What sort of dirt to use for outdoor grows?

RandyL

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest dirt for my indoor grows, but I was wondering about for outdoor grows.

I've read that a hole a couple feet by a couple feet needs to be dug and filled with FF dirt, but that would get EXPENSIVE fast. Plus buying 50 bags of FF somewhere might make people wonder.

What about commercially available topsoil to start the plants in? I could get a couple tons without arousing suspicion, and give the plants a decent base to start in. And it would be cheaper as well.

Of course I'd also give them FF nutes, PH'd properly, although I'm not sure how much of a difference the PHing would make considering that they would be getting regular rain a lot also.

Im with you on this one...in the past I used strictly FF ocean forest and FF nutes for my outdoor grows. But this year I went with a bigger grow and FF ocean forest didnt fit into the budget. Im using Miracle Grow Organic garden soil and at 7-10 bucks a bag it beats the wheels off the FF 30-50 bucks a bag price. Its apparent that FF ocean forest is that heat because though the plants are doing great, they arent as big as they would be in ocean forest, yet again, we have had an abnormally wet spring and summer so far, which hasnt allowed the plants to grow like..well...weeds! So I dont know what to say about that..I would like to try this set up next season just to reflect the results and to really see if the MG organic is better/worse then FF ocean forest....I have tried the Happy Frog soil, and it was a complete headache!! I know its made by FF, and its supposed to be Ph balanced. But as I stated earlier, I use only FF nutes and when I started to introduce FF tiger bloom gradually as suggested in even smaller amounts then what the label said, I was fighting a PH balance problem and Nute problems the entire flowering cycle, and I think my end result was the result of those problems..they babies grew nice looking buds, but they werent as dense, not as big of donkey dick buds, and the smoke wasnt too impressive either...never had a problem using the same nutes with FF Ocean Forest ( 5 years of outdoor grows)..So far the best soil Ive found is FF Ocean Forest, and so far so good with the MG organic..and again for the price per bag for the size of grow..cant be beat..as far as store bought soil goes...

If money is a concern I would suggest amending the dirt you remove from the hole. Buy some high quality compost, Peruvian seabird guano and perlite. Mix it all together until it feels like the right consistency you need (grab handfuls of the mix and squeeze it into a ball, then see how it falls apart)

That is the cheapest option for decent soil. You can always add more nutes or differnt brands for added organic benefit. I personally use a lot of Peace-of-Mind fruit formula and lawn formula for added microbes. This is in addition to my liquid teas.

I have a friend who has an outdoor plant and gets only dry ferts like guano and peace of mind and it's stem is over five inches in circumference at the base. No other soil amendments other than compost.

dirtfarmer

how big is that container you are growing in ?
been a indoor gardener 12 yeras now but starting my 1st outdoor grow and wondering to put it directly in the ground or ina a big pot like yours .

cheers

most nursery's will discount on large orders and by the full pallet.

blending your own takes a lot of work, but can be done for sure. renting a cement mixer is a good way to mix large amounts of soil and amendments.

Back
Top Bottom