When feeding, how much to apply?

micro

I am having problems keeping plants alive and I'm having problems identifying what I'm doing wrong with any sort of certainty. My current hypothesis is nutrient problems. I don't have access to hydro stores and real MJ nutes, I have to buy my nutes at a home improvement store (well, I could order them online but I don't really want to risk that).

So, on to my question. There are instructions for chemical ferts like I have (schultz) that tell you to mix them at 1/2 the regular recommended rate for indoor plants. But those instructions don't tell you how much of that mix to apply. I had always assumed that you're suposed to use that mix to fully saturate the soil, but a friend told me I should water with straight water, then add a cup or two of the nute mix into the saturated soil. I have 3 gallon pots, if it matters. Soil is pro-mix with extra peralite, peat moss, and vermiculite.

If all you have is home improvement stores then use "Alaskin Fish ferts" it wont burn your plants and its great to use. I use to use this stuff until I found a hydro store. And if your using dry soil ferts, best way to feed is to sprinkle less then a tsp around the plant and just water. Most home improvement dry ferts feed for a couple months so do these steps every 2 weeks and youll be good. Dry ferts are really for outside grows. They measure by how big your grow bed is. Another dry fert that you can get from your home improvement store is "Osmocote Plus" which is great and will have your plant thrive.

OK, but do you saturate the soil with that mix? Or just add a cup or two on top?

NO, do you have measuring spoons? take 1/4 tsp (tea spoon) and add that to a gallon of water. First how old are your plants? Pro Mix feeds up to atleast 3-6 months so you might not need any ferts yet. Just use additives like super thrive or some type of root production. Which you will do the same start off with 1/4 tsp per gallon. And make sure your PH of the water is inbetween 6.0 -7.0. Then water your plants until you see water leaking from the bottom of the pot.

I have had no luck with Dept. store products. Go for something that is designed for the task at hand here. Just order on Ebay. No risk involved at all. Remember, it is not illegal to buy plant food. I promise things will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom