LED lighting: What’s ideal?

Wilky

I’m contemplating switching from HPS 600w to an LED lamp.
I have a 1.2 x 1.2M grow tent.
Hoping to save on electric cost.
What specifications would people recommend, as far as wattage and number of LED’s, dimensions etc.
Been recommended a Mars Hydro Eco 600w by a pal, his tent is slightly smaller by 0.2M sq.
After a little search I found this other one but cant see a brand name. You see the difference in price!
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated
The top price is about my budget limit
26539892-E25F-40CC-B33E-9DF91FAA0DFE.png
26539892-E25F-40CC-B33E-9DF91FAA0DFE.png

those things will be a massive disappointment if moving from a 600w hps.

go to the lighting sub-forum. learn everything you can about quantum boards, cob, and strip lighting.

full

full

full

full

all of these were diy built by members.

In a 1.2 m² area, a 600-watt HPS would have been somewhat inadequate. Would have benefited from at least another 175 watts of strong light, IMHO. And a 1,000-watt HPS wouldn't have been too much light for that size space, especially if you weren't growing 100% (or nearly so) indica strains.

The above assumes photoperiodic strains. If growing autoflowers, it would probably have been about right for indicas, since you could flower at 18 hours (or more) of light per day, and might have been adequate - more or less - for indica-leaning hybrids.

Anyway, how many of those blurple LED panels were you planning to purchase? Because two of the Mars Hydro ECO 120 (their actual model name) aren't going to do the job. Three... might. And I suspect that the other model you've shown in your image is even more inadequate.

If you want to go with the Mars Hydro brand, three of their SP-250 models would probably work well in your space. Or perhaps two TSL-2000 and an SP-150. You might have to play around with the various possible combinations of their TS and SP series until you come up with one that would match your grow space's footprint (area), but those two possibilities are an example of the power I'd recommend, they just might not necessarily produce the best lighting footprint.

There are, of course, other LED grow light manufacturers/companies. But if you do go with Mars Hydro, choose from those two product lines instead of the older technology stuff. And buy from the company instead of a reseller, lol. The shipping will be really cheap - and you might try asking their forum rep if she could find a discount code for you, what with having to purchase multiple items and all.

In a 1.2 m² area, a 600-watt HPS would strong light, IMHO. And a 1,000-watt HPS wouldn't have been too much light for that size space, especially if you weren't growing 100% (or nearly so) indica strains.

The above assumes photoperiodic strains. If growing autoflowers, it would probably have been about right for indicas, since you could flower at 18 hours (or more) of light per day, and might have been adequate - more or less - for indica-leaning hybrids.

Anyway, how many of those blurple LED panels were you planning to purchase? Because two of the Mars Hydro ECO 120 (their actual model name) aren't going to do the job. Three... might. And I suspect that the other model you've shown in your image is even more inadequate.

If you want to go with the Mars Hydro brand, three of their SP-250 models would probably work well in your space. Or perhaps two TSL-2000 and an SP-150. You might have to play around with the various possible combinations of their TS and SP series until you come up with one that would match your grow space's footprint (area), but those two possibilities are an example of the power I'd recommend, they just might not necessarily produce the best lighting footprint.

There are, of course, other LED grow light manufacturers/companies. But if you do go with Mars Hydro, choose from those two product
[/QUOTE]
In a 1.2 m² area, a 600-watt HPS would have been somewhat inadequate. Would have benefited from at least another 175 watts of strong light, IMHO. And a 1,000-watt HPS wouldn't have been too much light for that size space, especially if you weren't growing 100% (or nearly so) indica strains.

There are, of course, other LED grow light manufacturers/companies. But if you do go with Mars Hydro, choose from those two product lines instead of the older technology stuff. And buy from the company instead of a reseller, lol. The shipping will be really cheap - and you might try asking their forum rep if she could find a discount code for you, what with having to purchase multiple items and all.
would you suggest 2x HPs @400w each?
Not had problem with 1 Dual spectrum HPS at 600w.
The aim is to reduce electricity usage, although may have to use that cost in heating.
May just stick with what I have to be honest. Benefits if any dont seem to be worth the test or additional cost.
I might look into a DIY board when I have studied those options and have time to try.
Thanks for advice

OK, so a 1.2m x 1.2m is the same as a 4x4.

Look at the following page from LED Grow Lights Depot to get a reference point.

The lights above will work for your space. You will want something in the 600w-700w range, (true watts from the wall, not some bollocks in advertising where they call it 600w and it actually draws 50w or whatever). If going with a Quantum Board type light like the HLG's on the page above, then those run about 500w from the wall.

In all honesty, I'd look at something that's quantum board. Whether that's HLG, or another forum sponsor in Budget LED.

If you want to run on the cheap(er) side, I would look at a Mars Hydro TS 3000, or TWO of the TSL-2000.

However, at either of those points, you're 70% of the way to a good quantum board, which would be well worth the investment.

$74 for HLG mini qb96 elite kits on the HLG website. They are having a sale.

Most of the new boards coming out are rspec meaning they are red enhanced. The older boards are referred to as v1 and v2. This is HLG lights.
I'm not sure what budget led calls their red enhanced light.

$74 for HLG mini qb96 elite kits on the HLG website. They are having a sale.

Most of the new boards coming out are rspec meaning they are red enhanced. The older boards are referred to as v1 and v2. This is HLG lights.
I'm not sure what budget led calls their red enhanced light.

budget is doing a rspec light and does lights with other spectrum specific diodes as well.
at present it looks like they can build a board to individual specifications, making it useful to those looking for custom builds and control.

