What's going on?

twoforks

420 Member
Hello,

I have a White Widow growing outdoors; it does not appear to be forming lower branches and is a bit light green, but otherwise the leaves look healthy.
It is about 24" high and thin.
It is growing between tomato plants for cover, which appear healthy.
It was transplanted May 1, 2022.

Does it need more nutrients?
Is the sun exposure too low?

20220701_123750.jpg

Hello - it's still small enough to transplant, any damaged roots will grow back, esp if you strip and bury the bottom 6" of stem. Needs 4hrs full sun per day and then you probably will need some supplemental liquid nutes
Be easier to chop the tomato next to it

Overcrowding. Way to many plants in a small area and they are all competing for water, minerals & nutrients in the soil, and sunlight 'cause every plant around there that is taller gets first dibs on the sun. And the background is dark, very dark which could be because that area gets no sun at all.

At 2 months since the transplant you are right in thinking that it is small for the length of time it has been in the soil. So is the tomato if that has also been there for 2 months (I am thinking of the one in the red wire cage.) Plus I see at least one 'Cole' crop plant, a Kale or Broccoli or Kohl Rabi or any one of that family of plants. Plus something that looks like a Pea plant.

It is growing between tomato plants for cover,...
Stealth growing can be tricky. Have to keep the plants being used for cover in mind plus planning ahead for the way the plants in the area will grow.

Wonder if I can transplant it? After 2 months, the roots might be too spread?
Yes, that could be a problem. You could do some root pruning ahead of time while preparing the new spot. Root pruning like what is done when getting ready to transplant trees and shrubs in a landscape plant nursery.

Everything is so close together; even the tomatoes are closer together than recommended which adds to the challenge.

Side branching has started to show but very small at this stage of growth as you can see that at the node points on the main stem in the photo.

If ya got a veg patch growing I would assume your garden has plenty of natural sun light as well....

So I might just think twice about moving it or transplanting at the moment :green_heart:

Providing the plant is in the location you get the most sun light all year round would be amazing & basically the sun rise's in the East & settles in the West compass points TIP 1.

For the next TIP is slightly mind boggling but the other way round & a tad tricky to explain ? ( took me years to work this out )

For max sun exposure you need to plant on the North facing wall which is actual facing south, Mmm opposite end of the compass point... the sun rise in the East arc's around to the South & settles in the West, so all the good rays of energy of the sun face north.

Yup :ganjamon:

Hello - it's still small enough to transplant, any damaged roots will grow back, esp if you strip and bury the bottom 6" of stem. Needs 4hrs full sun per day and then you probably will need some supplemental liquid nutes
Be easier to chop the tomato next to it
It gets a solid 4 hours of full sun, the rest is shade or mottled.
Overcrowding. Way to many plants in a small area and they are all competing for water, minerals & nutrients in the soil, and sunlight 'cause every plant around there that is taller gets first dibs on the sun. And the background is dark, very dark which could be because that area gets no sun at all.

At 2 months since the transplant you are right in thinking that it is small for the length of time it has been in the soil. So is the tomato if that has also been there for 2 months (I am thinking of the one in the red wire cage.) Plus I see at least one 'Cole' crop plant, a Kale or Broccoli or Kohl Rabi or any one of that family of plants. Plus something that looks like a Pea plant.

Stealth growing can be tricky. Have to keep the plants being used for cover in mind plus planning ahead for the way the plants in the area will grow.

Yes, that could be a problem. You could do some root pruning ahead of time while preparing the new spot. Root pruning like what is done when getting ready to transplant trees and shrubs in a landscape plant nursery.

Everything is so close together; even the tomatoes are closer together than recommended which adds to the challenge.
Yes, there is a kale and the rest is clover for ground cover and hopefully nitrogen. The closest tomato is the yellow cage, about 1.5 feet away. Maybe I'll clear some, probably has a few months left to recover.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom