What is wrong with my seedling?

Spliffd

lil_weasy.JPG

I germinated this lowryder#2 two days ago in a jiffy pot, put the pot in a bigger pot with more soil and put it outside in the sun, under a plastic container to help keep humidity high and shield it from direct sunlight until it was stronger.

It never really looked like it got going, always very limp. Did I put it in the sunlight too early?

To make matters worse, in an attempt to try and save this little guy I took the container off and put it in a shadier spot outside. When I checked it this morning there was a group of ants feeding on it - GRRRRRRR.

So.... Removed all the ants I could find, brought it inside and its sitting on my windowsill in the sun until I can figure out what to do.

Any and all help appreciated

Based on my limited experience with this i just put in my two cents since were not too far off experience wise. They're just too sensitive, they have to emerge outside or in bright light from day one or else I keep lights far and minimal to ease their transition. Your problem could be light from the sun or root damage from overwatering. Lots of possibilities but with seedlings you just gotta be careful and provide the optimal environment and let them do their thing on their own. Once they get older they toughen up a lot.

What's mostly likely going on is that the roots underneath the dirt aren't doing anything but shriveling up. I had the same problem, and attributed it to the soil being too most and the consistency of the soil was too hard and compact. Some kind of fungus or bacteria that wasn't supposed to be there. I'm not sure what you can do, but i guess propping it up and keeping it humid and in the mid 80*F will be your best bet. Not sure on the light, but IMO I'd keep it as far away as possible, under your humidity dome. Hopefully others with more experience can help you, but I think the seedlings are one of those things that if they don't make it, you just move on. Which is why some people plant hundreds of seeds at a time, only selecting the few strongest out of the batch.

or could be weak seeds.. i myself germinated 5 lowryder and only 1 survived most of them ended up like yours, or sometimes i can grow them upto 4 inch then main cola just becomes weak like theres nothing inside the cola just air :eek:

a lot of times when you germinate in something else and then transplant into your medium, the plant suffers more stress from being transplanted with an exposed taproot and will not make the transition.. You're better off just soaking the soil, planting the seed pointy side down, and then keeping the soil moist for 2-3 days until it comes up.. I had similar problems with my seeds, but since I started planting it like nature does, I've had 100% success on all my seedlings.

I think you should just start over. I think you're baby is dead especially if ants have been munching on it like it was a salad...lol...Your dirt looks dry too I noticed. And I agree, if you post more information you will get better answers or responses...Have you checked out....How to Make a Grow Journal

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

I was hoping that because I had germinated the seed in a peat pot and put the entire peat pot into its new home that it would suffer little to no shock. Maybe because Im such a rough male I somehow managed to screw that up and find a way to kill it.

Ive taken your advice and put another seed into a another peat pot and hoping to see it in the next 2-3days.

I have a healthy looking seedling that I germed at the same time as this one going in my journal if you want to check it out. I wanted to do one in the sun and one under lights as a comparison but thats not working out too well... lol

On with the next I say....

Same thing happened here with lowriders 5 out of 5. I think there was a batch of bad seeds that got through.

Eeeek! thats sucks. Ive got one doing ok in my journal so hopefully I can get my 3rd and final seed moving in the same direction. Id hate to have paid all $ getting them for one seed that I could end up eventually killing anyways... sigh (*SLAP* - stay positive!)

I think you should just start over. I think you're baby is dead especially if ants have been munching on it like it was a salad...lol...Your dirt looks dry too I noticed. And I agree, if you post more information you will get better answers or responses...Have you checked out....How to Make a Grow Journal

@queenToke - Dont get me started on those ants. I was pretty angry I had thoughts of drenching the whole lot of them in flyspray but realised it was my fault for putting the seedling outside.

Dry soil - Yeah I did think that too but have been quite afraid of making that rookie mistake of overwatering. From what Ive read on here it seems they can handle underwatering alot more than overwatering (obv trying not to do either). Im sure the lower soil was probably moist - finger dipped the side of the pot.

when they're young, I like to keep the soil consistently moist.. Once they have a basic root structure developed, then you can let the soil dry out for a day between waterings. They're very sensitive that early in their life.. Once you get them past that stage, it will be smooth sailing

when they're young, I like to keep the soil consistently moist.. Once they have a basic root structure developed, then you can let the soil dry out for a day between waterings. They're very sensitive that early in their life.. Once you get them past that stage, it will be smooth sailing

Smooth sailing sounds good but until then constant checking for growth and worry will suffice... hahaha

Back
Top Bottom