What to do: Thrips and a horde or regular spiders eating them while in flower

Morda Grown

So today I went out to check plants. I was saw webbing around the top cola of my best plant. :jawdropper:
(Was not there yesterday, that I noticed)

I first thought Ohhh Crap Spider Mites! I brought in some of the leaves that had webbing and put them under the scope. Did not see 1 egg or mite. However, did see 2 thrips and 1 regular baby spider...small but, definitely a regular Cob Web spider. I went out then and did a white paper test and not one thrip fell on the paper. I did however see at least 10 regular (of varying size and verity) of spiders around the were the webs were. My thought is the spiders are there because of the Thrips and having a meal of them.

Here is my dilemma, It is in full flower... Should I spray for the thrips and do a bud wash at harvest. Should I just let the spiders do their thing and take care of the thrips. Keeping a close eye on them and remove any web that is showing...

All I have to work with is Spinosad. This will not harm the spiders but, is not recommended in flower. Yes I could order something off the internet but, I really do not want to treat with anything that is going to make the buds taste crappy. There is the I don't want to smoke it either not knowing what it may do to us.

Yes, I know in the end it is my choice but, I really would like some thought's of others.

EDIT: Noticed I posted this in the wrong section, have already asked for it to be moved.

Whever possible, I avoid any type of spray once in flower. If you're not seeing a lot of leaf damage, it sounds like the spiders are doing their jobs, let them, unless you really start to see damage. It's a little late in the season, but lady bugs can often be purchased, let them go on the plants and they'll help keep the thrips/aphids down. If outside, throw a fine net over the plant to trap the lady bugs on the plant for a couple days.

Whever possible, I avoid any type of spray once in flower. If you're not seeing a lot of leaf damage, it sounds like the spiders are doing their jobs, let them, unless you really start to see damage. It's a little late in the season, but lady bugs can often be purchased, let them go on the plants and they'll help keep the thrips/aphids down. If outside, throw a fine net over the plant to trap the lady bugs on the plant for a couple days.

Yes I agree, I really do not want to add anything in flower. I did add some diatomaceous earth to the soil though. I wonder if I can get some lady bugs locally. I will have to look into that. We do have a lot of large scale green houses in the area. I did check my other plants and 1 other has them. They are not heavy, only a couple dropped on the paper from the main cola. What sucks is these are both of my best plants. :( I'm looking at around 5-8oz of dry bud from each plant.

I just wonder if I defoliated the plants if it would slow them down. My fear is they would just dig deeper into the buds. I don't see any thrip damage yet either so I know it is just starting.

I would say I'm about 4-5 weeks away from harvest... If that helps. They are outdoor plants as well.

buds8.30.21-01.jpg

buds8.30.21-02.jpg

I would hate to loose these to thrips but, it would be worse to loose these buds from insecticide. Either way with what time they have left just wondering if would just be best to just let it go and do a good bud wash at harvest on these to salvage what is here.

Hi @Morda Grown - fighting bugs is hard work and often futile, especially outside
A bit of defoliating might well be a case of damage limitation to avoid mass multiplication
A dose of CaMg or two will help the plant recover, looks like it could do with it anyway

Hi @Morda Grown - fighting bugs is hard work and often futile, especially outside
A bit of defoliating might well be a case of damage limitation to avoid mass multiplication
A dose of CaMg or two will help the plant recover, looks like it could do with it anyway

I finally got some Fox Farm Cal-Mag a few weeks ago and have been treating them with it. You are seeing a lot of over watering damage and over feeding damage. We have had a very wet year here. The last couple days we got over 10" of rain. (In Michigan). It has been very hard getting them to dry out between feedings. Since all the feeds are mixed with water.... well yeah, just adds to the frustration.

EDIT: I'm going with fabric pots for next year and they will be in a green house where I can have better control.

I would hate to loose these to thrips but, it would be worse to loose these buds from insecticide. Either way with what time they have left just wondering if would just be best to just let it go and do a good bud wash at harvest on these to salvage what is here.
I would treat with spinosad up to 5/7 days before chop and wash. They get sticky, bugs wash out. Plain water with some pressure will wash some away now. Do it when buds can dry out before night.