Not had problem with 1 Dual spectrum HPS at 600w.
The aim is to reduce electricity usage, although may have to use that cost in heating.
May just stick with what I have to be honest

Depends on your electricity rates. Usually the savings aren’t enough to come out ahead after paying the high prices for LEDs. If you’re going to have to add heat after- there goes all the hypothetical savings and you’re even more in the hole.

Honestly don’t believe all the hype - definitely don’t swap what you have now for any of those cheap LEDs. If you’re going to get some, get the high end stuff as the other folks mentioned. Enough high end light$ and your bud quality and yield can increase. But don’t expect that result from cheap stuff.

Also just a note based on those lights you posted- if you aren’t aware - LED manufacturers typically inflate their numbers and label their products with a false wattage. None of those lights you posted will be 600 watts. For example the M Hydro Eco 600 draws around 250 watts. Probably the no-name brand ones draw even less.

Watts aren’t everything but they provide a good baseline, and those lights you posted don’t come anywhere close to being as good as a 600w HPS.

My 600w HPSs cover flowering areas that are about 4’ by 3.5’. They’re a little weak around the edges but reflective walls balance that out. A 4x4 space is stretching a 600w slightly, but definitely doable.

Best advice I could give you is cut costs and cut corners on everything you want but do not skimp out on the lights. You will find you also get more bang for your buck if you build your own lights. Look at the links in my sig. I tried to figure out who made the best LED lights and HLG are right up there so I pretty much reverse engineered what they did. If you can believe it I used Costco cookie sheets in my light build. Best part is they work and worked well. Pretty soon I will fire them up for a 2nd grow.

Best advice I could give you is cut costs and cut corners on everything you want but do not skimp out on the lights.

This.

Although I would also add "tent" (if using one) to that as well. You don't want a shit tent that's going to not be able to handle the weight of your gear.

budget is doing a rspec light and does lights with other spectrum specific diodes as well.
at present it looks like they can build a board to individual specifications, making it useful to those looking for custom builds and control.

Our Red Spec light is similar to HLG. Customers have great success with it. The Samung and Osram mix diodes work well. Our full spec board is also a solid option with the added UV. All our lights come with a 3 year warranty. We also only advertise our lights at their real wattage draw. We never understood the false naming other than a way to mislead a potential customer.

You can also save 10% with the forum sponsor coupon "420MAG". Lastly, were veteran owned.

Watts don't really mean anything other than on your electric bill.
Optimally what you're looking for is between about 700-950 PPFD as evenly as possible across your whole canopy.

Regardless what type of light you just need to strive to get that 700-950 PPFD.

You can get that PPFD with a 600w HPS but it will cost you about double plus the electricity that a good LED will cost.

My LED I just built gives me about 300+ more PPFD than the average 600w HPS.
And at just 325 watts.
And I can dim it down to equal a 600w HPS and only be burning about 225 watts or less especially since I can hang it much closer than the HPS.
And that doesn't even count that most of the LED spectrum is more usable than the HPS spectrum.
That's about a $24 difference per month in electricity cost vs a 600w HPS and we have cheap cost per kwh.
If you always have a grow going that's close to $300 a year.

A good LED strip light configuration also gives much more even coverage.

I've heard that most of the lights on amazon can not match their prices. No matter how much they spend. So take care of your choice.

It's hard to match a DE HID 1000 watt bulb with an LED that is affordable. I find also, that HID gives me a lot more flexibility. I can go from 500-1150 watts. and color from 2000K to 10000K. Cost is about $200 for a complete unit. The CMH 630W lights are supposed to be good, too, though a little more expensive, and bulbs last over 20,000 hours. A lot depends on electricity costs.

used to try track this stuff.

the 12 cob 600 watt (real draw light) i built pays for itself in energy savings in about 3 - 4 grows. that is assuming a full spectrum light with plants starting / vegging / finishing under the same light.

so it takes a couple years before you see any cost benefit. after that you are gaining serious ground. if you live in a warm climate, you will see the cost benefit a lot sooner with reduced cooling costs factored.

What does a kwh of electricity cost you Bluter? Mine is 11 cents
it's pro-rated and changes seasonally. i will have to look up where it is currently. i know it has gone up a tiny bit since i tried to figger out what that light cost to run.

should note cooling costs are a zero sum factor in how i grow, so it has no impact.
i did have to add heat in the veg room tho. this would not be a factor if i had gone with a 400 - 600 watt hps or a 315 watt cmh. i run a 200 watt real draw cob in the veg room, replacing about a 400 watt hps.

the kwh rate starts at 14.3 cents / kwh then ramps up thru 16.6 / kwh after a few thousand ( a lot ). it caps at 16.6. it is suggested that the average is 15.6/kwh. there is also a minimum service charge starting at $25/mo. this also ramps up by about $8 as the usage goes up. there are also peak demand charges.

most opt for an averaged payment plan, so there aren't spikes in the bills. a suggested average bill is just under a couple hundred / mo, and maxes around $250 / mo

by comparison commercial rates are .07 cents / kwh, but quickly go up based on square footage of all things.

I do love the full spectrum light from the QBs. I think I’m going to save for a couple more panels and set them up in my spare room for growing greens in winter and as a sort of SAD-lamp.

Back
Top Bottom