When should I flush?

Hunh.... I know trying too fast is bad but i like the idea of flushing in theory

What is the "theory" you speak of.

Harshness comes from too much chlorophyll in the plant material.
Many methods to rid that from your produce.
Flushing is NOT one of them.

Interested in the theory tho.

Yeah, you've waited 3 months, then just as it gets to the best bit you cut off its supply.

Cutting off supply would be taking off all the fan leaves. That's where the flowers are getting all of the nutrients from in the last 3 weeks of flower.

That's just the science. Tho

But not all nutrients are translocateable, so there must still be some via roots.

True about some nutrients. There are other methods the plant uses to move nutrients besides the vascular system.

For say Ca - it does move up and around more so by chemical interactions with cells. But is re-mobilized from leaf to plant at Senescence.

In the last 3 weeks of flower the flowers get their nutrients from the fan leaves in a thing called Senescence. Those fans store up energy for the final push to reproduction. When the end is near those nutrients and moved from the leaves to the flowers. The leaves begin to turn from green to yellow as the sugars are translocated to the flowers to be used as energy.

At the end of the day, I let all or most all of my fans fall off.

It does not specify in the report what they flushed with so one would assume it was plain water.
I can see where a flush with water only might not remove any nutes.
However a flush sledge hammer does take the N out.
I flushed according to the directions on a couple plants two weeks into flower and within 10 days I had a serious nitrogen deficiency.
I will never flush again during veg or flower but at the end I'm still on the fence.

It does not specify in the report what they flushed with so one would assume it was plain water.
I can see where a flush with water only might not remove any nutes.
However a flush sledge hammer does take the N out.
I flushed according to the directions on a couple plants two weeks into flower and within 10 days I had a serious nitrogen deficiency.
I will never flush again during veg or flower but at the end I'm still on the fence.
But if you went 10 days on just water at any point you'd get N Def...
That proves literally nothing lol.
Not being a dick mate just in a sarcastic mood lol.
When the leaves lose colour, it's because the buds are sucking all the goodness out if them. So you are literally forcing the plant into sucking more nutes Into the buds.
All that N that's dissapearing from the leaves only has one place to go mate. Right into your bowl.
Roots provide nutes to the plants structure and leaves. They absorb nutes but as sure as lemmings are suicidal, the roots 100% will not suck nutrients from the plant.
So what else is there to suck all that N from the leaves other than into the buds that you claim are being cleansed of N.
Watch how it happens mate. It starts from the outward tip of the bottom leaves and works it's way backwards and up the plant.
That's because you're starving it and forcing all the nitrogen and everything else from the leaves and stems into the buds.
It's a self defence mechanism. They cannibalise themselves to make sure the buds survive longer and therefor have more chance of reproduction. It's quite clever really once you get into it and figure out how everything moves about and why. Makes you wonder if they do have what we would class as intelligence. They're smart lil fuckers these plants mate. Just make life simple for them and they'll do the rest.
I'll tag you in my journal and in around 9 weeks time I'll be able to show you on a digital how the plants slow down their feeding and do all of the above themselves anyway because they know they're about to die.
Can feed em all you want, they wont absorb it but they do still want a little nutes for those last couple weeks.
It's not much, quarter strength at most from my findings, gradually ending up at almost nothing once they're done.
They pull the plug themselves when they want to. Just like lemmings :)

