials used in bongs?

roorman, it says that pryex is borosilicate...if a bongmaker says it's pyrex, is it the soda lime? or the borosilicate?

sorry to bump, but why would there not be an ongoing discussion about the materials used in bongs?

roorman, it says that pryex is borosilicate...if a bongmaker says it's pyrex, is it the soda lime? or the borosilicate?

As far as I know, RooR, LUX, Weedstar, EHLE, Hurricane, G-Spot and pH(x) all make pipes using borosillicate glass. :peace:

This perks my curiosity as my dear friend as he calls it is a farenheight designer> his term for a glass " vase" producing artist> I have all of his one off designs for my personal use> I now need to know as well what is prefered in the glazing world, at least from his opinion> Thanks for the heads up on this>

Back
Top Bottom