What size of LED light do i need?

bubblegum

hi i have a 1.2m x 1.2m grow tent which i grow 8 plants under a 600w HPS light.
i am wanting to convert to LED but im not sure which size will best replace the 600w HPS???
Any help will be much appreciated!!

THANKS

I would go with a pair of 360watt lights for that space. Check out some of the sponsors here, I use Advanced LEDs but there are several great units made by others as well. Don't go by someone's unit name though, look at the actual wattage they use and the number and type of chips on the board.

Budget will be a concern for some as well, but don't go cheap on them.

Look for 3 watt chips, the ones I use have 288 3watt chips and draw about 400 watts (that is a total of 864 watts in chips, but it draws 360 watts, so they call it a 360 not an 864). They don't drive the chips to their max of 3 watts each because it will produce a lot of heat and reduce the lifespan of the unit. Most companies try to strike a balance between heat and output.

Another consideration is the types of chips and spectrum output. My units use USA made chips and have 11 wavelengths.

Before you make the purchase check out grows by other users and get their opinions. I am very pleased with the ones I have, but others have opinions about their units that are as valid as mine.

When you do decide to make a purchase, here are some questions you want to ask the company:
1) How long is your warranty?
2) What is your replacement procedure?
3) Are your units in stock, or do you drop-ship them from the factory?
4) How many employees do you have? (some companies claim to have in-house scientist, ask for their credentials if they are making that claim. Some one-man operations are fine, but then one person is taking, filling and shipping orders and handling customer service)
5) Ask for details on the light, number and type of chips, actual wattage use etc..
6) When will this unit ship, and when can I expect to have a tracking number?

There are a bunch of "one-man" operations out there drop-shipping lights from China, and some of them are OK units. The issues will start when the unit breaks, has a faulty driver, fan stops etc... If they ask you to send the light back and THEN they will send you a replacement, that is an issue, they should send the replacement out immediately and allow you to return the light in the box the replacement came in--postage paid!

Another thing, almost every light is made in China, that is not a problem. But, not all Chinese lights are made the same. Ask about who makes the actual LED chips, are they USA made or Chinese made.

ok thats great help thanks. could you pm me where you got yours lights from?
Do you find much time and yield difference with leds and hps?

My lights are from Advanced LEDs, they're a sponsor, so no need to PM. I've never grown with HPS, I have height and heat restrictions. I use T5HOs for cloning and moms and then they go right into 12/12 under the LEDs. Last grow netted 20ozs of trimmed-cured bud from a 2x6x4 space, so I think they produce fine. I doubt I could have fit an HPS system in that space (would have needed two light, that's a lot of heat).

I've seen die-hard HPS growers swear they'd never grow with "lite-brites" but are now converts. I don't have an opinion one way or the other since the only way I've grown is with LEDs.

i have been having a think guys and i am now wondering if 2x300w CFL lights will put out the same power and performance as a 600w HPS???

I think the CFL uses less electricity and they do produce less heat and humidity than the HPS which is trhe main factor i am trying to reduce.....without spending a fortune on LEDs.

Even if i replace the 600w HPS with 3x300w CFLs the heat will be a lot less and the yield will be more???

CFLs won't have the penetration other lights do. You will want to LST or SCROG your plants so you can keep them close to the lights and maximize top sites. Your lower buds won't be as big or dense as they would be under an HPS or a good LED.

If you are thinking of flouro, also consider the T5HO fixtures, I use them for moms and they do the trick. If you are looking at the 300w CFLs make sure you are looking at actual watts and not the "equivalent to" rating.

Back
Top Bottom