But if you went 10 days on just water at any point you'd get N Def...
That proves literally nothing lol.
Not being a dick mate just in a sarcastic mood lol.
When the leaves lose colour, it's because the buds are sucking all the goodness out if them. So you are literally forcing the plant into sucking more nutes Into the buds.
All that N that's dissapearing from the leaves only has one place to go mate. Right into your bowl.
Roots provide nutes to the plants structure and leaves. They absorb nutes but as sure as lemmings are suicidal, the roots 100% will not suck nutrients from the plant.
So what else is there to suck all that N from the leaves other than into the buds that you claim are being cleansed of N.
Watch how it happens mate. It starts from the outward tip of the bottom leaves and works it's way backwards and up the plant.
That's because you're starving it and forcing all the nitrogen and everything else from the leaves and stems into the buds.
It's a self defence mechanism. They cannibalise themselves to make sure the buds survive longer and therefor have more chance of reproduction. It's quite clever really once you get into it and figure out how everything moves about and why. Makes you wonder if they do have what we would class as intelligence. They're smart lil fuckers these plants mate. Just make life simple for them and they'll do the rest.
I'll tag you in my journal and in around 9 weeks time I'll be able to show you on a digital how the plants slow down their feeding and do all of the above themselves anyway because they know they're about to die.
Can feed em all you want, they wont absorb it but they do still want a little nutes for those last couple weeks.
It's not much, quarter strength at most from my findings, gradually ending up at almost nothing once they're done.
They pull the plug themselves when they want to. Just like lemmings :)
Well I fed those two plants with big bloom which I thought had more N than it does.
I had never had a N problem on anything before and this was the first time I’ve used the sledgehammer. I made that judgement on my results.
I thought the idea of the final flush was to clean the soil not the plant. Photosynthesis should burn up the nutrients still left in the plant from the roots up?

flush 4 10 days man it's short and sweet my opinion u give 3 waters let dry up completely water again Hence flush there should b enuff nutes in soil from ur feeds and it stored them as well so if unhave an overstorage my guesse that's were the chemical taste is present or maybe more of a hay smell not as much good weed smell turns to a leafy smell. just do a 10 day or last week

I only flush after pk 13-14, with one load of water just to get rid of excess build up before using flower finisher... Then because the finisher is 0:coolsmoker:25 I flush 1-3 times over as many days, just to get rid of any excess salts or build up in medium.
With shooting powder you can see it go from orange run off to clear...bang...your done.
Thats coco an inert medium where flushing is used to fix or rid the medium of unwanted elements or build up.

Not only N is taken from leaves...the buds want the sugars.
Now you spent a whole grow feeding those storage containers up, why not use them?
Is part of the reason nutes like mine drop back to 1/2 strength the last 3 weeks. Its easier and faster for plants to feed from the leaves, as you can see as your feeding from roots , it slows in late flower.

Flushing at end is not soo stupid and you dont lose nutes...if plants are totally green at end of harvest, you wasted stored energy, and rammed it home via roots instead, ignoring the plants natural reaction to eat itself, reproduce and,survive.....

Why not start a Journal here? We love to watch plants grow. Seriously.

Tag me bro?

Flushing... don't get me started.

Reason that plants are not taking up nutrients from the roots at end of flower:

Much more efficient to move nutrients from the leaves.
Those leaves are much closer and have the nutrients already ready!
It's science.

It's been a thing since before hoo-man.

I only flush after pk 13-14, with one load of water just to get rid of excess build up before using flower finisher... Then because the finisher is 0:coolsmoker:25 I flush 1-3 times over as many days, just to get rid of any excess salts or build up in medium.
With shooting powder you can see it go from orange run off to clear...bang...your done.
Thats coco an inert medium where flushing is used to fix or rid the medium of unwanted elements or build up.

Not only N is taken from leaves...the buds want the sugars.
Now you spent a whole grow feeding those storage containers up, why not use them?
Is part of the reason nutes like mine drop back to 1/2 strength the last 3 weeks. Its easier and faster for plants to feed from the leaves, as you can see as your feeding from roots , it slows in late flower.

Flushing at end is not soo stupid and you dont lose nutes...if plants are totally green at end of harvest, you wasted stored energy, and rammed it home via roots instead, ignoring the plants natural reaction to eat itself, reproduce and,survive.....

"Waste" is a wholly academic word in this context. The cost of nutes wasted is not even worth considering. If my plant reaches bud maturity with green leaves I know that it was lacking nothing nutrient-wise throughout its life and it achieved it's full potential. There's a lot of BS concerning cannabis cultivation and this is one of them.

Why not start a Journal here? We love to watch plants grow. Seriously.

Tag me bro?

Flushing... don't get me started.

Reason that plants are not taking up nutrients from the roots at end of flower:

Much more efficient to move nutrients from the leaves.
Those leaves are much closer and have the nutrients already ready!
It's science.