I would treat with spinosad up to 5/7 days before chop and wash. They get sticky, bugs wash out. Plain water with some pressure will wash some away now. Do it when buds can dry out before night.
So best to do early morning then? Spinosad can be used that close to harvest? ok... I was under the impression it was not good during flower because in absorbs into the plant. Thrips eat plant they die. I will deffenitly think about doing that. For sure the water washes will done to cut the down without damage Thank you!

I wouldn’t even water wash. Keep a growers eye on it, and minimize the damage, if at all possible. None of us will ever be masters, doesn’t exist in horticulture. You just learn to better manage these issues as they arise. That’s my experience. Bet it doesn’t happen next grow.

Once you are in FULL flower, week 5 and beyond, you are what they say, committed, my brotha. I would not recommend spraying anything at this point. Learn to recognize a bad investment, and simply cut your losses. Wait til the end, and re-assess.
I dealt with little b-tards before while in veg. I'm not thinking there is a total loss here, even if I did nothing. Spraying with water before applying a spray is a recommended task with thrips. Again, that is in veg. From what I have been reading Amblyseius (=Neoseiulus) cucumeris (Predator Mites) is what most organic green houses use for Thrips. The wife is not hep on Mites, she is under the thought that they will infect the dog and such. I tried to tell her that these are not those kind of mites but, yeah.

I have already lost 4 plants to weather and one because a tree fell on it. Can't afford to loose more and will do what I can to make it through.

Yes I will better prepare for next year, already working on that. ;).

I dealt with little b-tards before while in veg. I'm not thinking there is a total loss here, even if I did nothing. Spraying with water before applying a spray is a recommended task with thrips. Again, that is in veg. From what I have been reading Amblyseius (=Neoseiulus) cucumeris (Predator Mites) is what most organic green houses use for Thrips. The wife is not hep on Mites, she is under the thought that they will infect the dog and such. I tried to tell her that these are not those kind of mites but, yeah.

I have already lost 4 plants to weather and one because a tree fell on it. Can't afford to loose more and will do what I can to make it through.

Yes I will better prepare for next year, already working on that. ;).
Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. You can see from my last post, that I was even hesitant of the fertilizer I used. The wife can rest assured that your issue is more than likely contained to your grow. I’m not going to get into what it is and what to do, I’m going to leave that fo more seasoned growers. I would just say, that because we are not professionals, take it as a learning experience. That’s all it is. Makes you danker in the long run, and that’s what matters.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. You can see from my last post, that I was even hesitant of the fertilizer I used. The wife can rest assured that your issue is more than likely contained to your grow. I’m not going to get into what it is and what to do, I’m going to leave that fo more seasoned growers. I would just say, that because we are not professionals, take it as a learning experience. That’s all it is. Makes you danker in the long run, and that’s what matters.
No worries, I could not agree more! :) I am by no means a pro at this. This is only my second year of serious growing. I don't even like talking about last year except I got seeds for this year. :rofl: I'm a "If life hands you lemons make Lemonade" kinda guy. I expect every year to be better than last learning along the way. There is no way I could/would do this without a few others to bounce things off of. I have learned more this year than I knew before this years grow. I give credit to those like you on this board. It is not about right or wrong, it is about ideas that come together, good or bad.

No worries, I could not agree more! :) I am by no means a pro at this. This is only my second year of serious growing. I don't even like talking about last year except I got seeds for this year. :rofl: I'm a "If life hands you lemons make Lemonade" kinda guy. I expect every year to be better than last learning along the way. There is no way I could/would do this without a few others to bounce things off of. I have learned more this year than I knew before this years grow. I give credit to those like you on this board. It is not about right or wrong, it is about ideas that come together, good or bad.
While I'm here - I'm trying the legendary Low N Slow Cure on some StrawGum (H2O2 bud washed)
I swear it was still growing after three days upside down in the dark, not even limp
DSC_0113.JPG

It now fing reeks drying, hanging over the bath with the extractor working 24/7
I am planning to sweat it in a few days, then let it dry in the open

While I'm here - I'm trying the legendary Low N Slow Cure on some StrawGum (H2O2 bud washed)
I swear it was still growing after three days upside down in the dark, not even limp
DSC_0113.JPG

It now fing reeks drying, hanging over the bath with the extractor working 24/7
I am planning to sweat it in a few days, then let it dry in the open
You left them in the dark for 72 hours before harvesting? Or post harvest? I’ve never done either. I was wondering if that actually made a difference.

I finally got some good seeds, as well. Wow, what a difference in quality.

Back
Top Bottom