What keeps deer away from your garden?

Re: what keeps deer away from ur garden?

The best advice i heard for you was the Coyote piss. I live in Nor Cal and I've used Mountain lion piss I got it from a farm supply. It works great.

I had a Muskrat problem they were climbing up the stocks and eating all the nodes. So my old vietnam vet buddy told me to lay out a bunch of juicyfruit gum all over the ground around the plants and the rats ( or even rabbits ) will love the smell and eat the gum. But the gum expands in there stomach and kills them. Sure enough I tried it and a couple days later I started seeing dead rats around my crop. I even baited big rat traps with it and it worked evertime. little tidbit for you, cause you never know the predator you might run into.

Liquid Fence™ - Spray according to directions. Says it lasts a month. I think it's a little bit less than that but it does last a while. Will still be there after a rain (NOT a gully-washer but a normal one).

They also make a product for repelling cats/dogs but I've found that filling a squirt gun halfway with white vinegar and then filling it the rest of the way up with water, shooting the cat when it tries sneaking into your GR, and then putting just a little white vinegar into something with a lot of water and "marking" the area that you've sprayed them for trying to enter works very well. The vinegar doesn't hurt them (don't spray them in the eyes!) but they can't stand the stuff and will smell it in the diluted applications - and long after people will.

I am thinking about setting up a few plants outside as well and I thought of a solution but I haven't been able to test it out. Since male urine works for a few days but washes away in the rain, I was wondering if it would work to fill a plastic bottle or some other container with urine and leave it there with a small hole at the bottom so it continuously drips out.

You guys think it would work?

If I do an outdoor plot , I'll only visit them 3 times before harvest. #1 planting seedlings , #2 seperation of male and female , #3 harvest . The reason why is that continual visitation leaves trails which are highly visible from the air . keep this in mind when doing an outdoor grow ....Safety first !:smokin:

verry true. Going to the site leaves trails for Ranger Dicks (park rangers) and also leaves a trail for the hungry animals to follow thinking it's a way to water or food.

Plant near hungry bears.

:thanks: everyone for ur tips on my war on deer. i should have stated on my original post about where my garden is located. near where i live is a very very large state park, for many years no hunting was ever allowed and the 1000s of "protected" deer didnt have enough food to go around, they then began to starve. i should also mention that the deer are in no way scared of people, u drive through the park and they will just walk up to your car and want some food, a great day for the the city folk to take the kids out and see some nature but when u live here and ur driven home on a dark night and 40 deer run across the road infront of u, its not so fun. the state does allow hunting in the park now on a very limited basis, and while the deer do look better now they are by no means as big,strong, and healthy as the deer that live in the "unprotected" forests not far from the park
i am going to try all of the great tips i got from u guys and will post my success or lack there of in a few weeks. i just wish the deer wouldnt stray on to my land lookin for food, but until the state has a new strategy on how to control the deer population, it will be something i will have to just deal with
:peace:

Ahh. PROTECTED deer. Yeah, man will end up protecting them to extinction.

Kill off all of their natural predators, then disallow hunting. There's a strategy that could only have come from a govt.

I guess they like to see starving animals.

Ahh. PROTECTED deer. Yeah, man will end up protecting them to extinction.

Kill off all of their natural predators, then disallow hunting. There's a strategy that could only have come from a govt.

I guess they like to see starving animals.

yeah i am with this guy.

BAZOOKAS and NAPALM no but realy try putting chicken wire around them and deer attracting hormones away from them like on a big rock far away if you set up camp there you can watch a deer hump a rock, it realy works and its funny cause they get confused but still get it on with the rock

If I'm close enough to observe the deer's sex life, I'm going to be filling my freezer & canning jars.

gunpowder, lead, charcoal, mesquite chips and fire work GREAT if used in the proper order. The mothballs are right on, I have pesticide app. lic. and those are good for keepin' rattlesnakes and critters out from under yer house too. You can get mothball stuff in flake form also. :smokin:

I just got a bottle of coyote urine, that comes with 30 day dispencers for about $12. Havnt tried it yet, but I will this year along with my usual methods.

I have tried that and it works sometimes. You can also use (if you can find it) Wolf hair, Coyote hair, Human hair. What ever predator is natural for your area.

gunpowder, lead, charcoal, mesquite chips and fire work GREAT if used in the proper order.

Right on! No sense feeding the things if they can't turn around and return the favor lol.

The mothballs are right on, I have pesticide app. lic. and those are good for keepin' rattlesnakes and critters out from under yer house too. You can get mothball stuff in flake form also. :smokin:

I've heard about mothball type solutions for quite a while but... Is there any way that they can affect the plants?

:nicethread:

there is a guy who always plants near bee yards,,places where bee farmers keep a bunch of hives,, usually they are in places sheltered from strong winds so usually there is surrounding brush,,

he says he never has problem from deer or any animal, because lots of bears come in the area for the honey,,I've worked for a couple honey farmers, once one shot 60 bears in 3 months in or around his bee yards,,he had electric fences but they still sometimes smash through those,, or the fence fails,,

and as for the humans,, the only ones that go anyway near the bees usually are the workers to pull honey,, many times fellow workers (usually new ones) would gag walking into a bee yard because of the stench of skunk in the air,,
rest assured,, that same honey farmer also trapped dozens of skunks in the yards as they also quite often frequent bee yards,, so mask smell of flowering plants,,and everyone just smells the skunk,, and not your good skunk,,:cheesygrinsmiley:

and as for the bears and skunks or whatever else is brave enough to attempt wandering through an area frequented by bears,, what about them i asked him? do they not bother the plants?,, he said ,,no ,, he thinks they just after the honey and forget all about the plants,,:grinjoint: he has grown in these bee yards for over 15 years,,one downfall he said,, you likely should not be alergic to bee's..;)

Back
Top Bottom