It's been a thing since before hoo-man.
No, it's a very misunderstood thing that's been going since the dawn of time mate.
You ever seen a plant in the wild that was miraculously flushed by nature?
No. You haven't. Because you can't flush a plant.
You can starve a plant and make it turn yellow. That I can't argue with. It is 100% doable to starve a plant and make it turn yellow. You've got me mate. Science wins.
Yellow/purple/starving leaves are normal in a plant.
Imagine what it must be like eating an apple that nature hasn't starved of nutrition for 2 weeks.
Imagine how rank a banana that hadn't had its natural habitat stripped of all known nutrition from some freakish act of God must taste.
Wow man, I can only imagine how good the food tastes in your corner of the flat earth. It must be awesome.
Bet even the cows grass is killed before it gets eaten. Your milk must be out of this world!!!!

It's all in the dry and the cure mate. You 100% can not perform miracles and magically suck nutrients out of the buds at the same time as forcing the plant into cannabalising itself and sucking all the remaining nutes into the buds.

Off to bed but I'll be back on when I get back from work tomorrow. At which time I will tag in a link to the world's first (that I know of) proof that "flushing" as you call it, makes absolutely zero scientific difference to the chemical make up of the buds.
Yes, go rock yourself into a coma for the next 17 hours because somebody finally done it.
Ooooooohhhhh yeaaaaahhhhh!!!!
:):):):)

Flushing is a catch all safety if you cant understand how much to feed the plant basically.
if you dont know how to feed, might as well flush.
but us that have grows dialed in dont need to and wont, im not flushing my current plant and its by far my best to date. i fed properly and have no need to flush, so why would i?
following my feed schedule i am getting a fade on my fans, funny how actually following directions works better than flying by the seat of your pants thinking tons of nutes will make the plant grow better than HAVING to flush out of neccesity because you have a bunch of build up in your medium.

flushing is for toilets, if you gotta flush something you did is shit lmao

:cheesygrinsmiley::idea:

Flushing is a catch all safety if you cant understand how much to feed the plant basically.
if you dont know how to feed, might as well flush.
but us that have grows dialed in dont need to and wont, im not flushing my current plant and its by far my best to date. i fed properly and have no need to flush, so why would i?
following my feed schedule i am getting a fade on my fans, funny how actually following directions works better than flying by the seat of your pants thinking tons of nutes will make the plant grow better than HAVING to flush out of neccesity because you8 have a bunch of build up in your medium.

flushing is for toilets, if you gotta flush something you did is shit lmao

:cheesygrinsmiley::idea:
Haha I'm stealing that quote. Couldn't agree more :)

No, it's a very misunderstood thing that's been going since the dawn of time mate.
You ever seen a plant in the wild that was miraculously flushed by nature?
No. You haven't. Because you can't flush a plant.

:):):):)

Preaching to the choir here bro.

Cation exchange capacity - for sure a thing in soil.

I like to use science. Apparently not just me! :passitleft:

Preach on brother Barney 420.

I got a gooood laugh with this:
(I'm still laughing) and making my day right there!

:rofl::rofl::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Barney 420 said:
Wow man, I can only imagine how good the food tastes in your corner of the flat earth. It must be awesome.

Folks:

Flushing does not work in soil.

Here's why:

CEC = cation exchange capacity.

nutrients enter soil

soil already has minerals with positive and negative ions (cations).

Those cations IMMEDIATELY react CHEMICALLY with the new introduced nutrients.

This changes those nutrients CHEMICALLY into completely different compounds that are bonded to the soil particles. Your question should be how do those new compounds get taken in by the roots of the plants.

Water will not affect them once those nutrients have bonded with the minerals already in the soil.

Why: because those nutrients are now in a different state than they were when you added them to the soil. A chemical bond and change already happened.

Flush away, all you do it drown the roots and kill the micro-oganisms that were actually feeding the plant.

Botany, chemistry, biology and physics, hard to beat the science.

Here's a good question:

How does water added to the soil get into the plant and move away from the soil line somehow avoiding something called GRAVITY??

Plants do not have any way of pumping water from the roots to the shoots.

So how does water get to the shoots?

That's a physics question.

Answer is capillary action.

Yes plants take advantage of this part of our physical environment as well as gravity (fruits fall to ground and reproduce another plant).

In plants that water needs to transpire out thru leaves in order to keep the water (and nutrients) flowing.

Use of fans on your plants is very very helpful in this process.

Back
Top Bottom