What is your Clone Rooting Gell or Powder?

Why aspirin? Same as hydrogen peroxide?

No. Actually the active ingredient in rooting gel or powder is indole-3butyric acid. The active ingredient in aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid. Both of these chemicals occur naturally - in the same place. Willow tree. Back in the old days, (even before I was born, like 1500's) if a female human was feeling poorly, she would be instructed to take a nap under a willow tree. That actually had some basis in science - though they didn't know it then. At certain times of the year she'd be inhaling acetyl salicylic acid - and the nap didn't hurt either.

The active ingredient in rooting gel comes from ... guess where, yup, willow tree.

They are very closely related - the molecule is almost identical.

There hasn't been a lot of research done on it so much is anecdotal. But, it is reported that it stimulates root growth as a clone or new sprout. In veg it alerts the plant that it is under attack from a predator (mites, mold, etc.) and stimulates its natural defenses. It is also reported that used during flower stage that it makes for more fruit - but smaller buds. So you may not want to use it during flower.

It can be used as a foliar spray, or in the nute mix.

It will affect the Ph (it's an acid), but not much. Use 325mg (one aspirin tab) per gallon. And it's better to go with less than more - too much is really bad. Use the cheap stuff, non enteric coated and it will dissolve quickly. The stuff that doesn't dissolve is filler that we don't care about any way (clay, talcum, binders and stuff). You don't even need to crush it - it will dissolve in water in about 60 seconds, just stir it.

I make it part of my clone birthing process and water with it for the first few times. If the moms get sick or hurt I give them a dose on their roots (in addition to whatever I'm treating them with) and it seems to help a lot. Add an aspirin to the solution you use for soaking plugs, and wetting them. Put in your spray bottle that you spray the clones with ... just be careful, do not exceed 325mg per gallon (or 4 liters).

If you're putting it in a half gallon, just bite one in half and use that. If you're putting it in your quart (liter) spray bottle bite the half in half - you get it.

Google it - there is starting to be some good info now. I was turned on to this a long, long time ago from an old hippy that I knew when I was a pup back in the 60's. He taught me a lot about growing this plant long before it was available in books, and there was no internet then.

One aspirin per gallon. Buy a bottle of 100 for a buck - it's a good thing to have in your garden.

I personally don't use H2O2. From what I understand that is used for root rot - applying the extra molecule of oxygen interferes with the rot. I approach that more directly, I don't want to 'interfere', I want to prevent or kill. I keep the temp in my res at or below 76 degrees Fahrenheit (25 Celsius) and when I start the machine, before I put cuttings in, I put about 10ml of bleach - that's the 'prevent'. If I smell something funky in the water days later, I do the 10ml of bleach thing again because it evaporates pretty quickly - that's the 'kill'. Use unscented, un everything plain-Jane-cheap bleach. Costs about $1.99 per gallon.

I learned to grow a long time before there was grow shops; no super duper special nutes, bud enhancers, specialized bug sprays. We had to make our own, or adapt from other plants. It was dangerous to talk to someone about it because that's how you got busted - and we could do five years minimum for a growing plant. That's ONE plant. It was trial and error.

Do some research on aspirin. Good stuff.

~ Auggie ~

I'll second the CloneX, I'm still new at this I use the gel, to dip the stems in, then the solution in the cloning bucket. 31 out of 32 have made it so far

Back
Top Bottom